Old Engel Fridge Type C cord wiring

Submitted: Friday, Dec 21, 2012 at 15:52
ThreadID: 99585 Views:12222 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, have just bought my first engel, a little 46 litre upright FF from the caravan that they lived in while the Ark was being built. Its still going strong on 240 volt but the 12 volt cord is missing. I have found out it is a type c but they are about $40 and would like to determine it works on that circuit first before shelling out half of what the fridge cost me. Is anyone who has a type c able to wack a multi meter on the two ends and tell me which of the fridge end socket holes are connected to positive and negative? The socket looks like :.. with the far right hole shared with the far the left hole on the 240 plug. So the back of the fridge looks like :..'. with left being 12 volt, the right 3 pins 240 using a standard jug type plug and the middle pin shared. From what little i can find on the internet I believe that of the four left hand pins, two should be positve and two negative. Any help most apprciated, cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave(NSW) - Friday, Dec 21, 2012 at 17:20

Friday, Dec 21, 2012 at 17:20
If you can put a photo of the rear of the fridge and maybe an area where you live some one might have a spare.
Cheers Dave
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 500819

Reply By: Graham & Lynne - Friday, Dec 21, 2012 at 19:55

Friday, Dec 21, 2012 at 19:55
chris h16
I not long bought a old green engel 39 L for $50
Looking at the end of the fridge.
The 2 vertical pins on very left do nothing they are locaters so cann't put different cord in.LOL
The pin to the right of the 2 vertical is Positive power 12V
The pin to the right of that one is Negative this is share with the 240 Volt when white lock out switch is slide sidways.
From above info you should be able to run a Pos and Neg to these 2 righthand pins and the Engel will run on 12V.
Good Luck Graham
AnswerID: 500828

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Dec 22, 2012 at 17:07

Saturday, Dec 22, 2012 at 17:07
Gday Graham,
Here's a photo of mine which confirms what you say:
FollowupID: 776919

Reply By: chris h16 - Tuesday, Dec 25, 2012 at 00:58

Tuesday, Dec 25, 2012 at 00:58
The ancient engel lives! Thanks for the info and the photos guys, just got home and tried it out. The shared pin in the middle is indeed negative, with the one to the left positive. it wouldnt fire up initially, however i found another site that mentioned the vertical pins on a really old engel were some sort of loop circuit. When the fridge is on 240 volt the vertical pins are in fact pumping out 12 volt so they are hooked up to something. With 12 volt plugged into the horizontal pins, as i said, nothing happens, however if you bridge the vertical pins for a second it fires up. You dont have to maintain a connection between the pins, just a quick touch then its off. So I am guessing on a gennie engel type c plug one of those vertical sockets is pumping out current. Also read somewhere that when on 12 volt, the unused 240 volt pins are in fact pumping out 240 volt current on some models, have not checked mine yet but beware anyone fooling around with these old models, apparently thats why the white slide is on the power socket, so you cant touch exposed pins.
AnswerID: 501024

Sponsored Links