Is this a good deal?

Submitted: Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 14:45
ThreadID: 9971 Views:1580 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Wondering what you think of this ute.

1988 HJ75 ute. 2H diesel 278,000km new pistons rings and head at 255,000km as was using oil. New radiator. Body is straight looks good air cond etc. He wants $6500. Leaking oil from transfer case.

Am looking at it again tonight, what should I look out for with this model, are tansfer cases a problem?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nav 80 - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 15:13

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 15:13
Gday Zapper,,,Price sounds OK, take it for a drive and listen for bearing noise in the gearbox,greating of third gear when changing, a hissing noise in fifth or jumping out of fifth. The gearbox is a week point with these vehicles and can cost a bundle to repair like up to $3000 +. If the motor has been reconed and the body has not too much rust you should be OK.
AnswerID: 44110

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 23:28

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 23:28
Sometimes mentioning an RACV or NRMA inspection worries dodgey sellers...

Worth a bluff if you wont wanna spend the $150( I think) for an inspection.

Dont do what some other bloke did not long ago, only looked at car in dark, got home got shafted.
AnswerID: 44167

Follow Up By: Zapper - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 10:20

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 10:20
Truckster

Had another look at the ute yesterday, the guy wasnt there and his mate was supposed to turn up to give me the keys to drive it and he wasn't there either - cant want to sell it too bad! Anyway got underneath to have a look at it. I rotated the front driveshaft then got my mate to lock the hubs and I could still rotate the shaft by hand, does this mean it has a broken axle/diff or something??
FollowupID: 306423

Follow Up By: ross - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 15:37

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 15:37
Zapper the thing to check is the slack in the flanges from the t/case,its a big $$$ job.It could also be the source of the leak.Have a look behind the front wheels for the state of the swivel joints.
Not too sure about the rotating shaft ,but it dont sound good.Is it possible your mate actually unlocked them,you know what mates a like:)

Walk away unless you are sure on this one as you could easily spend the purchase price again on repairs.Then again sometimes if you get a vehicle run down at the right price and fix it up you will have something that has proven work done.In my opinion any landcruiser with a good body is worth 3000-$4000.
FollowupID: 306436

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 18:04

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 18:04
Gday
Rust around the cab, windscreen and batteries, transfer case leaks, front swivel hub leaks,5th gear is week.
Front diff.. if its not the freewheeling hub that is not engaging, it will be a c/v or axle. Motor must have been abused to not last 250kms, most probably overheated as this is also another problem with these models.
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 44217

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 22:11

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 22:11
Anderw, you would know this one better than me

Zapper posted this followup

Truckster

Had another look at the ute yesterday, the guy wasnt there and his mate was supposed to turn up to give me the keys to drive it and he wasn't there either - cant want to sell it too bad! Anyway got underneath to have a look at it. I rotated the front driveshaft then got my mate to lock the hubs and I could still rotate the shaft by hand, does this mean it has a broken axle/diff or something??
FollowupID: 306466

Sponsored Links