Mazda Bravo Cape York Prep

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 01, 2013 at 22:05
ThreadID: 99736 Views:3371 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hey guys,

ive been asking you for help for my trip to the cape in 2014. now im looking at my veichle and making sure its alright to make it.

i have a 2005 Mazda Bravo SDX 2.5ltr Turbo Diesel tray top. the current modifications i have at the moment are:

old man emu heavy duty suspension
dual battery system
long range fuel tank (100L)
uhf 40 channel radio
spotties
snorkel
rear work light
mounted air compressor
mounted tool box in the tray
moved the spare wheel and mounted on the tray
bridgestone duelers
arb bull bar
battery management system

i have plans to add a new winch bar, a winch, cooper at3 with tyre pressure monitoring system. and if money allows then i will put on cruise control.

i dont get enough time to do heaps of time to go 4wding so i will be buying cheap. im planing to get my bullbar from ironman and a winch from tigerz11.

have you guys ever dealt with these guys? if so is it worth the risk of buying cheap or is it better to invest in a better brand?

are there any other ideas of what i should install??

i know this is alot but i need to be able to save extra on the side so i can afford all the modifications :)

thanks

max
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dazmit - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 07:44

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 07:44
Hi Max

Mate & I did The Cape last June / July with a 04 Hilux and 2000 model Triton.

Looks like you are well set up already however neither of us had a winch but we fitted Lokka auto locking front diffs (Great value at $500 and we fitted them ourselves) and Mickey Thompson MTZ tyres. They were an awesome combination with heaps of grip and we were just able to walk the vehicles through everywhere. Considering my Hilux had over 200 000km the rear LSD probably wasn't doing much but I had no problems)
My opinion is rather than buy a new bullbar and winch fit a Lokka to the front and some mud tyres - maybe go the BFG KM2 for a quieter muddie and prob same price or cheaper than Coopers (The worlds most advertised tyre!!).
Less weight the better I reckon to make it easier to get through and easier on the vehicle.
Some people might be surprised but we made without getting stuck once with not one ARB product between us :o)

Cheers

Darryl
Brisbane
AnswerID: 501428

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 10:35

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 10:35
Hi Max, You won't go wrong with Iornman, but if you get Iornman bullbar than I would put a Iornman winch on it as well. Had a cheep winch once and only worked once, after a few creek crossings it filled with water and stopped working. I have had my Iornman winch for over a year now and have been through that many deep creek crossings I lost count and the winch is still working fine. Iornman have a great warranty and replace anything that breaks no question asked.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 501437

Reply By: Member - Grundle (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 18:48

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 18:48
Hi Max just replaced old coopers with 2 new ST3 on front of my Nisson.Was surprised at how quite they are,will be interesting to see how they go offroad

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 501464

Follow Up By: Dazmit - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 18:59

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 18:59
Is the ST3 a new one as I thought they only did AT3 or the STmaxx ?

Cheers

darryl
FollowupID: 777612

Follow Up By: Member - Grundle (WA) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 19:31

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 19:31
Hi Dazmit,yep,typo error,was atr now at3.I think the lugs were getting knocked about,can't see much difference. Though the tyres on the rear have done 65'000 kml.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 777746

Reply By: wozzie (WA) - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 02:48

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 02:48
Depends on what road you take up to the top.If it up the Developmental road, then you should'nt have any trouble. Just take it easy and drive to the conditions.

Too many people race up the road and thats when the problems start.

I think the tally was 5 fatalities for the 2012 holiday season and about 65 odd vehicles lost to one of the creek crossings.

Went up that way last July/August in my 2.5 Courier specced as it is (check it out) and had no trouble.

Usually had around 1/2 ~3/4 tonne on the back.

I would suggest an extra complete spare, and type repair kit Plugs etc. There is nothing worse than "Having" to stop to repair a tyre before you can move on, or to travel further on without a spare. I carried 3 complete wheels.

Other thing is perhaps a couple of jerry cans for extra fuel and 1 for drinking water
Dreamin' agin

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 501589

Sponsored Links