Which CB antenna

I am unsure of what gain antenna I need. I am currently looking at either an 8.1 dbi high gain or a 6.6 dbi medium gain antenna. Does anyone know the range I can expect to get from either of these antenna's when coupled to a 5 watt in car unit.

Thank You
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 18:55

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 18:55
Scoop,

I have a 6.6dB roof-mounted antenna on a 5 watt Uniden. From memory from our last trip to the Centre and West in flat, treeless terrain I get about 15-20km range.

Much less in forested and hilly areas, of course.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 501466

Follow Up By: Scoop - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 21:18

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 21:18
Thanks for that Frank

Has anyone had any experience with an 8.1 dbi gain antenna?
Are they worth their money?

Thanks
FollowupID: 777623

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 10:06

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 10:06
Hi Frank P,
I am looking at a roof mounted too but the height is a worry. I can only get a 6db antenna that is 860mm long (high?).
Thats too high for most areas as it will get knocked off.
The only ones I can see me getting are 3db ones that are 350mm high.

I have been assured that a 3db on the roof will out perform a 6db whip mounted on the bullbar.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 777678

Follow Up By: SDG - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 17:25

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 17:25
I have two that I use for the roof. The longer one for highway use, and the shorter one for in town, or in the bush. Apparently the bounce coming off the metal of the roof is what makes them better.
FollowupID: 777733

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 21:17

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 21:17
An antenna of around 6db is a good all rounder and you will get good results in all terrain.

I'm sure this question will bring out many idea...... the thing is a 3db is good for short hill terrain and a 8db is ideal for flat terrain, how much better is the million dollar question but in real world conditions I would say very little..... I have better things to do when travelling then worrying if I have the right antenna for the terrain.

As for distance....... the receiver and transmitter plays a big part as does the terrain...... FYI we have used two x GME TX6200 handhelds with the short standard rubber ducky antenna to transmit and receive over a distance of 108Km's as the crow flies.

A vehicle mounted radio with a 6db antenna you could expect between 0 and 15 kilometres comfortable and up to 30 kilometres in the right conditions.
AnswerID: 501477

Follow Up By: KSV - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 23:04

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 23:04
Only can echo this comments. I have successful connection with 5W handheld with factory 15cm rubber duck for about 100km. Needs to be noted that I was sitting on Mt Magdala, so line of sight was excellent. Forget about all this gains - UHF very capable for long distance connection, but indeed require line of sight. In other words it utterly useless in hilly and forestry terrain, does not matter what antenna do you use.
Now explanation of this "gains". Spherical antenna will emit in all directions with the same effectiveness and if you chart a graph it will be sphere (surprise, surprise!). Rod (whip) one will emit more in horizontal plane then in vertical, so graph will look like doughnut. More gain one will emit even less vertically and more horizontally - heck, power still remains the same and for "gaining" in certain directions we will need to give up other ones. Consequences very simple - you will not be able to talk to people who on hill while your vehicle on flat. Moreover if high gain antenna is fairly flexible, it will not work that well on the move - particularity on rough road, because it will flex "bending" direction accordingly. So who would need those high gain antennas? Simple - truckies. They can put it high, they run on fairly flat ground and they will appreciate little more reach on flat road. For average 4WDer it will do more bad then good - put even simple piece of wire, it will be perfectly adequate.
FollowupID: 777641

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 22:03

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 22:03
The first question is "Who do you want to talk to?"

Personally I don't want to hear or talk to anyone more than 5km away, but those who I do want to hear, I want to hear clearly, in all conditions.

We use those small rubber antennae of 1 dbi gain. They are cheap and tough and give great short range reception. I carry a long range high gain antennae, just in case, but have never seen fit to use it.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome.
AnswerID: 501482

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 22:05

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 22:05
Scoop, the higher the gain the sooner it gets wiped out on a branch or vibrates itself to pieces. 3 dB is more than adequate for most car to car use.
AnswerID: 501483

Reply By: Trevor P4 - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 14:59

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 14:59
Scoop and Frank P,

You'll need to consider Frank's antenna position, If we all had a choice we would all have ours on the middle of our roofs as well, more height the better, but not practical.

Cheers

Trevor
AnswerID: 501532

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 19:06

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 19:06
I use a GME AE4018k1 aerial and its strong and can take the knocks.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 501566

Reply By: Scoop - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 12:04

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 12:04
what type of antenna would be better/stronger/less likely to break?
Stainless Steel whip or a fibreglass whip.

Thanks
AnswerID: 501629

Follow Up By: KSV - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 12:10

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 12:10
Rubber one.
Fibreglass is second-best, but put attention to good spring mount. SS whips, especially longer ones have tendency to get broken from vibration - already lost few. All this related to 4WD and heavy corrugated roads - on bitumen anything suffice.

Practical solution? Get good base and get cheapest antenna from Dick Smith or similar. Even if you break it it is not that expensive to replace.

Good Luck.
FollowupID: 777818

Sponsored Links