Kalbarri to Karajini

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 20:43
ThreadID: 99774 Views:1593 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
In a few weeks time we will be heading to Karajini to explore around the place. Any advice on free/cheap camp sites near by would be awesome

Will be heading there via Denham, Canarvon, Coral Bay, Exmouth, so any other recommendations along the way would be good too eg. places to stay, visit etc
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RodnSue - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 22:16

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 22:16
Hi Road Trippin Hippies
ummmm, I'd be leaving Karijini for another trip during the dry season & autumn/winter months.

I'd say the temps out there atm would be in the high 30's to low 40's....in the shade.
Unless of course you don't mind the heat. The average rainfall there is around 100mm for Jan.
Besides yourselves, your car will also be exposed to extreme conditions as well.

Karijini is probably near or at the top of the list of the best places of WA we visited in 2011.
The gorges go 100m into mother earth. There's few trees, & to get into the gorges, you have to clamber down exposed rock that will be burning hot.

Could you just concentrate your visit this time round & stick to the coast?
All the way along that coastal area is gorgeous.

Instead of staying in Denham the whole time for that area, if your van is still the 1 in the pic, you could take yourselves out to Cape Peron & camp out there in 1 of the camping spots.
Another area we esp loved, but found it very windy in Sept was Point Quobba.
The snorkeling there is fantastic. The camp spot isn't free, but very cheap, but you will need to be self sufficient. The loos would be for emergencies only, unless things have changed in past 15 mths.
Camping in the National Park spots along Cape Range National Park is very competitive, so you need to book early.
Coral Bay is also very popular for the snorkeling & beautiful pristine beaches.
I'm not sure about Jan & school hols etc, but it could be hard to get a powered spot at either of the 2 caravan parks. Some folks from WA may be more knowledgeable on that 1. You can't free camp any where in that 'town'.

Hopefully some other folk can add some more recommendations for you.

To whet your appetite, you could visit my blog www.ournomadicways.blogspot.com

Hope you have a great time
Cheers
Sue

AnswerID: 501581

Follow Up By: Road Trippin Hippies - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 11:31

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 11:31
Hi Sue,

Thanks for your in depth response. It has given us some good advice to look at. Still wondering which direction our travels should take us, we are getting all different types of advice.

Oh, and your blog was a good read!
FollowupID: 777810

Reply By: Member - jezza68 - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 00:10

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 00:10
Hi Gypsies,

I would have a long think to venturing North of Shark Bay prior to April/May.
The Cyclone Season has commenced in the Northwest and travel can become a lottery.
The temperatures can be extreme as already stated and many campsite and tourist spots can be closed by DEC.

If it is your first time travelling the Northwest i would recommend you delay until the "Dry".

Tamery
(Kimberley Local)
AnswerID: 501586

Follow Up By: Road Trippin Hippies - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 11:33

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 11:33
Thanks for your advice. Good to get local input. Maybe we should look at heading back south towards SA instead? It is a bit of a shame cos we were quite excited about getting to Coral Bay
FollowupID: 777811

Sponsored Links