Kimberly and NT in February.

Submitted: Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 02:04
ThreadID: 99779 Views:1962 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

I have hunted around on the site and not been able to find much about travelling to the Kimberly and NT in feb or summer? I understand that it's not the ideal time but we are limited as to when we can go. If anyone has any info it would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wozzie (WA) - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 02:56

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 02:56
"WET SEASON"

Probably quite a few roads closed due to the "Wet"
Dreamin' agin

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 501590

Reply By: Danna - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 06:41

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 06:41
G'day Sherron V

Would you go to Simpson Desert now?....
You wouldn't would you....?
Same pays for Kimberly!
Only difference is that authorities did have to close Simpson, but they can't close other places when they comes to off season.
Cheers Dana
AnswerID: 501593

Reply By: Top End Az - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 08:25

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 08:25
I guess it depends on what you plan on doing. As mentioned, many of the main attractions off the main road will be closed due to impassable conditions. Additionally, if you are planning on being in a tent then it could be quite uncomfortable. That said, there are very few tourists and you will have the attractions that are open largely to yourself.
Perhaps if you are willing to provide more detail on your trip and how you plan to do it I could be more specific.
AnswerID: 501597

Reply By: KSV - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 08:33

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 08:33
It is about of peak of wet season. When we been in Kakadu I have talked to rangers questioning what is the best time to be there (we been in July). They said July is fine, but immediately after wet (May) is also interesting despite many roads still closed. And before? Waste of time was the answer - almost everything closed. Though you may stay in Darwin (Broome in your case) and have terrific scene flights on chopper. If this is what you want to do then why not?
AnswerID: 501599

Reply By: Sherron V - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 08:44

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 08:44
Thanks everyone, wasn't sure what detail to include but we have a 24foot semi off road self contained van and 4wd. It seems like the trip is not a good idea and the same probably goes for ularu at that time so we will have to come up with another plan.
AnswerID: 501603

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 10:22

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 10:22
Hi Sherron,

If you have a look at the Bureau of Met webside you can see that right now the temperature at Alice Springs is 38 degrees. The past couple of days it has been to 40. Uluru would be very similar, and even with your aircon running flat out you would not be very comfortable. No chance to do anything outside the van aprt from very early in the morning.

As for the Kimberley - it is the wet season when apart from the heat the humidity is very high, making things very uncomfortable if you are not well acclimatised to it and hard to sleep properly as its so hot and sticky. Plus the chance of road closures.

The north surely must be magnificent in the wet but coping with the weather and getting around means that most travellers stay south in the summer and go north in the winter.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 777791

Reply By: pop2jocem - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 10:43

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 10:43
Try www.KimberlyAustralia.com

The ladies name is Birgit Bradtke if the link don't work

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 501620

Reply By: anglepole - Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 12:35

Friday, Jan 04, 2013 at 12:35
Hi Sherron,
I have family in Darwin and have spent many a Christmas there. As others have said it can be very hot and humid.
You can't swim in the sea Box Jelly fish seem to like the wet. You don't have to worry about sharks the crocs have eaten them.
On the upside Darwin in the wet worth the experience at least once. You can often do accommodation deals at this time of the year.
Select a Caravan Park with a shady pool and do the tourist bit in the early and late part of the day. Be sure to have a Sunday night at the wharf, get there early.

Cheers
AnswerID: 501634

Sponsored Links