Am I arrogant?

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 15:19
ThreadID: 99809 Views:4596 Replies:13 FollowUps:45
This Thread has been Archived
Lately, on another nomadic website, it seems as though a very large portion of grey nomads expect a lot for nothing? To me it's getting beyond the point of selfishness what they expect for free.

I try to explain how I see it as a sense of entitlement but I think I'm too often perceived as arrogant or provocative.

I'm sympathetic in that many of them are on a pension. But to me, to hear people complain because they can't find a carpark big enough for their van in the centre of the main st, to hear them complain because they must pay to use a dump point or other things like that, it reeks of a sense of entitlement and arrogance.

Yet I'm pretty sure I'm perceived as arrogant on that site. So...am I arrogant for thinking people shouldn't expect things for free but instead be very gracious when you do find things for free. And if it's not free, open your wallet or move on, but don't complain because there are not free services in a council.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: garrycol - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 15:26

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 15:26
Not arrogant at all - many retirees, particularly those relying on the pension do have a sense of entitlement. My 85yo mum who is on the old age pension says the same - many of her acquaintances believe they should get everything for nothing - by all means respect retirees (I am one too) and assist as much as possible with discounts etc but they should not expect everything for nothing.

Garry
AnswerID: 501740

Follow Up By: Member - Brian A (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 16:41

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 16:41
Perhaps your Mum just remembers the "Good Old Days' when entry to Nat Parks was free and you did not need a fishing licence for each and every State you visited. Even your Driving Licence was issued free in Queensland and for a ten year period. As for thinking your Mum expects everything, remember she is old enough to remember the Hard Times in life that are now thankfully behind us because of people like her.
Brian Adshead

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 777963

Follow Up By: garrycol - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 17:57

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 17:57
I didn't say my Mum thinks like that but her acquaintances do. My Mum is happy to pay a fair price for fair service but many of her friends expect everything for nothing.
FollowupID: 777975

Follow Up By: SDG - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 21:47

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 21:47
In NSW, all those things are free for pensioners.
FollowupID: 778001

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 15:31

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 15:31
G'day
I always say, nothing is free. It means that you want someone else to pay for it!
Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 501741

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 16:55

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 16:55
Maybe someone already paid for it, maybe before you were born?

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 777965

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 17:45

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 17:45
G'day Peter,
I guess what I am trying to say is that it just becomes someone elses cost when people get something for nothing.

For example I have close friends that could never have children & they have often felt that when visiting places that advertise as admitting children for for no cost that they were subsidising other peoples kids to enter for free. I have kids so don't see why others should subsidise them.

As a taxpayer I don't see why I should subsidise people to get "something for nothing". I also don't accept "But I paid taxes all my life". As a community, it's a way of collecting money for services we use all the time & not to expect it all back after we retire.
Don't get me started about all the goverments waste though!

Cheers
Stu
FollowupID: 777970

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 16:49

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 16:49
Just a comment on dump points.
A very high proportion of ALL dump points in Australia have been supplied free of charge by The Campervan and Motorhome Club of Australia, sponsored by KEA Motorhomes and Queensland Transport. Local authorities have covered the cost of installation.
A condition of that supply is that these dump points are available for use by the public free of charge.

As to the carparks in town, it really boils down to a business decision as to whether the town wants to encourage the many potential RVers into their shops, or not.
Walmart in the US go one step further and invite RVers to "camp" in their carparks over night.
It is good for security and it makes good business sense.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
CMCA member S30276
AnswerID: 501748

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 17:21

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 17:21
G'day gordon_adel

No you are not arrogant, but I was called an arrogant pr*ck ~ by a Dutch bloke who was free camping on the shores of the Ophthalmia Dam in the Pilbara some years ago.

The signage at the time near the dam clearly stated "day use area" ~ no camping ~ penalties apply.

This particular bloke had the Bushtracker caravan set up with the annex up (not an awning), generator running to keep the fridges cold ~ in the caravan and the 4wd.

He wandered over to where I had just pulled up within seconds of me being there and started asking about where all the Gold was to be found in the area, as he had read about the areas history !!

Well me being ME ~ said that he must have only heard about the regions history on gold, because if he could read he would not be parked up where he was ~ the sign was in good condition and the text was in English !!!

Well that was the end of that budding friendship, I don't often think about the ignorant Dutchman, so thanks for that gordon.

Safe travels:
FollowupID: 777968

Follow Up By: Rockape - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 18:09

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 18:09
Joe,
a Dutchman calling someone else arrogant. Ha. Ha.

RA.
FollowupID: 777981

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 18:30

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 18:30
Rockape, yeah that thought went through my mind, but I wasn't game to say it.......
FollowupID: 777986

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 00:41

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 00:41
Hi Rockape.

I'm a Dutchman. Good name you use; very apposite.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 778144

Follow Up By: Rockape - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 05:43

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 05:43
Yes!!!! John it suits me to a T.

Regards.
FollowupID: 778154

Reply By: Mick O - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 17:08

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 17:08
Gordon,

I don't really see it that much with grey nomads my friend, perhaps a little intolerance at times but not real selfishness. Mind you I don't travel amongst them often so perhaps my perceptions may be different with a bit more exposure, I don't know but.....have you noticed the behaviour of many teenagers and young persons (Generation X) these days. My goodness how times have changed in my 50 odd years. The arrogance, selfishness and self absorbtion I witness on a daily basis often defies belief.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 501752

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 18:05

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 18:05
I agree with Mick, & hope I ruffle no feathers. The whole thing relates to lack of respect & morals & it rares it's ugly head in all types off peoples.There are the good & the bad in all.
In our travels ,we've seen locals creating the mess .
One such place was on the Stuart highway. A great rest area but you have to watch where you walk although toilets are provided.
There needs to be more respect taught in all schools.
Unfortunately many just don't want to listen.
Take care, safe travels. Ma.
FollowupID: 777979

Follow Up By: Varmint - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 08:54

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 08:54
Hi Ma and Pa I think you are wrong about respect being taught in schools.
This is a copout for parents.It should be taught at home .Every time another issue arises comes the cry is it should be taught in schools. There are only so many hours in a day a school to add another issue that time must be taken from another subject somewhere.
varmint
FollowupID: 778023

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 11:17

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 11:17
That is O.K.
It should come from parents for sure,but a lot of the time the parents have no respect either.
Take care, safe travels Ma.
FollowupID: 778037

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 19:00

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 19:00
No you're not arrogant.Our council doesn't give us what we pay for in our rates. Old age pensioners earned their way & should receive discounts but can't expect everything for free.
This, though , is what they're seeing a lot of eg. Kids free?
It's unfortunately the sign of the times but it's not all of the pensioners who are at fault.
Take care, safe travels. Ma.
AnswerID: 501767

Reply By: disco driver - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 19:28

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 19:28
A lot of the grey nomads of my vintage (Prewar and wartime babies)were too old to benefit from the so-called compulsory superannuation once they retired.

If they grew up in the country towns on low wages, and lots did, there was nothing left after paying all the bills to put away for a rainy day or retirement. Just ask me.

Now they see what is happening with all the so called refugees with the generous payments paid by our ever helpful government to help these people.........................

Is it any wonder they feel that they have a sense of entitlement for what they contributed to this country before the Great Mineral Boom and the Great Refugee Intake.

Disco
(who's a grumpy grey nomad.................. and proud of it!!)
AnswerID: 501769

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 11:48

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 11:48
It's not just people of you vintage who feel hard done by.

We have no kids and we run our own business employing others...... we get no kick backs from anyone for either.

But they seem happy to take more and more from us.
FollowupID: 778049

Reply By: Bazooka - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 19:56

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 19:56
Seems the problem is that basic services which nomads (of all ages) would like at low/no costs are not being provided to anywhere near the extent they are needed right across this huge country so some of the complaining is undoubtedly justified. That should be where pensioner and other advocacy groups get cracking. Governments have plenty of money to splash about subsidising big business, superannuation etc and personally I think the neglect of road traveller facilities is just ignorance and laziness on behalf of state and territory, and to a lesser extent local government, authorities. I can't see any reason why there shouldn't be a matrix of properly maintained public toilets and shower facilities, picnic spots, lay-bys and public camping areas in a country of this size and wealth.

Are you arrogant for your attitude? I don't know but I would say that some of us are very well off compared to others so we should try and put ourselves in their shoes occasionally. "Open your wallet or move on" is something many people are only able to do every now and again.
AnswerID: 501774

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 14:27

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 14:27
Good point Bazooka. There is a lot of very parochial thinking about when it comes to the provision of council services and who benefits. eg If my NSW council provides free tourist facilities they will be used by travellers from all over - so when we go interstate we could reasonably expect similar services. What goes around comes around...

Unfortunately we live in a far from perfect world so I wont hold my breath waiting for it to happen, but you are right, there is no good reason why it should not happen. MH has put a good historical perspective too.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 778080

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 20:34

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 20:34
I think you may be a little tough on grey nomads, who most likely have worked & paid taxes their whole lives without complain, many of whom are still more than happy to pay their own way.
What about the tens of thousands that sit on their backsides all day waiting for the Government "pay"? Many of them have never paid tax in their lives. Now they do have a sense of entitlement!
AnswerID: 501776

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 20:48

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 20:48
Hi gordon_adel

Camping is a great Australian tradition. Getting out the there with the family was a healthy holiday. Head out with the tent, a Tilley lantern and a spade. We camped this way as did our parents and our grandparents. There were holiday resorts along the coast.

Then came the easy life - people wanting electricity, hot showers and all the comforts of home. Caravan parks were expected.

Now we have self sufficient rigs that to buy would cost more that touring in Motels with far more comfort and privacy than caravan parks in towns. That is not what we want. We are not asking for more than day travellers or local residents can expect, and are willing to pay National Park fees or honesty box fees for community run campgrounds.

As a public health service toilets are provided in towns for everyone. With a move to caravans and motorhomes with their own on board toilets, providing dump points is part of this service and what's more as Peter has pointed out they can get them well subsidised. Rubbish bins are provided for residents and travellers alike. Why are some travellers being told by some that they are costing the ratepayers any more than any other traveller or resident?

Parking is provided for everyone. Why does it suddenly become naughty to park overnight just because you have an on board bed?

Some towns which have been disadvantaged by the changes in agriculture and the ravages of drought are sad with al shops boarded up, and many houses derelict because they were unsaleable. Some towns are thriving because they have been innovative and invested in the new wave of travellers. It is a win-win situation.

I actively promote towns like these and will drive out of my way to visit and patronise them, and talk to the locals. It is a very rewarding experience which enriches our touring and holidays.

We purchased an expensive independent outfit so we could get out in the bush. We do sometimes patronise caravan parks in towns so they too gain custom from travellers like us, but our preference is to get away from it all. The cost to the community is no more than for any other travellers.

I hope this makes the reality clearer for you.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 501778

Reply By: mikehzz - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 21:05

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 21:05
You have to pay to go to the toilet at most service stations all through Europe. We have it pretty good I reckon. :-)
AnswerID: 501779

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 23:50

Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 23:50
I've seen some garage dunnies that would make your eyes water. I'd happily pay to visit a well maintained bog. The fee might keep out some of the riff raff whose accuracy is sadly lacking.
FollowupID: 778573

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 09:39

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 09:39
No one should expect something for nothing. But when we get it most of us are thankful.
But, the poor so called grey nomads have been copping a bit of flack this past year. As we get older maybe we do say what we think a bit more and maybe our patience is not what it used to be, but maybe after working all your life since you left school, not going to schoolies week etc, time takes its toll.
Last week the news was about how the older folk, the over 65’s, were basically flagrantly using their private health insurance to maintain their quality of life. Mongrels, how dare they! The article said over 65s comprises 15 percent of membership but receive 48 percent of the benefits. One point I read form an over 65er was that they have been paying into a private health fund since they were 18, they don’t recall any complaint about the fees they have paid for more than 45 years. Good point.
Remember, there are now generations of people who have received unemployment benefits all of their life, they are use to getting something for nothing, (and I am not talking about the genuine unemployed, hell of a thing not to have a job) you don’t get to meet too many of these grey nomads in your travels. All of the grey nomads we have meet in our travels have stories about their hard working life and I admire them.
Just my little say. Kevin
AnswerID: 501807

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 10:53

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 10:53
Arogant...having or displaying an exagerated sence of a persons own importance or abilities.

Its interesting that most people who acuse others of being "arogant" do not understand the meaning of the word.

These people will very frequently acuse others who know their business and are doing their job properly of being "arogant".

People who are ignorant of the matters, willfully doing what they know to be wrong or illegal, or are simply selfish ingrates.

So look to the top of my post and tell me which one is "arogant", the person who knows their business or is doing their job or the ignorant one who simply does not want to be told they are doing the wrong thing?

By extrapolation an "arogant" person will have a sence of entitlement beyond that which is reasonable.

Isn't this all "ironic"...check that one up in the dictionary....lots of people use that word with not a clue of its meaning too.

cheers
AnswerID: 501819

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 15:10

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 15:10
Synonyms.

conceited. condescending. disdainful. haughty. high-handed
narcissistic. overbearing. presumptuous. supercilious. proud
vain.

Source. Wikipedia.
FollowupID: 778085

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 16:55

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 16:55
I'm sure you didn't find either arogant or sence in the dictionary!
FollowupID: 778092

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 23:43

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 23:43
Shaker Mate if you want to pick on every spelling mistake on an internet forum, go ahead......you have a full time job.

How about you partisipate in the discussion rather than making nit picking posts that are irrelivent to the thread.

Rockape....if you look at you list of synonyms, and understand their meanings....some of them don't even come close.

cheers
FollowupID: 778136

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 00:11

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 00:11
If you look I had participated in the discussion.
I didn't introduce dictionary quotations to the conversation, I'm afraid if you do, then you are fair game.
You are correct, it would be a full time job & if you check back through my posts you will find that it is a job that I have chosen not to do!
BTW, is there any difference in my actions to yours of criticising Rockape's synonyms which also most likely came from a dictionary or Thesaurus?

FollowupID: 778139

Follow Up By: Rockape - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 05:48

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 05:48
Bantam,
if you wish to argue with Wikipedia feel free. I am sure you can contact them on line. I don't believe I have an understanding problem at all. Maybe you should have a look at what you stated.

Have a lovely day
RA.
FollowupID: 778155

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 11:43

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 11:43
The difference between my post Shaker and yours is.

Your post was irrelivent to the subject, petty minded nit picking and specificaly targeted as a personal attack on me and what I post....Finding any fault you could....Typical of those who are incapable of articulating a proper argument, and backing it with facts.....in short a prime illustration of the word "arrogant".

Considering this forum provides no oportunity to edit or correct miss spellings...nobody on this forum is fair game for your sort petty mindedness.

My post in response to Rockape was A/ to correct a factual error and B/ to respond to a thinly veiled accusation that I am indeed "arrogant"...yet another personal attack from someone with a history of doing so.

Rockape you don't even understand what a synonym is and the limitations of text references such as dictionaries and thesaurus that only contain short listings.

Believe me, it is not the first and certainly wont be the last time that someone will accuse me of being Arrogant......More than not the accusation comes from people who think they know better and simply do not or those who's conciet is chalanged by what I say or post.....in short those who are truly "arrogant".

On any matter that I post, I try my very best to make sure my facts are correct and most of the time I can produce quality references and well constructed arguments.

Don't worry folks, I knew if I posted to this thread I would be picked on.
I am more than capable of looking after myself.

cheers
FollowupID: 778191

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 11:54

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 11:54
I simply pointed out a misquote from a dictionary, you have now personally attacked Rockape, for which I hope he refers it for moderation.
FollowupID: 778193

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 12:07

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 12:07
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Trolling Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 778197

Follow Up By: Rockape - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 12:15

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 12:15
Bantam,

I will put it simply. I have no idea what you are going on about.

Why did you bring up the meaning of arrogant it beats me. The rest of the people seem to understand all it's meanings.

I haven't seen anybody accuse you of being arrogant.

RA. (glad I haven't got a complex)
FollowupID: 778198

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 13:49

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 13:49
Yet again rockape tells me I don't know what I am talking about...well surprise surprise.

We have a very real problem in society that words are frequently used by those who do not understand their meaning.

All to frequently we have people throw these words at others, and in fact they are discribing their own behaviour.

This is the central issue of the original post

Clasic example is the Gold seeking Dutchman case detailed earlier.

Arrogant people....those displaying an exagerated sence of a persons own importance or abilities or understanding....telling people who do know what they are talking about that they are arogant and or don't know what they are talking about.

sorry mate your problem not mine.

cheers
FollowupID: 778211

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 13:52

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 13:52
BTW Rockape, you last post confirms your intent in the first.

FollowupID: 778213

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 14:05

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 14:05
I am chuckling to myself as I type.

The words that come to mind are: "What a hillarious list of errors on all sides". I gave up when I saw what the teachers wrote on my grand daughters home work. If teachers cannot present correct grammar and spelling and the news readers cannot see the errors and the politician . . . forget it Phil. Even I inadvertantly used the singular tense "is" the other day, instead of the plural "are".

Rockape, Bantam and Shaker . . . My favourite combatants.

Phil
FollowupID: 778215

Follow Up By: Herbal - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 15:05

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 15:05
WHAT?? You used IS instead of ARE ??

We are doomed...run for the hills...

My all time fav is the Yanky Doodles that insist that "then" and "than" are the same...Shame that the Aussie kids are now so yankified they are also swapping then for than...

Oh well...I would still rather eat a slice of bread than dog poo before I eat a slice of bread then dog poo !!!
FollowupID: 778221

Follow Up By: Rockape - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 15:14

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 15:14
Phil,
good to see you had a good chuckle, in fact I also have.

Bantam. At great expense to myself. I went out to my drug lab and made these for you. Take 2 a day with food.

RA.
FollowupID: 778222

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 16:18

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 16:18
To try and lighten this up a bit, would like to offer the following bon-mot.....

"In the world of hi-tech gadgetry, I've noticed that more and more people who send text messages and emails have long forgotten the art of capital letters.

For those of you who fall into this category, please take note of the following statement:
"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."
FollowupID: 778233

Follow Up By: Herbal - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 16:48

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 16:48
hahaha...

"To try and lighten this up a bit"

I reckon if you did manage to get two jack (s) off a horse it might be lighter then just removing the bit !!

But I am not sure...you would have to see men that know about this stuff !!

Now watch all those horse lovers attack saying I canter say things like that about a whorse...

But you are OK, none of them will realize that capitalisation is spelded with an s.

hahaha.
FollowupID: 778242

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 16:56

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 16:56
"jocularity jocularity", as Father Mulcahy put it, heals all wounds.

Phil
FollowupID: 778244

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 17:02

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 17:02
Good one Scott. Wish I could remember those examples.

Phil
FollowupID: 778245

Follow Up By: Rockape - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 17:04

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 17:04
No matter how many repeats I see of Mash. I still get a great laugh.

Phil. The bandages are nearly off.

RA.
FollowupID: 778247

Follow Up By: ModSquad - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 19:29

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 19:29
Guys,

Can we keep the conversation relevant and play nice.

Regards

The ModSquad
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 778265

Follow Up By: Rockape - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 19:38

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 19:38
Fair enough. Done.

Have a good one,
RA.
FollowupID: 778266

Follow Up By: Herbal - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 20:10

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 20:10
No it's not...Stick man gets 834 comments cos of a spelling error in the title...I put in a deliberate error in my below and no one even notices!!! Who spells frase with an f...damn I just gave it away.

No one, stick man or otherwise, gave me 834 comments regarding my very clever bit quip. No cyber bullies attacked my see men joke. No horsey nazi's have come forth to down tread my canter pun...

No it's not fair!!!...I want to be a comic stick man too.

:)
FollowupID: 778271

Reply By: Herbal - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 12:55

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 12:55
If I may and I do mean this in a friendly way. It is not considerred good "netiquette" to bring a topic of conversation to a forum from another forum. So yes, some people might see you as 'provocative'. The way they look at it, is that you didn't get the response you wanted from the other forum so you go to a different forum looking for support.

To answer the specific questions, I think is beyond the scope of this forum. Not to mention the members will be bias. The members here (or most of them) are the very people you are asking whether they are selfish. You would be better off and would get a clearer answer if you were to ask younger people the same questions.

These are such big questions that you can only answer on an age group basis. I am sure that there are many individuals that have done very good things over the years.

For example. If you were to ask younger people if we should have "user pays" water. The answer would probably be yes. Now ask the same question and qualify it by asking...In view of the older age group (the age group that includes the grey nomads) allowing a foreign company to come to Australia and take trillions upon trillions of liters of OUR water and affectively turn it into rubbish, should we have user pays water? The answer might very well be No.

One report I read a while ago suggeted that Coca Cola uses upto 50% of Sydneys water supply each year!! The younger age groups did not cause this but now have to live with it and pay for it.

Or another example. Should the older age group be given free services and conssesions? Yes. Or...In view of the damage caused by the older age group in it's relentless rush to generate enough wealth to be able to afford a 1/4 million dollar motorhome. Leaving global wide damage such as greenhouse gases and wide spread use of asbestos, should they be given free services and conssesions or be forced to pay for the clean-up and repair?

That is just two example questions. I could spend all day listing dozens or maybe hundreds of such questions.

The old adage - be careful what you ask for because you just might get it.

Please note: I did say above that the members (and readers) here will be bias. So no need for the onslaught of posts telling me that I am wrong. Lets just take it for granted that you have told me.
AnswerID: 501838

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 13:07

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 13:07
My question in regard to industrial pollution related climate change is ..... What caused the Ice Age?

FollowupID: 778206

Follow Up By: Herbal - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 14:07

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 14:07
I assume that your question is directed at me as it was posted as a 'followup'?

I think what you are trying to do is frase a question that causes an implication regardless of the answer. eg the old "do you still hit your wife" type question. It does not matter if the answer is yes or no, either means you hit your wife.

Your question none the less, is way off topic and senseless. You may as well ask 'in regard to the extinction of dinosaurs why did the Titanic sink?'

I also assume that you mean the last ice age? Question asking lesson 101...Never ask a question unless you already know the answer...end lesson. So, I give in, what caused it?
FollowupID: 778216

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 16:40

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 16:40
My question was nobmore off topic & senseless than yours was irrelevant & also off topic.
To be honest this whole thread is really off topic!
FollowupID: 778237

Follow Up By: Herbal - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 17:04

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 17:04
Thought so.

You really need a new hobby. Being a Troll does not suit you.

To be a good Troll you need impeccable grammer and spelling. You need to know your subject matter inside out, upside down and back to front.

So what did cause the last ice age?
FollowupID: 778246

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 21:39

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 21:39
I believe it was Ice.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 778280

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 21:40

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 21:40
I just googled it, apparently it was Chuck Norris.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 778281

Follow Up By: Member - powernut (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 15:28

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 15:28
Any way guys getting back to the topic.
We live near the Sturt highway and the provision of dump points and parking for motor homes has been raging in our local rag. Some say we get nothing from them, they just stop over night and use our free facilities and move on. Others say they buy petrol and food!

Difficult to see value in selling petrol or food as very little of the money stays here. But if we dont provide the facilities, we will miss out on the small percentage who stay a while. The caravaners seem to stay longer and spend more, where the motor homes seem to just stay overnight in free areas.

I bet every small town near a main road has had this discussion.
I am an apprentice retire. Its looking like my most successful career to date.

FollowupID: 778353

Sponsored Links