Anne Beadell and CSR Trip

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 15:47
ThreadID: 99811 Views:2525 Replies:9 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
An outback trip from Victoria with 3 other vehicles. Exploring the inland via the Anne Beadell Highway and then heading up north via the Canning Stock Route before making our way around the Kimberleys.

Just what do you do when you commit to go on an outback adventure across some of the most remote areas in Australia (if not the world!).
What are the questions that cross your mind?
* Is my vehicle up to it?
* Am I up to it?
* Will I be an asset or a liability to the group?
* Will the others be an asset or a liability?
* What experience/skills do we have?
* What do we need to learn/improve before we go?

These and a million other questions run through my mind as I consider what I (we) are committing ourselves to. But, hey, if I look at all the roadblocks I will never go. What about all the positives?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 16:51

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 16:51
Stacks of positives temala.

The experience will give you a new view of Australia.
The memories of the views will be popping into your head everyday when you get home. The night skies will live with you forever.
The challenges and how you overcome them (or succumb to them) will help you in your everyday life.

You will be planning the next trip, or selling your 4x4.

If you don't do it you will regret it for a long time, especially when your friends get back and start telling stories about things that happened.

Make sure you are prepared as you can be before you go and you will have a great time.

The distances are huge but the trip will be covering some of the most unique parts of the Earth.

Hoo roo,
Steve
AnswerID: 501749

Follow Up By: Member - temala - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 17:48

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 17:48
Thanks Steve, I certainly won't be selling my 4WD. I will be planning the next trip. Mary and I have done quite a number of trips all around this beautiful country of ours and we haven't run out of enthusiasm yet. We live in East Gippsland in Victoria and we have some very beautiful trips around here. But I am drawn back to the remote areas of Australia. A few years ago a mate and myself joined with two other couples to explore the west. It was a trip to remember. We headed north up from the Nullabor at Forrest and made our way to Marble Bar and then back down and along part of the way along the CSR and then at well 33 we headed down to Alice Springs. I am hoping this trip will be as memorable as that earlier trip.
FollowupID: 777972

Follow Up By: Mick O - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 18:12

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 18:12
Good on you Temala, that's the way to go. I re-read that blog myself after posting and the comments from others at the bottom are actually just as informative as the content.

You'll have a ball. Here's to 2013.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 777983

Follow Up By: Member - temala - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 21:08

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 21:08
Not one of us is as smart as all of us.
The comments from a variety of sources gives me a great continuum of ideas.
I am really looking forward to the trip - and the more I read (and receive comments) the more eager I become. I am contemplating putting in airbags into my rear suspension. I had them in my previous 4WD (80 series LC) and they did a great job.
FollowupID: 777997

Reply By: Mick O - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 17:10

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 17:10
Sounds like a great trip. Your route will be a test of vehicles, equipment and the people in them. Time spent on preparation is never wasted. This site is a fantastic resource for drawing on information, experience and advice. So much of what you glean from exploring the many articles, posts and blogs may help to put your mind at ease and never, never be afraid to ask. There is never such a thing as a stupid question.

Here's my first bit of advice for you on what will be a fantastic trip.

Trip Planning - Companions

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 501753

Follow Up By: Member - temala - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 17:57

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 17:57
Thanks Mick. I just read your blog and I must say that choosing the right companions is certainly going to be the hard part. One of the people going with us is an old mate who I have travelled with before and we get on well together. The other two couples I know nothing about! We are planning a follow up meeting in the next month or so to fine tune our planning and to "lay down some ground rules." Should be interesting.
FollowupID: 777976

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 17:10

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 17:10
truth is temala, most (if not all) of us have had those thoughts the first time setting off on a trip to somewhere new. The fact that you're asking those questions is a good sign.

Reality is there's no single answer. Best you can do is research, listen to others, and prepare as well as you can. If you make sure you've done good preventative maintenance on the vehicle, take it easy, apply common sense and you'll be fine.

As to the positives, too many to mention. Spectacular country, satisfaction from completing the challenge, being out with your freinds, and best of all, those nights by the campfire in the middle of nowhere under a million stars.
AnswerID: 501754

Follow Up By: Member - temala - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 18:10

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 18:10
Thanks Scott, you're right when you say there is no "right" answer. I am getting into my research and really enjoying it. I have started work on my vehicle - a 2002 Landcruiser 105 series petrol/gas auto. I recently had the gas system worked over, the front wheel bearings replaced, a snorkel fitted, suspension checked out. I am now looking at getting rear wheel carrier so I can carry two spare wheels. I have 260 litres of petrol in two tanks and 75 litres of gas in two cigar tanks. I am planning on carrying a few jerrycans of fuel on the roof rack (which will be emptied ASAP). I can't justify spending a couple of thousand dollars on a long range tank for the two sections of the trip where I MIGHT need some more fuel.
I am also looking at a 100litre water bladder to fit in the foot space behind the front seats.
I have all the recovery gear and rear drawers to fit much of the gear into. I have a Waeko 75 litre fridge which runs off the second battery.
To sleep we are opting for our rooftop tent rather than go with our offroad camper trailer.
I am hanging onto the existing tyres for as long as possible before fitting a set of Cooper ST Maxx.
FollowupID: 777982

Reply By: Member- Tony C - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 23:05

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 23:05
Hi Temala,
I travelled both these tracks heading to the Kimberley from Vic in 2008. I was travelling solo and apart from the loneliness had a ball. No doubt your aware of what amazing country it is with a rich history.
I would suggest reading all you can of the history of the CSR and Anne Beadell Hwy before you head off and take as much of it in as possible on your trip.Some times this can be difficult in a group trying to keep to an itinery, pace etc. Such books as Eric and Ronele Gard's ,Canning Stock Route, The Beckoning West and Len Beadells book relating to the construction of the ABH. Another good read, I believe is Shepherds guide to the Great Victoria Desert (although I haven't read this I will soon as I can get hold of a copy.
Have a great trip.
Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 501785

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 23:38

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 23:38
Tony,
Thank you for writing the Kimberley with no 's no ies and no s. Seeing it misspelled and mispronounced is like fingernails on a blackboard.
FollowupID: 778012

Follow Up By: Member - temala - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 12:18

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 12:18
Hey Echucan Bob, you remind me of me. I am a retired chalkie and every time I see a spelling mistake or an 's in the wrong place the hair on the back of my neck rises. Good to see you are on the ball.
FollowupID: 778061

Reply By: Member - sparra - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 11:08

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 11:08
G'day Temala, sounds like a great trip your going on,great country through there.
Just take your time and don't try to stick to a strict timetable to get to the next spot.
A few cold ones around the campfire while cooking up a feed, ya cant beat it.
Where in east gippsland ya from? (i'm originaly from bairnsdale,family still there)

Have a great trip and enjoy the planning/preperation

cheers, Sparra
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 501822

Follow Up By: Member - temala - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 12:14

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 12:14
G'day Sparra, we anticipate taking about three weeks for the CSR but we won't be trying to stick to any timetable. If we find a good spot e.g. Durban Springs, we will stay a bit longer, if we don't like it we will move on. I like the idea of early start, early finis. Up bright and early and off in the cool part of the day (the dunes are a lot easier to negotiate) and then stop early to prepare a good camp, get a few jobs done e.g. Check over vehicle, wash clothes, organise things, write up diary, explore campsite etc.
We hail from Sarsfield, just 15 km east of Bairnsdale. I was the principal of Lucknow PS for 10 years (91 - 01). We might know each other.
FollowupID: 778058

Reply By: Sapper D - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 20:54

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 20:54
G,Day Temale
Been reading all the post's relating to your trip, and being a Gippslander and noting your teaching history and address, I'm wondering if I might know you.---Does Terry L fit your true name?.....(hope I'm not being too nosey)
PS..Just finished the CSR, and about to do the AB
Regards...Sapper D
AnswerID: 501874

Follow Up By: Sapper D - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 21:01

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 21:01
Just checked out your Profile Temale, and yes my guess was right,---Cheers old neighbour.......Rex D---Old Monte Cres Moe
FollowupID: 778119

Follow Up By: Member - temala - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 16:38

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 16:38
Amazing, isn't it? I have been writing a blog about an intended trip across the AB and then up the CSR and an old mate from school days finds me!! Great about these blogs, not only do you make new friends you get to catch up with old ones.
Great to hear from you Sapper D - I now want to hear your thoughts on the CSR (corrugations, sand and rocks).
Keep it coming.
FollowupID: 778235

Follow Up By: Member - temala - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 16:48

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 16:48
After some advice from Nobby I have gone ahead and bought a set of TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System). It is a Tyredog set and is the type that mounts externally to the tyre. Unlike Nobby I won't being putting in an extra set of valves. I will just have to put up with the extra work every time I air up/down. I have seen a number of totally shredded tyres and I don't want that to happen to me. As Nobby said,"save one tyre and the system has paid for itself".
I am now interested in what people have to say about Satellite phone vs HF radio - and how many people actually take them?
FollowupID: 778241

Reply By: Mark T6 - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 14:49

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 14:49
I am doing the CSR this year, the third such "big trip" in a row...before this we have done a Simpson Desert Crossing (2011) and Cape York (inlcluding the Old Telegraph Track) in 2012.

I was nearly peeing myself with worry the first such big trip, but we planned, talked, planned, researched, planned, talked some more and then double checked our planning.

Bottom line is "fail to plan....means.....plan to fail"

Seriously a trip of this nature is just about planning....what do you have to do, what do you have to take, how can I best prepare...once of the great things is today we have forums like this, read and learn.....BUT remember everyone will have different views.

I spent a fair bit and set up my Fourby for extreme offroad travel, and it has worked a treat HOWEVER I was with other members on the two trips who took stock standard 4WD's along, and with a little help they made it.

But JUST DO IT....life is too short to miss out!!
AnswerID: 502257

Follow Up By: Member - temala - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 15:16

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 15:16
Thanks Mark,
Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I am in the process of planning, researching, talking, reading,planning et al.
We did the trip to the Tip way back in '85 in ashort wheel base LC, which was stock standard. Back in 07 I did a long outback trip that incorporated part of the CSR (well 24 to 33) and the only thing I had on it was a set of polyair bags on the rear. Came across a Nissan with two blown Bilstein shockers (ordered especially for the trip).
I'll keep researching.
Thanks again for your input.
Terry
FollowupID: 778646

Reply By: Mark T6 - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 15:25

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 15:25
I use Bilsteins, but will be taking a front and rear spare (originals) as insurance.....will get me out of the poo if worst comes to worse.
AnswerID: 502262

Follow Up By: Member - temala - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 17:30

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 17:30
I am looking at putting in a new set on my 105 LC (possibly Tough Dog foam cell). However, I think a lot of the problems start with the driver rather than with the equipment. I think the guy who blew out both front shockers didn't reduce his tyre pressure and he admitted he was travelling too fast. I had standard shockers on my 80 series LC at the time and didn't have a problem.
Look after your vehicle and it will look after you.
FollowupID: 778654

Follow Up By: Mark T6 - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 17:35

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 17:35
Correct

1) Drop the pressures down...I run about 20-22 through the desert.

2) Go slowly (very)...we aim to do the CSR over 3 weeks, so about 100 Kms per day

I agree with your last comment 110%
FollowupID: 778655

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 17:55

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 17:55
Hi Temala,

Have to agree with most of the above posts.

Have done the northern half of the Canning in our old standard petrol Troopy but we did break a rear (leaf) spring. The corrugations are fierce and they will test both you and your vehicle, - but particularly so if you try to stick to a predetermined schedule.

If you are well prepared and THEN can be flexible about the amount of time that you take it will be more enjoyable. Personally I would be a bit wary about going with folk that I didn't know, so you will have to have some serious pre-trip discussions about expectations, attitudes, roles and responsibilities on the track. Try to build in some regular group feedback mechanism too that you can use even before things get tough.

The hardest part about the Canning is that it is long with not many opportunities to pull out if things go pear shaped. Three weeks out there is a long time if there is any friction or even discontent in the group, and once disaffection sets in things can go downhill pretty quickly. For us it did go pear shaped - the only one of our trips where that has happened - and we still regret what happened.

Take careful note of Mick Os blog, and the responses.

Cheers,

Val.

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 502283

Follow Up By: Member - temala - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 19:48

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 19:48
Thanks Val
I am planning on being well prepared and, as far as having a schedule to stick to I believe in the following:
"It will take as long as it takes">>>>
I think one of the other members of our group hopes to "do" the CSR in 2 weeks. We won't be sticking with him.
From what I have read it seems that three weeks is a more realistic timeline.
We are yet to have our second pre-trip meeting. At present we have agreed that we are doing the CSR starting from Wiluna on July 18. Everything else is up for grabs.

PS - I love your quote - I am an ex chalkie who believes that statement relates beautifully to schools.
PPS - I AM paying attention to Mick O's blog
FollowupID: 778669

Follow Up By: Member - temala - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 14:34

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 14:34
Thanks to everyone who has offered advice, suggestions,ideas, etc. it is all appreciated.
I have now set up the pack rack to take the rooftop tent, four jerrycans (for the long sections of the CSR and ABH) and a can of oil. I have also set up a point for a sand flag. I am now looking at attaching an awning. I have a DVD of the Canning and there seems to be numerous stops where shade is at a premium so it seems prudent to BYo shade.
A spare set of hoses and belts has been tucked away in the space behind the tail lights - I need to put in a length of heater hose now.
I am now sorting out my tool kit to see what I REALLY need to take!
FollowupID: 779419

Sponsored Links