Camper/caravan fridges

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 22:24
ThreadID: 99818 Views:1791 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Experimenting with the fridge in my new camper over the last few days.
Today the temperature in the camper was 50.8c, and inside the fridge was 8.3. This was running off 240V at the time.
Does gas run any better?
Is there a certain level that these van fridges run at below ambient temp. I know the Waecos would only cool to a certain point below ambient.

I have installed a fan on the outside, and also put one in the fridge itself.
Currentlly has two large bottles of water in it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mynance - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 23:55

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 23:55
Mine definitely runs better on gas, they also work more efficiently when full.

Myles
AnswerID: 501787

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 00:11

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 00:11
It is a 3 way fridge and the gas will be the most effective. with 240v being the next best.
because it is an absorption type fridge there is a maximum amount it will cool below ambient. I think that is around 40 degree below the ambient, so it would seems you are running near the max.
When you say you have fans, exactly where are they positioned? It is critical where you have them.
If one is at the base of the condenser and facing upwards it will force air up through the fins and pipes and aid the natural convection and therefore help the attain maximum efficiency.
Is your fan on the outside sucking from a shaded area ie awning etc and not direct sun. and is it supplying air to the internal fan?
Of course you have to allow the heat to get out and away from the fridge.
The sides and top of the fridge should be insulated from ambient so it has some additional thermal shielding from the ambient air. Sheet cardboard,old box sides, sheets of rag, just something to provide a static air gap and therefore additional thermal shielding.
Just make sure the heat exhaust is nowhere near anything to cause danger/fire and the heat can get away. Some remove the vent and turn it upside down in hot weather as it helps the exit flow of the hot air.

Every little bit helps.

Ross M
AnswerID: 501789

Sponsored Links