Scanguage and exhaust gas temperature EGT

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 18:39
ThreadID: 99836 Views:10286 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I'm back with a new query re: Scanguage and its ability to record EGT.

Now I can see it will record using the scanx facility the catalyst temperature in several different places but that would be considerably cooler tan the EGT or the temperature of the gases going into the turbo.

So my question is can you get EGT at the actual exhaust port or the turbo intake using scanguage?

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: garrycol - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 19:16

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 19:16
Scangauge reads nothing directly - it just tacts into the ECU sensor readings. So if the ECU reads EGT and either of those points then Scangauge might be able to display those those readings but if the ECU does not then Scangauge cannot.

Garry
AnswerID: 501868

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 20:31

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 20:31
J&D
The terms RECORD and READ are two different things and when you say record do you mean record or reading it is showing you? Sorry, but terminology in technical electronics is best kept precise.
I can't imagine how the scanX can show several different readings of a catalytic converter if that is what you mean. If it has a sensor, then as Garrycol said only the info fed to the ECU is presentable by the Scangauge.

So unless there is an EGT sensor in your vehicle as std equipment which the ECU monitors then there is no inputs or feeds of such info to a Scangauge.
Unless the vehicle is specifically built with an EGT system then all after market types either fitted pre or post turbo will just be a dedicated gauge to show the EGT temp.

If you don't already know, the same vehicle, pre and post turbo, will have a difference of around 200 Deg C because it is the turbo which uses heat energy to drive the turbo to create its effect.
The hot gasses go from a pressured state to a less pressured state within a short distance and any expansion drops the heat value of the gas. Exactly the same principle as a compressed gas gets hot, only frack to bunt.
I am unaware of any temp devices which can be added to a scangauge to make it read and display such info. if you find any let me know cos I got lots of things I want to read with mine.

Ross M
AnswerID: 501871

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 20:31

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 20:31
John,

you may have mis-interpreted my post where I talked about EGTs, Scangauge and transmission fluid temps.

The Scangauge will not measure EGTs, unfortunately. You need to instal EGT sensors and have a dedicated gauge.

The Scangauge will measure transmission temps.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 501872

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 20:35

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 20:35
My comments here, and in the other Thread, relate to 200 series TTD Cruisers.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 778113

Follow Up By: John & Deborah G - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 21:58

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 21:58
Yes thanks to those that replied. What I am trying to do is read the EGT. I am pondering over fitting a DP Chip and I am feeling a bit jittery that I may over boost the engine and cause damage. I tow an off-road van weighing about 2500 kg am I am replacing my existing 100 series LC Sarah with a 200 series.

Being and old commercial aircraft pilot I am accustomed to monitoring EGT as this was one way of adjusting the fuel mixture during climb and I know how important ECT is.

So I thought a scan gauge would give me the ability to monitor the EGT but when I research ScanGuage I see the ability to enter codes into a menu (referred to as scanX) and I see several codes that look like different parts of the catalic convertor. Maybe I am just reading this feature wrongly.

However I will ring ScanGuage tomorrow and discuss with them.

Kindest Regards John G
FollowupID: 778122

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 22:03

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 22:03
John, the 200 Series doesn't have any factory fitted way of detecting EGTs.

When you get your 200, why not put off the chip purchase until you see how it tows your van? My van weighs a tonne more than yours and my unchipped 200 is fine.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 778123

Follow Up By: John & Deborah G - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 22:27

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 22:27
Yes -thanks Gone Bush I think that would be the logical move. I do however like "eye candy" & I think I would like to have EGT visable. Currently I have manifold pressure gauge on my 100 series & I use it extensively while towing.

Regards John G
FollowupID: 778127

Follow Up By: garrycol - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 22:31

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 22:31
If the cars ECU does not read EGTs, Scangauge cannot, even though it has the ability to display it.

If you want to read EGTs I would be putting in a separate sensor and and EGT gauge and forgetting Scanguage for this function.

Garry
FollowupID: 778128

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 22:41

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 22:41
Some aftermarket exhaust systems have threaded sockets waiting for EGT probes. It might be worth researching which ones can do that, and going down that route. Lots of extra benefits there.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 778130

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 22:46

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 22:46
By the way, a Scangauge showing transmission fluid temps and driving to keep your gearbox cool, will have considerable extra benefits for the rest of the engine.

Personally, my checklist for purchases would be:

Exhaust with EGT probes and display, and
Scangauge with TFT.

And way down here, several months after buying the vehicle, maybe, just maybe, a chip...... Nah, forget the chip.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 778131

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 22:56

Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 22:56
John, consider joining LCOOL.org and pore through the 200 Series section. Huge amount of info.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 778132

Follow Up By: John & Deborah G - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 08:39

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 08:39
Hello Gone Bush
Yes done that & went to the technical area and it shows a list of vehicles to choose from and 200S isn't there.

John G
FollowupID: 778164

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 10:00

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 10:00
I don't think you looked properly.

LCOOL 200 Series Forum

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 778180

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 10:18

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 10:18
FYI

I had a Tunit chip and was happy with it but once I started towing a heavy off road 'van I became uncomfortable with not knowing the EGT (I have a scan guage fitted)

I fitted a dedicated EGT and drove according to conditions but became nervous one day when towing the heavy 'van up a huge long hill and needed to back off......not the best when trying to move forward uphill.......(I fly as well.... so I know what you mean in relation to your experience)...bit like reducing power on a takeoff/climb!..........

What i have done is remove my Tunit chip and replace with a "Chip it"......(see their website).....reason I changed was simply the fact that their chip monitors the EGT and responds accordingly when the upper set point/alarm point is reached and will revert to factory so you can keep driving normally

next time... same hill I just drove comfortably knowing that if the EGT set max was reached I was still maintained accelerator pressure and kept climbing!

Peace of mind........to my knowlege the "Chip it' is the only one that has this ability

no affliation etc.
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 501896

Follow Up By: John & Deborah G - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 10:41

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 10:41
Thanks for that "bungarea", yes this Chip business is a real can of worms. The only problem is that the LC200 series does not have a temperature sensor on the exhaust, so it appears the only way out is to fit a dedicated gauge.

Regards John G
FollowupID: 778185

Sponsored Links