Protecting Your Gadgets From Dust, Water, Shock

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 06, 2013 at 23:03
ThreadID: 99840 Views:3739 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I was wondering what everyone is using to protect their electronic gadgets like mobile phones, laptops, tablets, sat phones and other valuable technology from shock, dust and water while you're out camping and touring or just travelling from A to B.

Thankfully i don't carry much of value but the ultrabook goes into a bubble wrap pocket from the post office then into a slim smiggle padded bag and then into a sea to summit dry sac. The smiggle bag has just enough extra room for maps, a few flyers and some of the cards I hand out. This worked well in my back pack walking 1200kms last year.

The mobile goes into a chunky hand knitted pocket then into a small dry sac but by the time I hear it ringing and retrieve it I miss the call.

Does anyone know a handy little see through, durable, waterproof pouch the right size for a smart phone that won't be bulky in a shirt pocket? I have tried zip lock sandwich bags and they are good but only as a temporary measure.
Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 00:07

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 00:07
Hello

I use a "sea to summit TPU waterproof case" for my Samsung ..though don't use it much (doesn't rain that often over this way :) The one pictured is actually for a slightly larger GPS I have ...but they are available in smaller sizes. May or may not fit in your pocket...

Sea to Summit TPU Accessory Cases

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 501882

Follow Up By: Member - Terra'Mer - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 00:19

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 00:19
Thanks Greg,
A small one of these would be perfect.

* Dear ExplorOz Shop, will you be getting the small ones in? *
Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 778141

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 19:25

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 19:25
Hi Terra,

I have the new pricelist from Sea to Summit for 2013 on my desk right now, I'm planning on doing a product assessment early next week, so I'm sure I'll be able to get some of these onto the shop this year (keep an eye on the next couple of newsletters).
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 778496

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 04:24

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 04:24
Hi Terra'Mer

Our experience has been that electronic stuff is very robust and will stand up to dust and shock better than you think it might. Water is different, especially if you are walking so good waterproof covers would be required.

We have carried the same laptop in an ordinary laptop bag on 6 years worth of long trips over many corrugations and its still going strong. Likewise our cameras, phones etc just travel in their standard cases. We have used a PC based GPS system for the last 6 years and both the computers that we have used have had standard hard drives - despite all the dust and corrugations those drives have just kept on going. But we do always have a backup system just in case!

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 501885

Reply By: Rockape - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 06:07

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 06:07
Terra,
These also work well for small items and paperwork.

They are a scafftag permit wallet with a zip and available from most safety stores.

Have a look on ebay at camera rain covers.

Happy walking and don't get seasick,
RA.
AnswerID: 501886

Reply By: Bazooka - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 10:51

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 10:51
Kathmandu has some deals going on items which might fit your need Terra.

Travel Accessories
AnswerID: 501898

Reply By: snow - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 11:59

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 11:59
InDepth waterproof/shockproof case for my iphone is very robust
AnswerID: 501907

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 00:03

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 00:03
Pelican brief case.

http://www.pelican.com/australia/
AnswerID: 502200

Sponsored Links