Break Away System Electric Brake

Submitted: Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 13:01
ThreadID: 99845 Views:2809 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Break Away System Electric Brake on my caravan that I just purchased and the charging light stays on all the time. The test button does not work but if I take out the breakaway pin the brakes are activated as they should. Does anybody know where the manufacturer is or how I can get it repaired. I just bought a new battery and don't want to ruin it. If I can't cahrge the battery then the system is useless. (although it is connected to the main battery in the caravan so in theory it should still work.

Failing that is there a better system that I can replace this with.
Cheers Jack
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 13:36

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 13:36
It would be helpfull it you gave us some brand information.

Its only pretty recent that charging indicators and such have been required......I doubt very much that there will be much to it...the whole trailer business being so cheap and nasty in general.

cheers
AnswerID: 501916

Follow Up By: Adams - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 15:18

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 15:18
Hi Bantam
The brand is Breakaway System.
cheers
FollowupID: 778223

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 19:08

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 19:08
Hi Jack,

If the unit is connected to the main battery in the caravan for charging the inbuilt Break Safe battery then the charge light will remain on, if it is connected through the charge wire to the main battery as it should be. My unit is the Break Safe brand and they are made by RV Electronics in Adelaide. They have a website. Yours appears to be a different brand though from what you say.

The test button on the Break Safe unit should work as normal even when connected to the main battery.

Note that your main battery will always be charged up by the onboard charger, if it is a modern type of van, when connected to mains power.

If you fit solar to the van then you will always be charged up even without mains power.

Try a web search for your brand of break away unit. You may get some joy there.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 501941

Follow Up By: Adams - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 14:38

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 14:38
Thanks Bruce
Have searched the internet...only sellers on Ebay and can't find manufacturer or importer. I have three lights on mine, Charging - orange light, recharge - red light, Fully charged - green light. It always stays on charging so I guess it is as it should be.

Rest of the charging system is operational, including solar.
So I guess if it works when the pin is pulled it is working as it should. I just have no idea in the Brakaway battery is charged as I do not have a guage. Registered is SA.

Cheers
FollowupID: 778347

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 17:47

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 17:47
Jack, it probably does not matter whether the inbuilt battery is fully charged as the house battery in the van will probably do the job anyway.
Depending on the circuit of course.

If in doubt you could couple the house battery direct to the Break Away unit.

Here in NSW there is a requirement that all vans over 2 tonne tare must have a Break Safe battery test circuit, either visual or audible, to monitor the battery condition of the unit and this monitor has to be visible to the driver whilst the vehicle and van are in operation moving along a road. This device is just another way of checking the battery condition but far more convenient.

Perhaps you could get in touch with the guys at RV Electronics, whom I might say are a real nice bunch of people, and relate your story and they may be able to assist you with advice. I know they will certainly do their best for you, they are that sort of people.
I have had dealings with them, that is how I know.

Give them a try as you have nothing to lose but maybe a lot to gain from it. They are located out at Holden I believe.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 778377

Follow Up By: Adams - Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 10:59

Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 10:59
Thanks Bruce
RV Electrics are on my list. Will drop in there on my way to Yorke Pen.
Cheers
FollowupID: 778518

Reply By: GEMAC Solar and Power - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 16:01

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 16:01
I recall someone else looking at the same issue.

Their comment was most people dont connect the breakaway wire to part of the vehicle that wont fall off with the van.
I have seen these wrapped up in a neat coil on the drawer bar of many vans.

And some have been attached to the safety chain of the van.

Yes you may well wonder. You cannot stop stupidity...........

The question is with the breakaway system is just how well will they work?

Scenario: Doing 90 k and the van complete with the vehicle drawbar part company.
Breakaway is attached to the drawer bar.
Nill Breaking.

Same situation. But breakaway attached to the vehicle.
Braked lock up and van will stop in a nice straight line???
No way... wheels lock up. van nose dives and all hell breaks loose with van doing what is does best. read next line>>>>>>>>>>

Either situation is not good as an out of control van in either case is going to roll and roll.

Now the best way to stop all this happening is to have the drawer bar, tow tongue assembly, and hitch checked by someone with knowledge.
Use Rated Shackles and good chain.
Two chains..... tow shackles.
Not both chains on one shackle or one of those spring loaded shyte carrabino things we see so often

A last question. What caused vans to "fall Off" the tow vehicle anyways?????

regards

Geoff McKay

AnswerID: 502012

Follow Up By: Adams - Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 10:58

Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 10:58
Thanks Geoff
I am aware of all those issues and I am trying to do the right (and sensible) thing hence my question. All good.
Cheers Jack
FollowupID: 778517

Sponsored Links