Which caravan park in Kununurra??

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 20:51
ThreadID: 99877 Views:4177 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, will be staying in Kununurra for approx. 1 week in August. I have researched and noticed a number of options. Just wanted to get a feel for what others experienced at different parks in regards to location, price, safety etc??

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Jason.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rooster350 - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 21:12

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 21:12
The Kimberlyland is a nice park, close to the town, very shady , good safe pool , reasonably priced....I believe no bookings , you just have to get there early and wait on a vacancy...going in from the east means you can usually get there earlier than those coming from the west because of the time difference, we were fortunate enough to get a pool side site each visit.....do not know about the other parks as have not stayed at any of them but they are all reasonably good parks from what I have seen of them...have been to the place 3 times and enjoyed it each time. Try and do the Lake/River tour if you can , there is a lot to see and do in a week.
AnswerID: 502059

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 21:45

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 21:45
Dinner or lunch at 'The Pumphouse' is very nice also..... I have stayed at the Big 4 (Ivanhoe Village) & also the Discovery Park both are very good & 'safe'
When I was there last the Shell in Ivanhoe Rd had the cheapest fuel :-)
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 778415

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 21:41

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 21:41
Hi Jason,

we stayed at the Lakeside Resort.

It has a few fly in/fly workers staying there but they were pretty good. It was really nice.

Steve
AnswerID: 502063

Follow Up By: Bob R4 - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 22:05

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 22:05
Hi Jason,
We spent a week at Hidden Valley CP in June 2 years ago. Close to town and spectacular sunset views of mini Bungles (Mirima NP) at the back. Our site had good shade and plenty of room. Backpackers were a noise factor one night, but management jumped on them the next day and all was OK. Facilities were fine.
Cheers, Bob
FollowupID: 778419

Reply By: drowned_rat - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 22:23

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 22:23
An excerpt from my diary when we stayed there:

At Kununurra we camped at the Big 4 caravan park. Not sure what the big 4 stands for but we have made up our own list:
(1) Very Expensive
(2) If you don't own a caravan we would rather you didn't stay here. (If you have children we rather you didn't stay here also)
(3) Staff are totally incompetent and despite the assistance of a computer to add up for them, cannot come up the bill correctly.
(4) Yes, we have some very nice camp sites but we don't want you camping on them because it is ratings season (currently 4 star rating) and we don't want you to muck them up. We also have a play ground but we don't want your children playing in it either "Playground's closed Buzz off!".
It did, however, have a very nice pool.

( we had a camper trailer)
AnswerID: 502069

Reply By: drowned_rat - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 22:27

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 22:27
An excerpt from my diary when we stayed there:

At Kununurra we camped at the Big 4 caravan park. Not sure what the big 4 stands for but we have made up our own list:
(1) Very Expensive
(2) If you don't own a caravan we would rather you didn't stay here. (If you have children we rather you didn't stay here also)
(3) Staff are totally incompetent and despite the assistance of a computer to add up for them, cannot come up the bill correctly.
(4) Yes, we have some very nice camp sites but we don't want you camping on them because it is ratings season (currently 4 star rating) and we don't want you to muck them up. We also have a play ground but we don't want your children playing in it either "Playground's closed Buzz off!".
It did, however, have a very nice pool.

This in 2002 (we had a camper trailer), they showed us this superb caravan park with lovely green camp sites, when is cam time to set up camp they wanted us to go in the corner in a shared site that was just red dirt. Caravan sites are apparently rated on how green the grass is and the ratings were more important to them than the guests.
AnswerID: 502071

Reply By: Member - jezza68 - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 22:33

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 22:33
Hi Jason,

I have stayed ay 3 Parks over the years -

1) Big 4 Ivanhoe - very cramped sites and as already stated very poorly managed. But good clean amenities

2) Kona Lakeside - very shady and can have sites right on Lake Kununurra. Good amenities and the sunsets are great. Downside is they have a minimum stay policy and quite a few permanents.

3) Lakelands - a bit further to the East of town but backs onto the lake. A much simpler park with a first in best dressed policy. But I enjoy this the most due to good managers.
AnswerID: 502073

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 22:42

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 22:42
We had a unpowered site at the Lakeside Resort for 4 nights on the way to Broome and a powered site at the Discovery Holiday Park for one night on the way back. We were stuck in the middle on a very busy day at the Discovery Holiday park, but nice and close to the Pump House Restaurant which was a must. The following photo was our spot at the Lakeside Resort. Kevin

AnswerID: 502075

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 00:04

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 00:04
Are you making a booking Jason? Powered sites can be under pressure peak season. I would suggest any of the the lakeside parks.

Check out user reviews on Badger's

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 502080

Follow Up By: Mary-Anne M (Qld) - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 14:47

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 14:47
I have stayed at Kona 3 times and it was fantastic. Could not get in last time so stayed at Ivanhoe.....too big, too busy would not stay again.
FollowupID: 778481

Reply By: The Bunyip - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 16:09

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2013 at 16:09
We were there August 1998. We chose the BIG4 park "without" the pool. Hindsight is a marvellous thing. Given temps up there that time of year are around 30-35 celsius day in day out, a caravan park with a pool is a must.
AnswerID: 502112

Sponsored Links