hj60 front diff not engaging - big snow tomorrow!!!

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 12:15
ThreadID: 9990 Views:2167 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,

Here in Belgium we're expecting the first serious snow of the winter in the next 24 hours, and I'm expecting the first serious row of the season with my dear wife if I can't get her to the shop for supplies, and more to the point I'm about to run out of beer!
I've got an '89 hj60 4.0 flat diesel which I bought from the UK on ebay a few months ago - I've not owned a 4x4 before, nor a Toyota, so I was staggered at the sheer pleasure derived from just turning the key and driving the 1000 k back home without incident. I stopped worrying about it after about 5 minutes - what a thing!!!!
Apart from locking my only keys inside as I boarded the ferry - one of the Dutch crew gave me an old wire coat hanger and said,'you have five minutes', so I said, 'what if I can't open it?', and from behind his back he produced a lump hammer!! - I've had no problems apart from this recent failure of the front diff to engage. The 4wd light does not show green when pushed in, although a 'click' behind the dashboard is discernable. At around the time the problem first occured the brake light started to flicker on and off which according to the handbook suggests a vacuum problem, although the fluid levels are OK and all the pedal pushing/holding down/ on/off tests indicate the brakes aren't an issue.
Is there any way I can make this front diff engage.
I'm down to half a case of German Beer, some frozen Chicken and minus 8 Degrees.
Any help or advice would be truly welcome.

Best wishes,

Paul

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ross - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 15:20

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 15:20
Paul there are 2 vacuum solenoids .As I understand one pushes it into 4wd,the other pushes it out.
By swapping them over you can engage or disengage the font diff.I havent actually done it myself but from what
I know there is a blue and orange/brown hose.They are fixed to(I THINK) fire wall in the engine bay and run to the t/case.
Im not sure where to disconnect,either the t/case or fire wall.
Ration your beer in case Im wrong!!
AnswerID: 44208

Reply By: Member - JohnR - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 19:03

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 19:03
G'day Paul,

I can't help you with your Toyota problem, the 'cruiser I had was a lot earlier than the one you have. I just want to bid you welcome. I am sure that the site will welcome your membership if you succeed here with your enquiry, likewise we would welcome your ExploringOz. I am also facinated you came across ExplorOz for your query.Regards

JohnR - Not enough of the right travelling, some here..... some over there.......
AnswerID: 44221

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 10:12

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 10:12
Hi Paul
Make sure the centre diff has locked in first, then try the diff locks
Toyotas have a problem locking the centre diff if all the tyres are not the same size
All so another try is select low range this should lock the centre diff automaticaly
Ray
AnswerID: 44337

Reply By: Member- Rox - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 00:51

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 00:51
It will be 32oC in perth tomorrow, Hope this helps1991 80Series Std Diesel
2003 Down Under Camper
AnswerID: 44434

Sponsored Links