Exploring the Daintree - suggestions please

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 14:08
ThreadID: 99909 Views:2417 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day Folks

We are heading off to FNQ in July/August and want to spend at least a week in the Daintree NP area. In a break fron towing/camping, we are going to 'slum' it and fly in, hire a vehicle as necessary, and stay in cabins or similar self-catered type accommodation.

We're particularly interested in any recommendations for walks - guided or self-guided - and accommodation north of Pt Douglas.

We're trying to contact Cooper Creek Wilderness for more detail on their walks, and we've downloaded an app (have to say it's lost itself in the phone somewhere) on walks. There are many walks advertised on the net, but not very many seem to get off the beaten track.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers
John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 18:19

Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 18:19
Hi John, we stayed at the Daintree van park in our van. Nice friendly managers who organised a pizza night. But do they have cabins? Wander down to the wharf at beer o'clock to spot a croc or two. It maybe because it's dense rainforest that there are only limited walking tracks. You could always try part of the CREB on foot. LOL....W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 502160

Follow Up By: Member - John G - Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 18:33

Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 18:33
Thanks Warrie,

I'll check it out.

When we went to Cape York a couple of years back, folks would say "if you want to see crocs, just go down to the river and shine your torch, and you'll see their eyes shining." My worry was the ones whose eyes you didn't see.

Cheers
John
FollowupID: 778543

Reply By: Member - Wamuranman - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 07:56

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 07:56
Hi John,

We also stayed at Daintree van park in our own van. Very friendly hosts. I recall they might have a cabin or two.
I note that most walks seem to be short structured ones ....eg Mardja Botanical Rainforest walk (1.1km), or the Dubuji Rainforest walk (1.2km) etc etc. It seems like you are after more remote and longer hiking tracks.
I just pulled out some brouchures from our recent trip. There is a 4WD track that goes from where the Daintree River cruise departs from heading north up through China Camp to the Bloomfield Crossing....along this dotted line on the map is the symbol of 2 hikers ...so there must be hiking tracks in that area somewhere. The Daintree van park owners would probably have some info.

Also a great trip by 4WD up the coastal CREB/Bloomfield tracks and come out at Cooktown. We did this as a day trip (left our van at Daintree) and came back home down the inland road through Lakeland, Laura, Mt Carbine, Mt Molloy, Mossman...back to Daintree. I recall about 450km round trip..but very enjoyable.

Cheers
AnswerID: 502208

Follow Up By: Member - John G - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 15:04

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 15:04
Thanks Wamuranman

Yep, checked ot out and they do have cabins. With that bush hideaway of yours, it must take an effort to go anywhere else.

Cheers
John
FollowupID: 778643

Follow Up By: Member - OnYaBike - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 00:37

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 00:37
If you are doing the Bloomfield to Cooktown section have a look at Home Rule and Home Rule Falls. Three km off the road near Rossville. The falls are a 50 minute trek each way and well worth it. You can camp at Home Rule for $10 a head and there is a beaut swimming hole. Clean toilets/showers.
FollowupID: 778688

Reply By: gclan - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 09:44

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 09:44
If you are planning on heading up as far as Cooktown, then a tour with Willie Gordon of Guurrbi Tours is very worthwhile. It was one of, if not 'the best' tour I've ever been on. He's an Aboriginal elder and extremely knowledgeable. It was such a fantastic experience, that when the four hours were over, we could happily have spent another four or more with him. Even the kids loved him and the tour and can't wait to go back one day to see him. It was a highlight of our Cape York trip.
Guurrbi Tours:http://www.guurrbitours.com/

If you're after something a bit different, the Walker brothers also run a great tour down in the Daintree. Among other things, they teach you how to make a spear and hunt for crabs. I haven't personally been on this one, though it is top of my list if we return up that way again.
Kuku Yalanji Cultural Habitat Tours:http://www.bamaway.com.au/KukuYalanji.aspx

Cheers
Karen
AnswerID: 502221

Follow Up By: Member - John G - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 15:06

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 15:06
Thanks Karen

We have previously been on Willie Gordon's tour, and I agree with you about how good it is. Thanks for the link.

Cheers
John
FollowupID: 778644

Sponsored Links