Porta Potty

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 13:25
ThreadID: 9991 Views:1950 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
Would appreciate peoples experience.
Being on move each day,is it necessary to empty the unit each day and replinish the chemicals daily?

To do so would use up a lot of chemical volume,using the standard measure bottles supplied.

I planned to separate top and bottom and place in plastic garbage bag, then slip into original box. Then carry on roof rack,contained in rack canvas bag(seperating the unit in two keeps height down and in line with rest of the load.)
Regards
Joe
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 14:11

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 14:11
We use the bucket type with toilet seat lid, just put a splash of chemical & a bit of water before use just to help brake down , then just dig a hole & bury it that way nothing sloshing about on the roof rack.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 44205

Reply By: Mad Dog Morgan (Geelong) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 18:07

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 18:07
We use ours as little as possible Joe, only in emergencies. Remember these things use a fair bit of water and in some places water is very precious.I may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
maddogmorgan@mail15.com
AnswerID: 44218

Follow Up By: Joe - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 19:03

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 19:03
Hi Roger,
We are doing a high country tour,7 days, 40 water crossings indicated,so water not a problem on this trip.
But looking to learn how to manage the unit and it's contents travelling daily.This is our first tent only trip,and conditional on having a porta porty or she(wife) would not go.Successfull management of the porta poty is important to ensure FUTURE expiditions...Please help.
Joe

PS Roger,
I beleive I emailed you last week re joining the Geelong Toyota club,the reply was from... mad dog morgan can;t be 2 "Mad Dogs out there?"
FollowupID: 306447

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Geelong) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 19:47

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 19:47
I'm not involved with the Toyota club Joe so there must be two of us in Geelong. If water is no problem then empty it every night and top it up with water. Mine lives in the boot of the Falcon or the back of the ute. Having two young girls not long out of nappies who just can't hang on we find it very handy to have along even on very short trips. It gets thumped and knocked around but we've never had a problem with it in 5 yrs of ownershipI may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
maddogmorgan@mail15.com
FollowupID: 306448

Reply By: Member - JohnR - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 19:16

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 19:16
Joe,

I am aware these things like Porta Potties are fail safe and never come apart. I have heard of one actually doing so though all over the top of a roof rack and the vehicle below!!!! Not sure of the brand but could be nice if it happened : -(>

Because it lives in a living space in the daytime. I have mine stowed not in it's original box because it didn't last long, but in one of the plastic tubs originally bought for a stowage box years ago. Keep the chemicals in it too and toilet paper. Any spillage if any will be kept to a minimised area.

Wives are funny about the seats on these too, they always want them closed again.

Regards

JohnR - Not enough of the right travelling, some here..... some over there.......
AnswerID: 44223

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 20:20

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 20:20
See post 9967..or do an archive search...there has been plenty on this crappy subject.....the idea behind the potti is that you should dispose of the chemicalled waste in an environmentally friendly way......to my mind a shovel does the trick just as well and all waste is bio degradible...all you have to do is to burn the paper.
Carrying the porta on the roofrack...hope you don't drive under any low branches or you could be in for a surprise.!!!!!!

Cheers,

Willem

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 44225

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Geelong) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 22:01

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 22:01
Enviroment friendly chemicals are available Willem. I agree with the shovel solution but some females tend to be a bit touchyI may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
maddogmorgan@mail15.com
FollowupID: 306465

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 22:13

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 22:13
Ray.......I don't mind touching the female kind............it would seem from most answers and excuses on this forum that the fellas are a bunch of henpecked blokes. Whenever the missus, handbrake, minister for war, swmbo, financial department etc etc is mentioned in a thread it is to do with the blokes not getting it their own way. You wanna come camping with me you do it my way...you don't like it?...you stay at home. End of story. I will admit however that we do cart a PP around when the trailer is in tow as it is a relic from caravan days and it is handy when stuck on site for a day or two where there are no facilities. However, I prefer the wind in my...............

Cheers,
Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 306467

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 17:11

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 17:11
Willem
just read your details again
at the top you say you carry 6 jerry cans of fuel....yet down the bottom you say 7 jerry's for fuel...can you go and count them again please ..what is it 6 or 7....lolWow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
FollowupID: 306496

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 20:05

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 20:05
Oh Richard...you must go easy on the red...read it again.............. 6 jerries in the car and another 7 jerries in the trailer...6 and 7 makes 13...go big mob further into the bush with that petrol guzzler..........
Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 306505

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 21:11

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 21:11
yep the annies lane was to my liking
what ya talking about 6 & 7 makes 13....no where is that good enough for crib...has to be 15 for 1 etc etc etcWow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
FollowupID: 306515

Reply By: Member - Peter- Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 08:25

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 08:25
I agree with Willem, get them used to it early and there is never a problem. The only probs we have had in over twenty five years is a little girl who overbalanced and fell into the hole she had partially filled ;-)) and a son who nearly started a grass fire when he was burning the paper (never mind how much dry grass he added).
I will concede though that I can see that when we are older and not as flexible that squatting will not be an option and the PP will be required.
Elderly friends that do extended touring with a PP have found that it is best to carry it in the vehicle in a plastic tub as the larger movement when up on the rack caused leaks and damage. Putting it in the trailer was a definite no no.
AnswerID: 44253

Reply By: Space Bastard - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 21:37

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 21:37
We use them on boats because you cant pump sewage straight into the rivers and lakes anymore, and usually try to avoid using them as much as possible. When necessity calls, the chemicals are pretty potent at sanitizing, and do reduce the smell in enclosed spaces, but we empty as often as possible, simply because we don't get to land all that often when cruising. I wouldn't want to leave them full for a week, but provided the chemicals are topped up and suitable there's no reason why 1 week should be out of the question.

Usually we empty every 3 or 4 days depending on the availability of facilities to do so.
AnswerID: 44303

Sponsored Links