Breakdown Insurance

Submitted: Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 12:53
ThreadID: 99928 Views:3085 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone recommend an insurance company that covers breakdowns for a Prado 06 Diesel and Coromal lifestyle caravan.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: fisho64 - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 14:12

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 14:12
Id be suprised if you find any, usually its only as an extension of factory warranty or from the used car dealer at a hefty premium with service conditions and of dubious value especially if you want any control of how your vehicle is repaired and by whom.
AnswerID: 502251

Reply By: Rod W - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 15:17

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 15:17
do you mean road side assistance?
AnswerID: 502259

Follow Up By: Member - SeabreezeOZ - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 18:02

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 18:02
Yes, roadside assistance. So if i breakdown i can get towed to a mechanic etc.
FollowupID: 778659

Reply By: Steve D1 - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 16:01

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 16:01
Maybe you are looking for Roadside assist. NRMA / RACQ or the like. Alternatively, Allianz has free "roadside / breakdown service " with comprehensive insurance policies.

AnswerID: 502266

Reply By: Rockape - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 18:11

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 18:11
Just be careful as to what it covers. Recovery and transport of the van.

I have RACQ ultimate and it will just cover the van as it comes in under 22'6" which includes the drawbar.

They also limit the length for a recovery tow. have a good read of the conditions.

AnswerID: 502284

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 20:20

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 20:20
Thanks RA, back to the drawing board. We to are with Racq thinking having the lot there would be safe. They never said about the 22'6 limit. Grrr
FollowupID: 778674

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 00:54

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 00:54
They also usually have a weight limit for towing /recovery purposes, used to be 2.5t which most 4wd's would exceed, NRMA did lift the weight limit to 3.5t from memory but this would be still exceeded by a full size 4wd loaded for an outback trip.
As has been said read the fine print, quite often insurance and other policies have distance limits. they are sometimes just a contact point that will arrange towing etc but it is done at your cost.
FollowupID: 778689

Follow Up By: Rockape - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 07:02

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 07:02
Just dragged out the Ultimate roadside assist conditions.

Caravans.If your vehicle suffers a mechanical breakdown while towing a van or trailer, we will provide free towing we will provide free towing under the same towing conditions and the same destination as your vehicle. If your caravan suffers a breakdown it will be towed up to 100k in any direction or up to 200k to return to the attending contractors premises. In some cases such as a broken axle you may also apply for special towing benefits of up to $250 per annum. Full list of benefits on page 12. But there is more!

Caravan and trailer recovery. If your van is to be sent home the service is limited to under 5.5m including the drawbar. But there is more!

We can't provide towing from the breakdown if the van exceeds.

7 metres or 23feet including the drawbar.
is oversize. 2.3m wide.
weighs over 4 tonne.
excludes 5th wheelers.

I am ok as the length of our van is less than 23 feet overall but that really only covers a van up to 17'6".

They will not send my van home as it exceeds the 5.5m and in reality this clause would only cover trailers.

I am sure with the amount of vans on the road they will increase the length over time. This will cost more as a big van would take up 2/3rd of a semi's trailer.

Also I would think if the contractor turned up with a tilt tray capable of towing the van he would and maybe charge you a small amount.

Also vehicles can't exceed 4 tonnes. But without scales they really won't know. They might cast their eye at a loaded F truck.

FollowupID: 778691

Reply By: mike g2 - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 01:54

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 01:54
Hi mrlocks, have found getting insurance of caravans and rv's not easy (in perth). try CIL ( Caravan Insurance) or shannons. as far as prado and van concerned , normal insurance doesnt usually cover breakdown. road side assist is often basic-flat tires, dead battery,fuel low,locked out keys ...and can be hard to get in the country. need to read policy as to whats provided. main exception is RAC in each state, they provide vehicle breakdown service. try google it.
AnswerID: 502313

Reply By: PeterInSa - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 13:23

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 13:23
My understanding is that if you Insure the Tug and van with Ken Tame Insurance Brokers 03 9853 5555 they will cover you for $1,000 of breakdown charges a year, max of $600 in any one claim.

Furthermore if you are covered by the RACQ or RAA breakdown cover you could well be covered for the Prado trip to the next major town, top cover for 200Km? so the $600 of KT Cover could go towards towing the caravan. Or KT for just the van if it has to be Flat Towed.

Have not tried the above, so do not know if its feasible, but seems logical.

For KT Insurance you must be a member of the CMCA, caravam members are associates, only draw back is you cannot vote at AGM's and can only come to one rally in your van, other than that all other benefits.

Comments appreciated as I am thinking of the above with a 21' 6" Tandem van.
AnswerID: 502353

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)