Human Behaviour

Submitted: Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 13:17
ThreadID: 99929 Views:4736 Replies:17 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Have been camping in a park for a few weeks, watching caravans come and go.

Almost to a man, the 'BOSS' puts up the annex and pulls it down with his children running off to the beach. The PRINCESS, sits in a chair under a tree and talks with all the passers by.

I tried to help, even just placing pegs and ropes on the ground or holding up a wall while it was clipped in, but was usually told, "Thanks, but I like to do it myself."

WHY? Its much easier and quicker if there are two pairs of hands.

One of the guys was a distant relative, whose Father put up a 15 x 20 Birkmyre tent on his own. Six boys (kids) who were sent off surfing and a Mother who went shopping while this was going on. His kids (the boys) do exactly the same thing as their Father - put up their tents etc on their own.

I must have been a right bastard as my kids didn't leave the camp until it was substantially completed ad all their allocated jobs were done; including organising their beds and clothes cupboards.

Whats with this macho bull bleep ?

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 13:22

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 13:22
Macho and caravans - the 2 words don't go together Bill- at least not until I get a seniors card.

Give'em all there own swags I say !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 502242

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexic - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 17:42

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 17:42
LOL Robin, I guess that when you get your seniors card you will go soft too.
Cheers
Des lexic
FollowupID: 778656

Reply By: Gramps - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 13:25

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 13:25
Hahahaha

"macho bull bleep " - exactly that. I'll join the line of "right bastards" with you :)

Regards
AnswerID: 502243

Follow Up By: dbish - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 13:37

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 13:37
Some times after traveling its good to see them all just disapear & leave you with peace & quiet!!!!
FollowupID: 778631

Follow Up By: Gramps - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 14:03

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 14:03
Know how you feel but I can be very tolerant for that little bit longer until the job is done :)

Regards
FollowupID: 778633

Reply By: Seanny - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 13:37

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 13:37
Hello Bill,

Most fellas want to be the king and be independent and culturally, Australian males in general want to be in control. She'll be right mate.

I enjoy the assistance especially if the camper is not quite in the right spot and needs a push or the annexe is flapping in the breeze or the ground is quite hard as it gives me a chance to offer a beer and a chair along the way to completion.

In any event, one never knows who one will meet in such situations.

Cheers,

Seanny
AnswerID: 502245

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 13:52

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 13:52
Yep, Im affraid a fit into the bastard catagorie too. Job no one.....get Dad a beer! Then they all know the routine.........Once the chairs are set up under the anex and the sink is clipped onto the kitchen they can take off and do what they like. LOL
AnswerID: 502247

Reply By: LeeJ - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 14:01

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 14:01
Haha, screw that! I drove there- I say the kids can put the damn annexe out.....ok, ok- I might help seeing as the "kids" only consist of 1 midget 7yr old!
AnswerID: 502248

Reply By: pop2jocem - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 14:23

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 14:23
When the kids traveled with us they were given small jobs to do mainly so that we knew where they were.
Now it's just the good lady wife and myself and we usually both put up the annex and general set up. Maybe I am just lucky but the missus is no "princess" and works just as hard as I do.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 502254

Reply By: Mark T6 - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 14:33

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 14:33
I had another experience to this at Christmas.

Did the family Xmas deal, 2 daughters, 2 sons in law, 4 grandkids for a week in the Xmas-New Year period.

My wife and I have a Black Wolf Turbo Tent....small but up in a few minutes.....then the stretchers, self inflating mattress, sheets, pillow and we are right to go...10 mins max.

My two son in laws have two different tents, one a massive heavy canvas deal (once up an amazing set up), and the other one of those complicated ,multi room deals that take ages to put up.

My wife and I set mine up and the one with the big tent started getting their stuff ready (the other son in law arrived 2 hours later) and when I was finished mine went over to help.

Now this tent is a real struggle, it's big, heavy and needs probably four or more people to get it up.....now opposite us were a large family group, with stacks of people that "could" of helped....NOT ONE offered and in fact watched us busting a gut to try and get t up.

I have camped for years and certainly in the "old days" offers of help were common...seems not anymore
AnswerID: 502256

Follow Up By: bluefella - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 15:16

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 15:16
I just ask would like a hand, most appreciate the offer, some decline, some say thanks mate.
FollowupID: 778645

Follow Up By: Mark T6 - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 15:29

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 15:29
Pity you were not next to me at Xmas, we would have happily taken a hand.

It's a great tent (once up) but gee it's a heavy damn thing.

I can set our Black Wolfe up (almost) with one hand behind my back...this thing is about as big as the Sydney Opera House
FollowupID: 778649

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 13:55

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 13:55
hi
i trained my son and daughter and my spiel was
i'm on holidays too so pull your weight or you wont be coming next time and that was the case at home i made it quiet clear but in a loving way i wasnt their 24 hr slave for most things
their both better citizens for it now
as for helping others i'm generous enough
but if they bring something like the syndey opera house to put up and camp in
educate them by letting them struggle
you'll find in most cases next time you see them they have a tent that is much easier to erect --lol
i guess im a hard bars---d from the bush and didnt come down with the last shower of rain --bin 'round ,so to speak
cheers
FollowupID: 778765

Reply By: baz&pud (tassie) - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 16:35

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 16:35
Heard the story of a couple who arrived in a cvp, Dad, Mum, and a couple of kids, out of the car the tent was set up in no time at all, bbq out, chairs around it, the person who told me the story couldn't believe his eyes, so went over to congratulate the family on a job well done.
The Dad said thanks, but no one is allowed to go to the toilet till the camp is set up.
Cheers
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 502271

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 18:50

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 18:50
Clever thinking
FollowupID: 778661

Reply By: Kate5 - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 17:39

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 17:39
I might be the female version of doing it all myself. we have an oztent and hubby has no patience even for putting it up so I find I can have us all set up
(beds, awning, clothes etc) on my own ready for a drink in 20 min. I get help from hubby if its windy or on very hard ground & I have to play the girly card!! However I have no problems excepting help from others, & return the favour if can.
In fairness to hubby he does everything else for the rest of the trip until its packing up time then I'm up again.
Things may change this winter camp season however as I will be 6-8 months pregnant......
AnswerID: 502280

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 18:54

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 18:54
When we had the camper it was all hands on deck. Now with the van there isnt much to do, we have more time to get further so they are in the car more. Glad for the kids to find something else to do. Quiet me time.
AnswerID: 502289

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 19:37

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 19:37
Well the other half and I are a team. We set up and pack up togehter. We both know all that needs to be done and just get it all done as we complete each task. The only thing I do like to do myself is all the hitching up to the Cruiser. I just feel more comfortable with it that way, and its nothing to do with `Macho' or testostorone LOL.

As for offering a helping hand, that to has stood us in good stead. Once in Karijini we I popped over to help a lone guy park his van in a very restricted bay and we are still in touch and I'd say good friends. A second instance was helping a couple put up the awning on their new van at Coral Bay. That led to drinks and chats into the stay. Their daughter and son-in-law were also with them, unbeknown to us and we got introduced. They all live down in Manji, and we've all become firm friends. We have since done several camps with them and its been great. We have also been introduced to some of their regular companions that camp and its been a real bonus. I reckon it has to be the best `free 15 mins' I've ever given.

It just goes to show that you can never tell who you are going to meet. Thats why I just love camping.
AnswerID: 502292

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 20:18

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 20:18
Nice story Phil. I like to have a positive one at the end of a hard week. Thanks heaps. Bob.
FollowupID: 778673

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 22:34

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 22:34
Cheers Bob.
FollowupID: 778682

Reply By: Member - VickiW - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 20:02

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 20:02
So that's where I went wrong! I always helped & more often did the set up while he was off taking photos.

Well it did me in good stead as I'm now fine setting up by myself, not that a bit of help would be unwelcome.
:)
Vicki
AnswerID: 502296

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 20:17

Friday, Jan 11, 2013 at 20:17
Our set-up/pull down is always a team affair, and I cant envisage it being any other way. Our (functional, maybe not very glamorous) rig has been "refined" over time and use so that there is not much in the set-up that is hard to do, certainly nothing that requires us to "bust a gut". Years ago when we started to get serious about setting up for camping one of our "design criteria" was that it all had to be capable of being managed by one person if need be - pretty essential given the number of times we bush camp on our own. We have had plenty of comments over the years along the lines of "you've done that before". Did a rough calculation last trip and reckoned that our old tent that goes off the back of Troopy has been up and down about 3-400 times.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 502297

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 00:37

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 00:37
I'm with the original poster and others, it is team efffort, when the kids were little they all had their allotted tasks.
But yes we've seen the ones where everyone makes themselves scarce while the bloke erects the camp all by himself.
Best one was years ago at a caravan park in Tassie, car and weird looking box trailer pulls in just after midday, mum and two kids all pile out, kids disappear to playground, Mum gets a chair out of the boot and a book and sits about 50 feet away under tree and reads.
The bloke proceeds to unhook trailer and put legs down then it was like Tardis, all timber frame and plywood sheeting, he took ALL afternoon to erect it by himself, was really fiddly to erect and obviously of his own design. When finished he had a boxy structure on the box trailer with two beds and that seemed to be all. Kids came back and put up a small dome tent.
Bugger me next morning he spent another 3 1/2 hours pulling it all down and left, couldn't have gone far as they would have had to camp by midday again so he could re erect it!
AnswerID: 502310

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 09:46

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 09:46
BBuz
No simpathy for the people concerned ,
if the kids had some dissiplin at home probably be very different .
In my day there were jobs to be done first an they were not negotiable ,
mechpete
AnswerID: 502331

Reply By: flashcher - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 11:05

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 11:05
My husband and I always argued while setting up. This apparently was due to me asking too many times if I could help and it made him feel rushed. When I was growing up the only way to avoid the wrath of the dictator was to be there on the spot ready and waiting for the next order to be barked.

Hubby and I started off with a tent top - lots of work (and arguments), didn't last long and he said it must go.

Next came the wind up camper with bagged awning - only just less work (and arguments), lasted a little long and then he said it must go.

About this time last year we took delivery of a pop top Expanda with roll out awning - much less work, but still arguments - have decided he is just moody.
AnswerID: 502342

Follow Up By: Axle - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 12:56

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 12:56
HAhahahahaha!, thats us Flascher, Arguing 10ks before we get there, then onsite, then for ten km on departure, and yet usually have a good time, i reckon its the missus fault..))))))))

Cheers Axle,
FollowupID: 778753

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 14:07

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 14:07
hi axle time to trade each other in and have a wheely good time ??????lol cheers
FollowupID: 778770

Follow Up By: flashcher - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 16:58

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 16:58
Hubby wanted to put a sign on the back of the van - 'Happy wife, happy life'. lol might take some practise.
FollowupID: 778784

Reply By: Member - Royce - Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 18:18

Saturday, Jan 12, 2013 at 18:18
This is a crucial part of establishing your territory.

The male of the species must stamp his mark on the area to be inhabited.

The female and offspring spread out and establish the wider territory while the bull stamps his ground. Not going to go into the s#@t aspect.
AnswerID: 502380

Sponsored Links