4wd draw systems

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 13:20
ThreadID: 99961 Views:2572 Replies:4 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all members I have been chasing draw system for our vehicle which has a removable unit on the rear. I asked for your input and as usual you didn't let us down.
We finally made a decision and settled for a custom set from Drifta Kitchens, if your looking at the same senario that we had I would check them out thanks again all kind regards Alan.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 14:10

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 14:10
G'day Alan
I think you mean drawer systems. Lately, many people are mentioning draw systems when they are actually a set of drawers. ie the drawers slid out and in.
A draw bar does, however, draw something along unlike a drawer system. Totally different meaning if the ER isn't there, their or they're.
When my daughter was small, teachers said it is ok if she can't spal it, because we know what she means.
She later found out how it all worked in speekin and writin and became a good speller.
If a person speaks correctly to someone else, they the recipient, should be able to understand which draw or drawer is being referred to because of the clear speech.
Writing works in a similar manner.

Cheers

Ross M
AnswerID: 502425

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 14:17

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 14:17
It doesn't help the search function if words are misspelled either.
FollowupID: 778870

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 14:23

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 14:23
Ross, your'e a braver man than I. I'm putting a "Thread Watch" on this and standing well to one side. LOL

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 778871

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 17:06

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 17:06
Rod N
A very good point, sort of negates a search function I suppose.

Allan B
Does a thread watch correct spelling and contextual issues?

I hope someone corrects me when I slip up, even though they can work it out.
Some issues on here and other sites are technical in nature and just one letter or word can alter the ability of people to diagnose and respond with meaningful assistance. I am glad in this case there is no pressing or dire need for correct replies to possibly help sort a problem.

Ross M
FollowupID: 778893

Follow Up By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 17:32

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 17:32
Ross, At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man, I think you are at risk of being called a grumpy old man!
FollowupID: 778900

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 18:27

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 18:27
Ross, you make a good point. What is the point of all our smart technology when we do such a sloppy job with the basic tool that we need to make it all work ie language and how it is spelled (or is that spelt?)

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 778914

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 14:26

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 14:26
Thanks for the info Alan.
Maybe I'm different but I understood what you meant each time.
Cheers.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 502428

Reply By: Member - Alan John C (WA) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 14:31

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 14:31
All I am going to say to this is Ross you need to get out and get a life or get a job at Wikapedia .

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 502429

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 14:53

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 14:53
G'day Alan

I was going to make a comment similar to yours but thought I best not. But now that you have - imagine the exciting fun to be had and the riveting stories being told around the campfire with Ross M and PJR from the previous thread ??

You wonder what sort of lives some people must lead ??

The way I see it - If you are NOT laughing you are NOT living !!!!

Cheers

Gazz

FollowupID: 778885

Follow Up By: Hunter Gatherer - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 17:29

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 17:29
Some people are just miserable and never happy with their lives, and then want to make others unhappy, who cares if someone has inadvertently misspelt a word. There are people starving in the world why don't you spend time trying to do some good? HG.
FollowupID: 778898

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 18:11

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 18:11
Quote - Member - Alan John C (WA) replied:
All I am going to say to this is Ross you need to get out and get a life or get a job at Wikapedia .

Alan, that would be 'Wikipedia' perhaps . . . :D
FollowupID: 779021

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 18:18

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 18:18
Oh no Les. I saw that one straight off but let it go through to the keeper. You are going to give us pedants a bad name! LOL
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 779022

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 18:31

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 18:31
All he was doing was pointing out that the OP would get much better search results if he used the correct word. Draw & drawer are two totally different words & will get totally different search results.
FollowupID: 779023

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 19:26

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 19:26
Allan B (Member, SunCoast) posted:
Oh no Les. I saw that one straight off but let it go through to the keeper. You are going to give us pedants a bad name! LOL

> pedantics <
FollowupID: 779026

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 19:46

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 19:46

Les,

From the dictionary:

Pedant. noun. One who insists on strict adherence to formal rules.

Pedantic: adjective. An attribute pertaining to a pedant.

Go argue it with Mr Oxford.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 779029

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 19:48

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 19:48
Ha, got me lol :D
FollowupID: 779030

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:34

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:34

G'day Alan John and others.

Alan, I'm pleased that the Forum was of help in you finding a suitable set of drawers for your vehicle.

But I must come to the defence of Ross M when he commented on you incorrectly using the word "draws" instead of "drawers".
This was not a misspelling but rather the wrong word altogether, but sure, the world did not come to an end because of it.

The point I wish to make is that Ross made the comment politely and respectfully yet he was personally attacked in response. Expressions such as "...join the local library", "...grumpy old man", "....riveting stories around the campfire", "....people starving" and even dragging in "....PJR from the previous thread".

Just what is it about the subject of language usage? If a correction is expressed about some physical matter such as best tyre or the right oil for gearboxes then it may be debated but rarely descends into abuse of the writer. However, comment on someone's misuse of language and the reaction is as though you had attacked his manhood or accused him of paedophilia. Cannot the recipient simply say thank you for the correction and learn from it?

Some of my ability with the language came from primary education but much of it has come from both the observance of other people's usage and also being politely corrected by them (including my dear wife, bless her affection). Correction does not attack my self-esteem and I am grateful to learn, as I am in most matters.

And Hunter Gatherer, I tried being more casual with my language but it didn't work........ people kept starving! LOL

A final comment...... I think it is far better to respond to the message than to personally attack the messenger.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 502508

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 11:11

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 11:11
Excellent response Allan
Cheers,
Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 778965

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 11:21

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 11:21
Hi Allan,

I agree with you, up to a point. The valid comment by Ross M could have been made without so much sarcasm. Simply pointing out that draw and drawer will not help with a future search, no need to go on about school teachers and learning issues etc..., could be taken as very condescending IMHO. If it was meant to add humour, it didn't quite hit the mark, especially as it can be construed as a shot at the OP. But it is certainly hard to get any tone/context across in a post when one does not have facial expressions and voice tone to get the cues. Now we all sound like grumpy old men.... :)

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 778966

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 11:36

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 11:36
Hi Captain,
Do I qualify as a grumpy old man?
Cheers,
Val
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 778968

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 11:39

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 11:39
Your welcome to be an honorary member ;)

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 778969

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 13:30

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 13:30
No, you don't sound grumpy Val.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 778980

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 13:41

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 13:41
Hi Captain, I re-read Ross' post and really did not see sarcasm, an attempt at some humour perhaps to maybe lighten the criticism but, if so, clearly unsuccessful. But as you say, it is difficult to get the subtlety across with only the written word. But I would give Ross the benefit of the doubt.

And thanks Val. I knew you would appreciate it.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 778983

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 13:50

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 13:50
Allan,
Co-incidentally, Aunty has this article for us today.
Cheers,
Val
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 778986

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 15:28

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 15:28
Although I'm not a fan of Frank SINatra, "I did it my way".

No, I wasn't being insulting, merely pointing out how a word can mean something else than what was intended.

From the replies I see there is a lot of angry, sensitive souls out here.

I hope they don't have trouble with their vehicle ABS, ECU, EGT"S or their DSC's cos, if they do the sharks will bite if they don't get it right..

Thanks to John & Val for the auntie article.

Recently, on ear, a very learned lady replied to a poster who criticized someone, she pointed out to him that she couldn't understand what he was on about. Neither could I and she is far more edificated than me.
She didn't beat around the bush, she just told him.

No, I didn't forget the"h", I left it out on purpose.

Cheers from the,
Fully chilled out, fully lived up, but not affected by red wine.
Ross M
FollowupID: 778996

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 15:57

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 15:57
Val,

Thank you for the link to that article. It made interesting reading. So did several of the initial "comments" however I did not have the fortitude to read all 282. Coincidental that it should appear just at this time.

Although receiving my formal education at a time when there was an emphasis on grammar I now lament that I have forgotten much of the mechanics of English grammar and formulate by experience rather than formal cognisance. I have totally forgotten what a 'passive participle' is! But of course some may say "Does it really matter?"

Much the same may be said of my electrical engineering studies. I remembered enough detail to pass the exams but began forgetting much of it from that moment. I succeeded in practice because I understood the principles and knew where to look it up if need be. So much is the same with grammar. (And there go two tricky words-- 'practice' and 'principles')

What some people never become aware of is that written English can be very beautiful in the hands of a good author and a joy to read. But then I probably will not become aware of the joys of their skydiving or whatever but I will not criticise their pursuit and articulation of it.

What really surprises me is that some persons can read other peoples use of certain words (such as 'their') and yet never become curious enough to wonder why their own spelling as 'there' may perhaps be wrong and do something about it.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 778998

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 22:38

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 22:38
Hi Allan,
One difference between language and skydiving - one is optional, the other is an inherent part of what makes us human.

Its a pity that from the 70/80s on our educators saw fit to drop grammar (and spelling) from the curriculum, so I guess we can't really blame the younger generations for their lack of knowledge in that regard. Many (but not all) of them now, I suspect don't read books much, and with the advent of social media and other electronic forms of communication they see a lot of poor spelling and grammar, so errors are constantly reinforced.

What I do find ironic is the attitude that "it doesn't matter", when they clearly don't know enough about the value of correct use of language to make such a judgement. That and resistance to any suggestion for improvement.

Oh well, I guess we will just have to resign ourselves to being grumpy old pedants!

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779054

Sponsored Links