Jackaroo 4WD question

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 16:01
ThreadID: 99965 Views:5453 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I've recently purchased a Holden Jackaroo, 2003 SE, manual, V6 petrol and I'm confused by the four wheel drive system.

The driver's handbook is as clear as mud on this issue but, basically, the system comprises; the usual five speed manual gearbox, a transfer case with a lever marked High and Low only (important: just two positions) and a switch on the dash marked "4WD".

My vehicle is the "Shift on the fly" transmission and NOT the "Torque on demand" one.

The four wheel drive system seems to work; ie. I press the "4WD" switch and I can hear a relay click and the transfer case is able to be moved to the Low position. The vehicle is certainly in low range and operating as expected.

My confusion is that the 4WD illuminated mimic on the instrument cluster, when the 4WD switch is pressed, is always flashing at the 2Hz rate, it is never constantly on. I can make it flash at the 4Hz rate by releasing the "4WD" switch when driving in low range so that aspect seems to be working correctly.

My understanding from the (mud like) manual is that the mimic should be permanently illuminated when "Shift on the fly" is not active although the manual is not clear on how to get into a 4WD mode which doesn't involve "Shift on the fly"!?

Two questions: is anyone able to explain this system more clearly than the manual please?

Is there an easy test to determine if the front wheels are actually being driven? I can readily tell the vehicle is in low range but is it driving all four wheels?

Thanks in advance.

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: wizzer73 - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 18:38

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 18:38
My Jack doesn't have the shift on fly feature. But I'm sure someone will be able to answer your question here.
If they can't, try posting the same question here - jackaroo forum

cheers
wizzer
AnswerID: 502461

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 22:39

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 22:39
Nor does mine but you should be able to tell by driving along a dirt road and switching in and out opf 4wd. The feel of 2wd and 4wd is noticeably different.
FollowupID: 778940

Follow Up By: FireGazer - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 21:02

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 21:02
Thanks wizzer - I have referred my question elsewhere.
FollowupID: 779339

Reply By: madfisher - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 22:06

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 22:06
Put it up a steep slippery bank and you will soon know.LOL The light should stay illuminated, it most likely is engaging ok just a dud light.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 502488

Reply By: Rangiephil - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 21:00

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 21:00
Just something remembered from when my son bought one.

If it is like his, under the fancy wheel centres there are front free wheeling hubs.

They had to be engaged before four wheel drive will work.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 502560

Sponsored Links