No Access to Site

Submitted: Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 19:38
ThreadID: 99987 Views:1780 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
What is going on with site access. I just spent about 10 minutes or more (5-15 EST) trying to get on and got several different error messages. I went to other forums, read and answered several posts and EO was still not responding. This has been happening on and off for quite awhile. Are you fiddling again David? I am starting to wonder if is worth paying to be a member with such flaky forum. Not happy Jan.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 19:47

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 19:47
Fair go Rod,
All sites close for maitenance from time to time. Not the end of the world.
David & Michelle don't really get much thanks for all the great work they do. Quite a few worse things that can happen in your day if you get it into perspective.
AnswerID: 502548

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 20:01

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 20:01
I've been in and out of the site during the day and had no problems.

AnswerID: 502550

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 20:09

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 20:09
Did you make any enquiries of the office Rod? Perhaps you may get a quicker response or answer by sending David an email direct. The EO site is a lot more than just the forum (as I notice you use the "My position" and Blog features which don't exist in many, if not most, generic public fora). I've been on since 1630 EDT and doing a bit of blog-cleaning and haven't noticed anything similar to what you've experienced. I was having a poke around in the "Contact Us" section at the bottom of the forum page and thought this might be of interest in respect to the membership fee. It may also help to put things into perspective a bit when considering that EO isn't a generic system hosted templated (and cheap to run) forum like many of the others, rather a unique, purpose built, comprehensive website and reference system built from scratch and to purpose by a husband and wife team.

"You would be surprised at how much infrastructure, development expertise, time and costs are associated with operating such a large, dynamic, complex website as ExplorOz.com. The advertising income we derive still only covers about 50% of our operation costs, with the remainder of the costs being covered through our online shop, ad sales in classifieds, and membership subscriptions. Whilst our operating costs are high, we work very hard to minimise our administration expenses and don't exhibit at shows, run print or tv advertising, or use fancy marketing. Staff resources are limited to just 3 people on payroll, with the remainder of work performed by volunteers."

Give David a hoy. I'm sure he'll have the answers you seek.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 502552

Reply By: disco driver - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 20:20

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 20:20
Poor You
About the time you were complaining about having no access there was a message on the screen stating that essential maintenance was to be carried out and apologising for the short delay. And that's all it was........ A SHORT DELAY of about 5 minutes.

Be a bit more tolerant and you won't get replies like mine.

Disco.

AnswerID: 502554

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 21:09

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 21:09
There was no message and it was in fact more than 10 minutes. All I got were error messages eg site unavailable. My tolerance is running out and messages like yours don't help.
FollowupID: 779042

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 21:20

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 21:20
Your tolerance is running out because the site went down for some maintenance, then you direct the fault towards a post that calls you out.

Fairdinkum!!

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 779046

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 21:28

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 21:28
Do not get wound up guys - all good. I have been struggling with some rationalising of the code over the last few days and it may have come up with the 503 Site Unavailable just after the compile went in. So no stress.
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779048

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 20:50

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 20:50
Yes it was me - I installed a whole new forum code system to the production server and instead of waiting till overnight I decided it best to load it during the day and give some hours tonight to see how it performs before I load the next load of updates and reboot the system at 1:30AM when you are all alseep. Yes we work almost around the clock and I am trying at the moment to refine much of the code to improve general performance and reduce the download/page size.

Sorry.
David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 502558

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 21:08

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 21:08
Thankyou hope it all goes well.At least you try to slip the updates here and there. My study website goes down for a whole day. Mostly on Sundays.
FollowupID: 779041

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 21:19

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 21:19
I am still using IE on windows Vista. Since the "bogging down" post the other day my pages have been loading quite a bit quicker so you are improving something David. Many Thanks and hope it keeps working for you. Bob.
FollowupID: 779044

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 21:25

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 21:25
Bob,
Another thought I had this morning - have a look at the size of your IE Cache - to view this go to Internet Options - General and click on Browsing History Settings and make sure the settings are Automatically and the disk space to use is less than 250MB. Can you tell me what it is?
David

I have seen many a system slow down when this is too high.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779047

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 22:49

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 22:49
Thanks for your replies and follow-ups in the other thread, David. For the record on this thread, there is a significant improvement tonight (10:45pm eastern) over what I reported this morning in the other thread. (Slimbrowser with the IE9 engine)

Going from page to page on the thread list is faster, Submit is faster, returning to the threadlist from a thread is faster.

Whatever you're doing, it seems to be working.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779059

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 06:37

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 06:37
Sorry David, I was in bed by the time your message came through. It is set on automatically with 50mb. Thanks,Bob.
FollowupID: 779072

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:20

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:20
Bob,

Those settings are perfect.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779097

Reply By: baz&pud (tassie) - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 20:51

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 20:51
It's been all sweet down here, and we are further away.
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 502559

Follow Up By: Mick O - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 20:58

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 20:58
Ah but it's all down hill Baz. I note your reply took longer because it had to come up hill.

;-)
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779039

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 00:59

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 00:59
thanks for the update David I was wondering what was going on, so I thought I would sit back and wait till tonight before I had another look all is good. Thank you for the site, and it is worth my membership money.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 502577

Sponsored Links