Glenburn Cottage - SA

Place Satellite Image
  Chalet,B&B

Position

DEG: -35.6057 138.2417
DMS: 35º 36' 20.53" S 138º 14' 30.12" E
UTM: 54 H 6056281mN 250138mE
Altitude: 271.82m

Description

Address & Contact

Forest Circuit Walk
Deep Creek SA 5204
Phone: (08) 8598 4169
Email: N/A
Web: http://www.southernoceanretreats.com.au/glenburn-holiday-rental-cottage-fleurieu-peninsula-accommodation-sa

Information

This self-contained cottage is located in the Deep Creek Conservation Park and is near the Park headquarters on Tapanappa Road. It is available for hikers, campers and other travellers to rent for short term accommodation. Glenburn Cottage is ideal for large families or groups wanting comfortable budget style accommodation. Its central location in Deep Creek Conservation Park provides a convenient base from which to explore the many attractions in the Park. Contact details shown above.

The Glenburn cottage and the surrounding land has an interesting history. During the early 1930’s Mr. Tom Backhouse opened up the land and used it for stripping wattle bark from Golden Wattle for the Glenburn Wattle Company. The wattle bark which was in high demand at the time, was used for leather tanning. It was transported to Leonards Mill at Second Valley where it was processed.

During the mid 1940’s the titles of land that Glenburn stands on were purchased by Mr. T. Haines. Shortly after, between 1945 to 1950, the first serious attempt to clear the land commenced. It was during this time that Mr Haines constructed a two roomed shack for him to live in. This was the framework of the current Glenburn cottage. Up until late 1950, the land was sparsely cleared and using for grazing.

In late 1950 Mr Jim Long purchased the land and named it ‘Angulong’. This was a derivative of his surname and the Angus cattle that he grazed on the land. It was during this time that the land was extensively cleared and used for pasture. Two additional rooms were added to the cottage and a large shed was built adjacent to the cottage. The shed was converted into living accommodation by an employee, Mr Tom Christie, who was employed by Mr. Long to clear the land and develop the property.

In 1960, the main house was built on the property. This is now the Deep Creek Conservation Park Ranger headquarters. Mr. Long moved into this house while Mr Christie moved from the shed into the cottage.

Mr. M Smith and Mr A. Shepherd subsequently purchased the property in 1972, and they renamed the land ‘Glenburn’. The cottage was was rented out during this time to private tenants, whilst the land was still used for grazing.

In 1976 the National Parks and Wildlife Service purchased the Glenburn property and it was included as part of the Deep Creek Conservation Park. However the land was leased back to Mr. Smith up until 1980, when the cottage was rented out to private tenants. This remained the case until 1982, when the National Parks and Wildlife Service Social Club took over the running of the cottage as holiday accommodation for staff and other visitors.

Since 1994, Southern Ocean Retreats has managed Glenburn Cottage. Extensive renovations also commenced which were completed in 1995.
PlaceID114403
iMapPlot Reference Image

Map

Loading Resources...

TrekNotes Near This Place (1)

Wildflowers

Weather

Closest Weather Station

TemperatureFeels LikeRel. HumidityDew PointPressureRainfallWind DirectionWind SpeedGusts

Closest Climatic Station

Parawa (Second Valley Forest Aws)
Distance from Glenburn Cottage 5.7km NE
 JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec
Mean Max. °C23.323.321.018.014.812.311.612.514.416.519.421.4
Mean Min. °C13.513.912.811.19.57.76.87.07.98.810.611.8
Mean Rain mm26.129.339.858.092.2126.2123.3103.084.563.044.734.7

Comments & Reviews

Post a Comment
You must be registered and logged in to post here.



Registration is free and takes only seconds to complete!
Loading...
Add Photos & Files
Alert Admin

Popular Content

Popular Products (15)