Address & Contact
English Rd
Chandler WA 6490
Phone: N/A
Email: N/A
Web: N/A
Lake
Chandler RuinsChandler was a short-lived industrial town established during WWII to process alunite from the adjacent Lake
Chandler into potash, which was needed after overseas supplies were cut off. The alunite was discovered in 1924 and was 8ft deep and considered extensive. Production went from 1944 until 1950 - 9073 tons were produced from 182,630 ton of raw material. Potash operation closed and the site was used for gypsum production for plaster products from 1949 to 1952, beginning while the potash operation was winding down. The postwar building boom created increased demand for plasterboard. The source of the gypsum was likely Lake Brown and because the facility at Lake
Chandler was already in place it was probably seen as a great opportunity to save on setup costs. At its peak,
Chandler had 70 houses, streets, a school, power house and other town facilities, but production after 3 years and the town was abandoned and sold off in 1953.
In 1975
Chandler Clay began treating the leftover alunite tailings and sold it as Kitty Litter. The operation employed five people and 30-40t per week were produced and this lasted until the material was exhausted in 1988.