Permits for Tasmania

The following information is provided to assist you in gaining the right permits to lawfully travel through or access specified regional and outback areas. It is very important to gain the right permit and follow the conditions imposed on it because they are in place to help protect the Aboriginal lands, National Parks, deserts and beaches as well as private and pastoral areas. This article by John Greig discusses most of the popular areas that four wheel drive tourists tend to visit within Tasmania.

Tasmanian National Parks

As far as can be ascertained there are no aboriginal permits required anywhere within Tasmania.

Entry fees and camping fees though apply in all Tasmanian National Parks. A range of entry permits are available. In 2010 a daily permit for a 24 hour period cost $24 per vehicle (up to 8 people), but Cradle Mountain has a different rate. (They are: per adult $16.50, per child $8.25 or a family pass is available at $41.25. The charges include the shuttle bus cost). A Holiday Pass to all National Parks is available for a 2 month period for $60 per vehicle (up to 8 people). An Annual All Parks Permit is available for $70 Low Season purchase or $96 High Season purchase – concession rates are available for the Annual All Parks Permits at $56 Low season and $76.80 High Season.

An on-line purchase system (credit card only) is available on the website. Alternatively, you can download an Order Form for postal applications (cheque or money order payment only). Passes are also available from National Park Visitor Centres, Tasmania Travel Information Centres, The Spirit of Tasmania, and Service Tasmania Shops.

Their very informative web site is at There are “quick links” to lots of information including “National Park Passes”. The site is well worth a visit.

Camping Fees

Camping fees vary markedly and are in addition to Park Entry fees. Full details of the camping charges that apply are available on the website – click on “Recreation” and then “Camping”. Charges can range between a minimum fee of $10 for two people per night to $22 per family per night (2 adults and up to 3 kids) depending on: the facilities offered within the Park; whether the area you intend to stay in is run by the Park Service or a commercial operator and of course whether you want a powered or unpowered site or simply a tent site. The cost for each child 5-17 is generally an extra $2.50 per night with kids under 5 free, and for each additional adult (18 and over) it is generally an additional $5 per night.

Accommodation Units, cabins, huts or chalets are available in some parks. Rates vary but start at about $44 per night for two people in a Unit whilst other Units can be $50 per night for a family (2 adults and up to 3 children), and $45 for the use of a hut for a night. Charges can range up to $185 per night for an 8 berth cabin. Children and extra adults are additional charges in some cabins and Units of about $10 per child and $25 per adult per night. Some parks also offer a weekly camping permit from about $50 for 1-2 adults plus an additional $25 for each additional adult and an additional $10 per child. On-line booking services are available for some parks.

Peak Periods

In peak periods, some of the Parks operate a ballot system due to demand, so you may need to apply many months ahead of the anticipated date of your visit. Out of peak season however, some of those same areas simply operate self registration systems. So check the website.


The Tasmania National Parks Visitor Information Service is contactable Monday to Friday on 1300 135 513. The direct number for the Park Entry section is (03) 6233 2621 and their fax is (03) 6223 8308.

The very informative web site is at and is well worth a visit.

The postal address is Parks and Wildlife Service, GPO Box 1751, Hobart, Tas. 7001.

Forestry Tasmania also operates campsites in many areas. They can be contacted on (03) 6233 8203 or via their website at ForestryTAS

Hydro Tasmania also operate a few camping areas and they can be contacted on (03) 6230 5301 or via their website at Hydro Tasmania

Can I get a Concession?:

Don’t forget, if you are dealing with a National Park Service or any Government Agency, and you have a Seniors Card or a Pension Card of some description; always ask whether a Seniors Discount is available. In most cases the answer is, yes!

Road Conditions:

Up to date road reports are available at

Parks and Wildlife Service Tasmania

Address: 134 Macquarie Street, Hobart, TAS 7000
Postal Address: Parks and Wildlife Service, GPO Box 1751, Hobart, Tasmania, 7001
Phone: (03) 6233 6461 or 1300 135 513
Fax: (03) 6223 8603

You can contact the Permits section of the Tasmanian Parks and Wildlife Service on: (03) 6233 2108


If you are dealing with a National Park Service or any Government Agency and you have a Seniors Card, Pension or Concession Card of some description; always ask whether a discounted rate applies.


Whilst every care has been taken in the preparation of this information, no responsibility can be accepted for either the accuracy of the contents or for any errors or omissions.

Comments & Reviews(1)

Post a Comment

Page Stats

Created: June 2007
Revised: May 2016
Latest Feedback: April 2013

Sponsored Links