Permits for Victoria

The following information is provided to assist you in gaining the right permits to lawfully travel through or access specified regional and outback areas. It is very important to gain the right permit and follow the conditions imposed on it because they are in place to help protect the Aboriginal lands, National Parks, deserts and beaches as well as private and pastoral areas. This article by John Greig discusses most of the popular areas that four wheel drive tourists tend to visit within Victoria.

National Parks and Conservation Areas

The really good news from Victoria is that on and from 1st July, 2010, entry to ALL of Victoria’s National Parks is FREE, yes FREE!

This includes major attractions such as: Wilsons Promontory National Park, Point Nepean National Park, Werribee Park, Mount Buffalo National Park, Baw Baw National Park (excluding the Mt Baw Baw Alpine Resort), Mornington Peninsula National Park, Yarra Ranges (Mount Donna Buang), Coolart Wetlands and Homestead, National Rhododendron Gardens and the William Ricketts Sanctuary.

Camping Fees

Camping fees, which vary from park to park, continue to apply though in many National Parks. Detailed information regarding the camping fees that apply can be found on the Parks Victoria website at click on “Activities” and then “Camping”. You will then be able to highlight the Park you intend to visit from a list, and when you click on it, the charges and all related information regarding booking, facilities, site availability, whether or not ballots apply in peak times (and if they do when they open and close), etc., will pop up. For some of the more popular national parks a button may also be available to facilitate on-line campsite bookings – look for it. The information available also includes seasonal and other road closures, and a whole host of other great information.
Bear in mind that there are a whole lot of seasonal road closures that operate in many areas of Victoria, and in many national parks.


Bear in mind also that there are a whole lot of seasonal road closures that operate in the high country of Victoria during the winter season.

Parks Victoria

Loads of other good information is also available from the Parks Victoria web site at and click on “Parks and Reserves”. There is also a button on the “Home” page that will take you to “Victoria’s Iconic 4WD Adventures”; now there’s a great site.

As far as can be ascertained there are no areas in Victoria where any form of aboriginal permit entry system operates.

The Parks Victoria Information Centre can also be contacted on 13 19 63 or by email at Parks Victoria

Head Office
Level 10
535 Bourke Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
Telephone (03) 8627 4699
Fax (03) 9629 5563

Road conditions generally:

For road conditions generally throughout Victoria, visit the VicRoads website at and click on “Roads and Traffic Conditions”. Up to date road reports are also available at

Can I get a Concession?:

Don’t forget, if you are dealing with a National Park Service or any Government Agency, and you have a Seniors Card or a Pension Card of some description; always ask whether a Seniors Discount is available. In most cases the answer is, yes!

Parks Victoria

Head Office: Level 10, 535 Bourke Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
Phone: 13 19 63 (within Australia) or (03) 8627 4699
Fax: (03) 9629 5563


For status of roads and tracks, visit ExplorOz Road Conditions, or the VicRoads website at and click on "Roads and Traffic Conditions".


Whilst every care has been taken in the preparation of this information, no responsibility can be accepted for either the accuracy of the contents or for any errors or omissions.

Comments & Reviews(2)

Post a Comment

Page Stats

Created: June 2007
Revised: May 2016
Latest Feedback: April 2013

Sponsored Links