Any info on Campomatic Off Road campers?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 13:21
ThreadID: 100126 Views:6903 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if anyone has recent experience with a Campomatic Off Road Hard Floor Quick Erect Camper Trailer. (have used search function, not much recent info) We are looking at going from our soft floor to a hard floor camper and I have seen these advertised and they seem not too bad value. We also like the Kimberley Kamper and Australian Off Road Camper Trailer, but they seem to be a bit pricy. Would appreciate your opinions.
Thanks, Kevin and Kris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hendo79 - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 18:52

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 18:52
Hi
I Just bought a 2000 model campomatic ranger after seaching around at the others on the market IE cub's and pioneers and this older camper is just as good if not better then these new ones it can fold away with the awning still attached to the roof and has better feature like a 4 burner stove and grill , independant suspension bigger water tank and fully wired with monitors for the power and water levels . And the best bit was it was only 15K

So I reckon you can't go wrong

Cheers
Hendo
AnswerID: 503152

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 19:26

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 19:26
I own a Campomatic and can recommend them as suitable for a couple.
Quick to erect, but the awning (like any camper) takes a while longer.

I am not overly impressed with the 4 burner stove. I have had the jets drilled out a bit but it still takes longer to boil a kettle than what my two burner Coleman stove achieves.
The grill however is a great toaster, enabling two slices to be toasted at the same time:-)

Storage space is more limited than my old soft floor camper but we have adjusted OK.

The upright Waeco compressor fridge appears reasonably hungry on the two 80Ah AGM batteries and I recommend a bi-fold solar panel of at least 80 amps to assist in recharging, if camping remotely.
I have also installed a dc-dc charger (Ctek D250S Dual) to recharge the batteries efficiently while driving and the solar panels connect to this as well.

I leave the awning on all the time and fold it over the roof prior to closing up.
I have also engineered a hand winch to assist in closing up, however I believe Campomatic now have upgraded gas struts available to retrofit.

I wasn't overly impressed with the inner spring mattress when we purchased our second hand (12 month old) unit and have replaced it with a 100mm standard queen size foam mattress from Clark rubber.
When kneeling on the original mattress, it would bottom out.

Oh, I have downgraded the original 265/75/16 wheels to 245/70/16 to match my Colorado Dual Cab. I now have two spares that are interchangeable between the vehicle and camper.

The boat loader I have on my camper is almost impossible to lock down when empty due to the lack of weight of the boat. It is easily removable however (4 bolts and it slides out sideways) and we only use it if taking the boat on a trip.
No major negatives to concern yourself with and the unit tows well and will go anywhere your tug can go.

The Kimberley and the Australian Off Road Campers are at the high end of the market, but the Campomatic sits pretty well below them with a few less bells and whistles and a much more attractive price.

Any other queries you may have, I would be only too happy to help.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503154

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 22:13

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 22:13
We bought a new Campomatic Ranger in 04 (no boat loader - no fridge), kept it for 5 years then moved on to our offroad van. Ours was close to the last built in Queensland by the original owners. We took ours on quite a lot of outback trips and found it very good overall - very robust in every respect, especially the great suspension. I did add a pulley setup to assist with closing the floor, but fit people can easily handle the whole setup in stock form. A few notes: - the canvas work was excellent and the awning, many windows and screens allowed for comfort in hot weather - the electric brakes worked very well - our pull out sink / stove was used a lot but the burners had no resistance to the lightest wind (we had to shield them with whatever or resort to our small portable stove if the wind was moderate+).
AnswerID: 503168

Sponsored Links