IMPORTANT: Firmware upgrade for IsatPhone Pro

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 16:13
ThreadID: 100128 Views:6039 Replies:14 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Nov. '12, V 5.2.0

This supports the alert feature that allows you to send an SMS or email to up to
10 recipients containing your coords and a predefined msg.

http://www.mgltelecoms.com/new-firmware-update-for-your-isatphone-pro/

Inmarsat advises that this is a mandatory update and if you don't install it by
June 30 you won't be able to use the phone after that.

Nice to find out (by chance).

Note that you'll need to install Inmarsat's USB drivers and there's a new set on the page linked to above. All of them should be installed to avoid nags on future computer connections and the absence of some appears to interfere with the running of the Upgrade program.

How to do this is documented on the CD but under Software not manuals.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 21:34

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 21:34
Hi Sigmund

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention, and to be honest, I do not usually worry about firmware upgrade - I should know better.

If is a bit daunting when you listen to the clips and when they say if you get it wrong, you could stuff your phone. There are 2 links that I watched before doing the upgrade, both different, but the same end results.

With all the drivers, Firmware Upgrade software and the latest firmware downloaded, I committed to the unknown, would I stuff the phone or would it be sweet going.

The whole process took a little over 10 minutes, I then did as they suggested and went into the menu to make sure that the correct firmware was downloaded correctly....All OK thank goodness.

I then took the phone outside and made the phone call to test the phone, and again all worked great. I will also add a couple of links that I watched first, and the links where to get the drivers, firmware upgrade tool and the latest firmware.

Links for all the Downloads

TC communications video of the "how to Upgrade"

This link has better volumne

Thanks Again

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503163

Reply By: didjabringabeer - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 22:04

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 22:04
Yes thanks for that. took me a bit longer than Stephen.
Brian
AnswerID: 503167

Reply By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 08:09

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 08:09
My upgrade did freeze before any progress showed; the program told me to restart the phone and the process. The phone wouldn't turn off - it was showing the black upgrade screen. I had to remove the battery.

After that all appeared to work as predicted but just testing, the phone it says it can see 8 sats but it doesn't get a fix so no calls are possible.

I'll try again.
AnswerID: 503187

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 08:38

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 08:38
Hi Sigmund

What upgrade did you follow????

Like I said in my reply above, I watched both videos on the upgrade and are both different, but the same end results.

I followed the first one I watched and not the Allsatphones one, why...

The first one suggested "do not Connect the phone" until you have the drivers installed, and the firmware upgrade tool installed, which was the complete opposite to the information given in the second video.

Just as well for me, as the moment that I inserted the USB connection into the computer and then into the phone, the phone turned itself on automatically and came to life by itself with a heap of numbers and codes on the screen. At this point I thought that I was a goner, as if you watch the Allsatphone, video, they say to connect the phone but do not turn it on.

The next thing that I did, again from the first video was press the "start upgrade" button on the computer screen and then the green tast bar started to move, very slow at first. I was still concerned, as the phone screen still had all those strange numbers and codes.

It was around the 12 minute mark that the green task bar went full green and showed 100% and the wording "Upgrade Complete" showed. I then hit the finish button, and then followed the Allstaphone advise and went to the menu and made sure that the new firmware was installed, thank goodness it was.

The rest was then all ok.

All the best and I hope that your upgrade does work.

Thanks again for letting us all know.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779834

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 09:21

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 09:21
Yep, 3rd time lucky. We have lift-off. Phew!

I was following the Inmarsat instructions for V5.2.2, the CD instructions for installing the drivers, and the upgrader instructions as the s/w ran.

Yes, these days with 'puters it seems the norm to install s/w and drivers before the device presumably to avoid having Windows run off and try to find a best match.
FollowupID: 779839

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 19:22

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 19:22
Hi Sigmund

I contacted Allsatphone (the mob where mine was through and my service provider) regarding the upgrade. In your reply above, you mention the upgrade 5.2.2

I have not been able to find this and it was one of the questions that I asked TC Communications. This was their quick reply and as you can see, they say that the 5.2.0 is the latest upgrade and the one that you mentioned in your original post.

"Hi Stephen,

This is correct, The 5.2.0 firmware was released by Inmarsat in late
November 2012 and after testing it ourselves locally we released it onto
our website in early December 2012.

There has not been any other firmware releases by Inmarsat since the 5.2.0.

The 5.2.0 firmware contains upgrades that will effect the performance on
the network and Inmarsat advises that per end of June this upgrade is
absolutely critical as IsatPhone Pro phones that are not upgraded by 30th
of June, 2013, will no longer be able to register and make/receive calls.

Regards

Shane Higgins
TC Support - Duty Technician

Helpdesk hours of operation are 9-5pm, Mon ­ Fri (AEST)
An on call duty technician is available for urgent problems outside these
hours.

TC Communications Pty Ltd | Unit A3 Cameron Centre, 255 Rawson Street |
Auburn | NSW 2144 | Australia
P. +61 2 9714 5141 | F. +61 2 9648 0946 | E: support@tc.com.au"

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779877

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 19:50

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 19:50
Thanks for the correction Stephen.

I was '2' enthusiastic.

Appreciate your links and instructions.

I wonder how we get this matter out to all subscribers.

Have poked Inmarsat.
FollowupID: 779882

Reply By: toffytrailertrash - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 11:00

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 11:00
Mine froze at 99% but works ok. Thanks very much, I to much check more often for upgrades. I think that as such an important tool for travellers it seems quite easy to overlook the maintenance on it.

Cheers
Merv
AnswerID: 503198

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 11:27

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 11:27
It's disappointing that owners haven't been notified as some folk are going to find their phone won't work after June 30.

I only came across a ref. to a firmware upgrade on one Aussie retailer's site and I looked at quite a few (checking out call costs), and even that notice was only about the 'personal alert' addition, not a mandatory system upgrade.
FollowupID: 779849

Reply By: Member - Cozzie Toodyay (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 13:20

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 13:20
Hey Sigmund thanks for the heads up.

Cozzie
AnswerID: 503211

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 20:08

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 20:08
Happy to help.

It's potentially a life and death matter after June.
FollowupID: 779885

Reply By: muffin man - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 22:07

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 22:07
It is absolutely mind boggling that you were not contacted regarding this
by "someone "
Anyway I suppose in 6 months we'll be reading posts about Isatphones no longer working and if anyone knows why.
MM
AnswerID: 503249

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 11:04

Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 11:04
I am also thanking you Sigmund and Stephen for bringing this to my attention. My upgrade was more like an hour as there was some communication problem between the phone and laptop initially. All good now though and it beggars belief that we should not have been advised! I know of two others that have this phone and have emailed them - so I suppose the message is getting out there.

Once again thanks to you both.

Kind regards

Theo
AnswerID: 503342

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 11:17

Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 11:17
Just in terms of the info trail:

1. Trevor at myswag.org says that retailers would have been notified and it is up to them to notify their customers. (Welll, mine went bust a while ago).

2. The upgrade was announced on the Inmarsat FB page and of course on their website.

On the FB page I posted a query as to why there hadn't been targeted notifications and there's been no reply.
AnswerID: 503343

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 22:10

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 22:10
Still no reply.

And on reflection, Inmarsat must have all our numbers as they manage the network, not the retailers.

Think this may end in tears, or worse.
FollowupID: 780333

Reply By: Members - Bow & Nan - Sunday, Jan 27, 2013 at 10:55

Sunday, Jan 27, 2013 at 10:55
If your dealer has not sent you a email like this it could be time to change dealers.

Inmarsat is also about to release a firmware upgrade for Isatphone. All the Isatphones need to be upgraded to the latest version latest by 30th June, 2013. After this date, you will not be able to use the phone unless the firmware upgrade is performed.
We will contact you again, once the firmware upgrade is released
We will send you instructions on how to perform the upgrade yourself.
If you have any difficulty in performing the upgrade, we can do this for you. The fee for performing the upgrade is $39 (plus postage)

Please call or email us if you have any questions.

Thanks
Shahid Aziz
One Planet Communications
9, Finchley Ct, Endeavour Hills, VIC 3802.
Mobile: 0404 804480
Fax: 03 8738 8994
AnswerID: 503456

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Sunday, Jan 27, 2013 at 11:15

Sunday, Jan 27, 2013 at 11:15
Good to see someone's on the ball. (But as I said, my retailer's no longer in business).
FollowupID: 780152

Reply By: Morgan Higgs - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 15:04

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 15:04
Important - Latest Notification from Inmarsat UK.

"In recent days, Inmarsat found a problem with units running either firmware version 5.1.0, or 5.2.0 (the latest). Inmarsat has discovered that these two versions of firmware contain an error causing the battery not to charge whilst the phone is switched off. If the battery is allowed to run flat, then it becomes impossible to charge the phone unless a new, pre-charged battery is fitted.

Inmarsat engineers are producing a new version of firmware which will resolve this problem. We anticipate that this will be fully tested and available for release by 8 February 2013.

In the meantime, users should be advised to have the IsatPhone Pro Satellite Phone switched-on during charging and to maintain a full to half charge until their IsatPhone Pro has been upgraded with the new firmware"

If your IsatPhone Pro is running older firmware they will not be affected and you are advised not to perform any upgrades until the new version is released.

The following link is Inmarsat's official website for Firmware downloads,

www.isatphonelive.com

All IsatPhone Pro users should be notified by their service provider when the new version of firmware is available and also how to preform the upgrade. Please insure that your contact details are up to date with your service provider so that you do receive this and future critical notifications. Notifications are usually sent via Email and/or SMS to a mobile phone.

Please feel free to contact me or the MGLSAT team should you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,

Morgan Higgs
Manager - Mining | Construction | Maritime

MGLSAT - Satellite Systems

t. 1300 645 000
e. info@mglsat.com
w. www.mglsat.com
a. Level 13, 200 Queen St, Melbourne VIC 3000
p. PO Box 33246, Melbourne VIC 3004
store. 523 North Road Ormond, VIC 3204

Adventure >> Survival << Professional

Melbourne . Sydney . Brisbane . Adelaide . Perth . London

AnswerID: 503637

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 17:58

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 17:58
Thanks for the post Morgan.

The info. is very welcome. The work isn't but needs must.
FollowupID: 780378

Reply By: Member - Michael K (WA) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 12:33

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 12:33
Hi Sigmund

Need some assistance with Feb 8th V 5.3. upgrade. Followed all procedures to installing the drives and firware upgrade tool. At the point upgrading my IsatPhone, phone is connected to PC, the Start upgrade button doesn't enable and no message to say IsatPhone is connected and ready to upgrade. It seems taht the dcevice driver is not loading. I've reviewed all my steps wanting that final click to say now upgrading but...

Can you offer any direction on this? Much appreciated.
AnswerID: 504461

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 13:15

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 13:15
I'm no expert Michael.

Are you using Win 7? If so have you downloaded the latest drivers?

Next option: uninstall and reinstall the drivers and firmware upgrader while disconnected from the 'net with antivirus s/w disabled.
FollowupID: 781288

Follow Up By: Member - Michael K (WA) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 13:21

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 13:21
Hi Sigmund

I'm using Windows &. Do the latest drivers come via software > USB drivers from the CD.
FollowupID: 781289

Follow Up By: Member - Michael K (WA) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 13:30

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 13:30
d

Do I need to do this upgrade if I purchased my phone prior to September 7?
FollowupID: 781291

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 13:31

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 13:31
Get them here Michael: click
FollowupID: 781292

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 13:32

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 13:32
Yes you do need to do the upgrade as a system change will occur after the end of the year.
FollowupID: 781293

Reply By: Sigmund - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 13:03

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 13:03
Note that you now have til the end of the year to upgrade to V.5.3.0

And the charging bug in 5.1 and 5.2 only applied to handsets made after Sept 7 2012 acc to the Inmarsat support site briefing note.
AnswerID: 504464

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 13:10

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 13:10
Hi Sigmund

I suggest that you contact those who sold you the phone and start jumping up and down at them and not necessarily Inmarsat.

We got the following info. And we were also notified about it back in November. They did my upgrade back then and it just took a minute for them to do it for me.

Its like vehicle recalls. The manufacturer can only contact you if the outlet gives them your info.

Email received in Feb:

Hi Everyone!

As promised, Inmarsat have released the latest firmware that fixes the problems associated with the battery charging. It also includes the same enhancements that relate to a planned network upgrade. Since this issue has been discovered, they have pushed the upgrade deadline from 30th June 2013, to 31st December 2013. Once that date has ticked over, if you have not got the latest firmware, your phone will no longer register on the network.

If you have already done the upgrade (or if I did it on your behalf before the error was announced) it is prudent for you to do it again. The tell-tale sign that you should do the newest upgrade will be if your battery will not charge when the phone is OFF. Only some handsets were affected ... but it is hard to tell which phones were in the affected batches ... so it is prudent to do the latest update.

The latest information from Inmarsat regarding this upgrade is available here in the Inmarsat Briefing Note. Its a good read. You may also discover you do not need to do the upgrade, but please do have a look at the file!

So, this is the process in a nutshell:

End of email.

All personal info, names and addresses have been removed and all the rest of the actual upgrade process detail has been removed. Your supplier should have their own.

Phil
AnswerID: 504465

Reply By: Sigmund - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 15:24

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 15:24
I have to say now that having done 3 firmware upgrades this s/w and process rates as the buggiest I've ever used and that's saying something.

None of the upgrades worked first time or as advertised. Today I was working on V.5.3.0 and it took an hour and a half.

The XP system installed the drivers successfully but when the phone was connected the system said it found new hardware. This was repeated twice despite a complete uninstall and reinstall of drivers and upgrader and registry clean, and one system restore.

Finally the system recognised the device.

Then when the upgrader s/w ran, the system said it had found new hardware (again) and the process hung. Eventually upgrader advised trying again by disconnecting and restarting the phone. But the phone had hung on the firmware upgrade screen and the battery had to be removed and reinstalled to restart it.

Then I had a go using the laptop with Win7. The driver s/w package installed OK then when the phone was connected the system automatically installed drivers offering no option to select them as per instructions. But the firmware upgrader worked.
AnswerID: 504739

Sponsored Links