high country this weekend

was planing to do haunted stream to dargo this saturday & stay another night in dargo area from what i can tell fires are in licola & hotham but heading north does any one think this is a good or bad idea thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 22:00

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 22:00
I live near Walhalla & after seeing how far the fire travelled last Thursday night, I would say bad idea. The fire travelled from the Donnelly Creek area to Glenmaggie/Seaton in a few hours, I spent last Friday helping a friend defend his property on Coongulla.

AnswerID: 503166

Follow Up By: Great Divide Tours - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 22:28

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 22:28
A large area of the Alpine NP is closed including Talbotville through to Wonnanagtta so I would check the Parks Victoria website before going anywhere near the High Country this weekend, and another fire has just been detected near Harrietville too!
FollowupID: 779818

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 23:59

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 23:59
No way Hose A, says the fireman.
AnswerID: 503175

Reply By: patrolmann - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 11:37

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 11:37
Sorry to hijack your post but I was supposed to do the high country in dec/Jan this yeah but due to emergency I had to pull out of trip.
Have rebooked holidays for 16th Feb so what do you think about going into Mansfield, and Dargo then ? Unfortunately I will be on my own as the others did the original trip we planned.
I was hoping to meet up with some others who are doing tracks and perhaps follow them on tracks

Cheers
Patrolman
AnswerID: 503206

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 22:59

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 22:59
You will need to check current weather & fire conditions just before you do your trip. Impossible to tell this far out. Until there is extensive rain the fire danger will remain Very High for some time.
Cheers Craig..............
FollowupID: 779908

Reply By: drewhoo - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 13:03

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 13:03
I'm heading out there 2nd February - looking at this site everywhere looks closed at the moment.... Closures: Vic Parks

I guess alot can change between now and then? Or should I start doing some serious backup planning?
AnswerID: 503208

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 22:23

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 22:23
Your link Drew is to the "Code Red" parks closures & not the areas that are currently closed. At the moment an area about 50km around the 2 main High Country Fires at Heyfield & Harriateville are closed. I'd be looking for alternatives as until they get heavy rain & a cool change the fire danger will remain high.
Cheers Craig..........
FollowupID: 779898

Reply By: Member - john y - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 16:06

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 16:06
Any proposed trips to the high country in the next couple of weeks should be immediately canned. There is a real chance that the Heyfield /Licola fire could travel towards the Dargo area if the current weather predictions are correct.The fire is intense and the spotting of additional fires ahead of the main blaze due to airborne embers is a distinct possibility. It is to be avoided at all costs.

Similarily a new out of control blaze at Harrietville has been reported and warnings have been issued for the areas south east of Harrietville including Hotham etc.
Be aware that radio reception in most of the High Country is not reliable,you would be on your own.
The Authorities facing these disasters don't need any further problems .
For up to date fire info go to www.cfa.vic .gov .au
Regardsjohn y
I will go anywhere as long as it's forward

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 503219

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 22:51

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 22:51
Any trip to the High Country at the moment should only be around the fringes well clear of the 2 main blazes that are active. You would need to be able to get regular fire & weather updates & be based in a location with multiple exits should a new fire start. The Haunted Stream for example is a deep valley where you would have no idea a fire was approaching until it was on you with no heli pads or clearings for miles.
The fact you are asking this question indicates you wont know where to go if faced with a new fire so yes Bad Idea.
Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 503257

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 12:30

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 12:30
I don't think I would be as pesimistic as some of the replies above Putrol.

Obviously one wouldn't make a descision until after the hot day today and the affects of friday mornings change.

Just looking at the facts the area your to travel in is Omeo area and to west and the forecast for sat sun mon is average temp of 24 and likelyhood of showers on each day.
The area is a long way from current fire areas which is why its not closed.

Generaly closures are overprotective to the point of losing there credibility so if they are not closed as you head off then you can be pretty safe.

On the basis I certainly wouldn't be changing my plans - although I would be carrying my chains as its a steep valley and if it rains can get slippy, and I wouldn't go there without a means of clearing trees from track.

Common sense - check latest before you go, and have an ability to get info while on the road and everything will be fine.

HF or Telstra satphones are good for that area.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 503284

Sponsored Links