Washpool National Park

Considering a visit to Washpool National Park during April 2013 School Holidays, travelling from Sydney with a large group, 5 families of 4.

We normally stay away for 4-5 nights maybe 6 depending on where we go.

Would like to know how much there is to see and do. Pitures make it looks very pretty.

Have noticed Gibraltar N.P is across the way, would this be worth a visit?

We are a group that likes to have a few walks and don't mind a challenge.

From Sydney, would we be best driving to Park in one day or breaking the trip up? looks like it's about 71/2 to 8 hrs away. We have driven this far in a day before.

If anyone has any suggestions on anything/places worth a stop on the way either from Sydney or on the way home, would be appriesiated.

Thanks
Kylz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 14:29

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 14:29
Kylz I have done the 4 day( can be done quicker) circle walk of the two parks in March a couple of years ago. The two parks are right next to each other but have completely different eco systems based on geology (soil) and lesser extent rainfall. The main camp () site has a large swimable creek, though I found the water quite cool in mid-late March, and there were leeches galore in the creek and adjacent flat, but not 100m further up in Mulligans. I would definitely be booking soon if I was going.

The Gibraltar Range is typical of New England granite country, where as the NP is sub tropical rainforest. Gibraltar in places has wonderful views of steep valleys and gorges running north. With a car shuffle, you could easily break the walks up (car at each end) after establishing with the ranger what takes your interest.

On their own, 6 days may be a bit long, but it's not far down the hill to the Nymboida region which is a canoeists haven, quite different again. It is really up to how much the kids are happy to walk and how happy they are to play amongst themselves. I know families who have gone there for Easter and had a ball, but your kids may be different and be bored.
There are lots to see around Coffs Harbour on the way up, the Dorrigo-Bellingen areas are real gems.
AnswerID: 503289

Follow Up By: Kylie 1 - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 11:49

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 11:49
Thanks Mark,

Your info was very helpful. Was surprised you need to book, will follow that up with a call to the park soon.

I have put the vote forward to our group and they are keen for a look at Washpool Nat Park.

So we will be off up there in April. We think we should be able to do the drive up there in (1) day. Perhaps on the way back we will do a over night stop, any suggestions?

Thanks
Kylz

FollowupID: 780203

Reply By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 18:40

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 18:40
Hi Kylie 1
I take my class on an excursion to that area every two years, there is plenty to do. Check out Washpool, Gibralter then have a look at Boundary creek falls and Raspberry lookout all within about 5-10 ks of each other. You can swim at Washpool and Gibralter go walking down the creek at boundary creek falls. You can go for a drive into Glenn Innes if you want to. But I feel there is plent to do
barb
AnswerID: 503301

Follow Up By: Kylie 1 - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 11:55

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 11:55
Thanks Barb

You make Washpool sound exactly what our group likes, a bit of relaxing with a walk to do each day.

I'm interested to have a look around Glen Innes. We will be driving from Sydney to Washpool hopefully in one day. Thinking we will need a stop over on the way back if you have any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you
Kylz
FollowupID: 780205

Sponsored Links