Road from Prairie Downs (WA)

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 21:16
ThreadID: 100169 Views:3002 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
My Hema maps show a track heading north from Prairie Downs homestead (SW of Newman) up into the Opthalmia Range towards Giles Point. From there it appears that one can keep heading north to the Gt Northern Hwy, or turn east onto a track/road that runs directly into Newman.
Anybody out there who has travelled these tracks or knows anything about their condition? I'm planning on towing a Pioneer off-road camper.
Any input greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 21:34

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 21:34
Hi Denis,

Did that one in 2009.

I wrote a brief write up in forum thread 67463: HERE

It may be a bit harder to get through on the western track with all the mining activity these days. Member Joe F may have updated info.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503308

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 10:52

Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 10:52
It's a very good track from memory. But on the track that cuts across from a bit west of Mt Giles had termite mounds very close to the edge of the track and some in th enormal wheel tracks so if using that track be carefull. Some nice scenery through there as well.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 779981

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 13:07

Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 13:07
G'day Denis

The road/track system through Prairie Downs and onto and through Turee Creek Station is generally a very good road ~ it is maintained by the station owners, so in essence a private road so I would suggest you contact the stations prior to your travel date.

The road/track has several major creek crossings and most of the time these crossings are dry, but the region you are wanting to travel through is the upper catchment of the Fortescue River, flooding of the area is common.

Several mining ventures are also plundering the region, so there may be issues with these operations, the main one being Rio Tinto and their "Mini Giles" lease, the road from Giles Point to the Great Northern Highway, is mine use only ~ no public access!

Today 25/1/2013 ~ it's raining and it had rained quite heavily throughout the night.
21 mil in the gauge, but thats my unofficial back yard weather station.

Prairie Downs ~ 08 9175 7016
Turee Creek station ~ 08 9175 7015

Safe travels :
AnswerID: 503357

Reply By: Member - Denis B (WA) - Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 16:29

Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 16:29
Thanks for your input guys.
I'm not planning to travel until the second half of April so hopefully the rain won't be an issue then...but it seems as if the mining companies might scuttle my plans!

I can understand why they don't want anybody close to an actual mining operation, but it seems a shame to shut us out of interesting country where they are simply running around exploring!!

Thanks again
AnswerID: 503379

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Saturday, Jan 26, 2013 at 12:30

Saturday, Jan 26, 2013 at 12:30
G'day Denis.

The mining industry can and does do some very strange things, sadly its all backed by the government and the general public is none the wiser.

Safe travels :
FollowupID: 780081

Sponsored Links