Mitsubishi pajero 4wd and Concept Belmont Caravan

Submitted: Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 00:55
ThreadID: 100215 Views:5340 Replies:9 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently purchased this vehicle and have on order a 19'6' van to be picked up in July2013.
We are new to Caravanning and I would like help in what should be on or in the 4wd before we start to travel and any suggestions in what we need for the Caravan.
for example should I get a bull bar or cb etc .
We plan to do a few short trips initially in July and then travel to WA via NSW,Vic and SA
Thank you for your assistance it is greatly appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: NTVRX - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 09:15

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 09:15
Hi Ian, What year is your Pajero? If it's a late model be aware of your towing weights & ball weight on towbar. I have a 2009 Nt VRX auto diesel. Although the Paj can tow 3 tonne there is a significant towball weight difference once you exceed 2500kg. At 2500kg your ball weight is 250kg....anything over that ball weight drops to 180kg. Does your rear door (when opened) hit the tow hitch....try it & see it's a common problem with Pajero but easily fixed with a spare wheel lift done by the dealer (usually for free)....if that doesn't allow the rear door to be opened to your satisfaction you may have to modify your tow hitch on van. Have you got WDH? If not that device is a necessity. I assume you have an electric brake system fitted like a Tekonsha.Suspension wise I would look at how the van sits behind the vehicle....you may need air bags fitted or some aftermarket shocks & spring. I tow a 22' Van and have Polyairs fitted,ARB OME suspension (Rear shocks are progressive or load sharing) I fitted a cargo barrier,GME UHF,ARB Deluxe Bull Bar with fog lights & driving lights also have a 4G stick phone antenna with cable into car to plug into back of phone (hardly ever NOT have phone reception) I also have a 60 ltr Auxillary fuel tank fitted by LRA. Light truck tyres fitted to van & vehicle. There are other things I could mention but a good idea for you would be to visit the pajero Club of Victoria website. Like members on this forum,they are very helpful & full of ideas & experiences to pass on. Good luck with your new van & the Pajero. Robert.
AnswerID: 503491

Follow Up By: Member - Ian G4 - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 00:05

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 00:05
Hi Robert,
My apologies for not acknowledging you earlier I have no excuse ,just overlooked replying, thank you for your suggestion’s and advice, I now have something to work with.
our pajero is the 2012 Exceed nw, I was aware of the ball weight varying when the weight exceed 2500kg.
I have visited the Pajero Cub of Victoria.
Thank you again
Ian
FollowupID: 782344

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 09:16

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 09:16
Gedday mate,

If I was you I'd join one of the caravan clubs, Most of them you can join while you're waiting for delivery of the van.

List of NSW Van Clubs

Heaps of knowledge in the clubs.

UHF Radio is handy. Bull bar unnecessary, but some like em. Decent 12 volt power supply to the van from the car. Most of us use "Anderson" type plugs. Your dealer should be able to advise on this.

If you're planning to charge the van batteries from the tow vehicle, you'll need an auto electricians advice on wire sizes etc.

Decent stone guards between the van and the tow vehicle. If you plan to carry "Stuff" in the back of the paj, a decent luggage guard behind the back seat to stop stuff flying through the air in the event of a prang.
AnswerID: 503492

Follow Up By: Member - Ian G4 - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 00:11

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 00:11
Hi Notso,
My apologies for not acknowledging you earlier I have no excuse ,just overlooked replying, thank you for your suggestion’s and advice, I now have something to work with.
Thank you.
Regards
Ian
FollowupID: 782345

Reply By: toffytrailertrash - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 09:17

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 09:17
Two very important items immediately come to mind....

Electric trailer brake controller and if you need power to your fridge in the van, batteries if you have them, an Anderson plug to power said items. A weight distribution hitch for level towing. The rest can come over time.

Welcome to the world of caravans and a world of learning this nomadic life.

Cheers

Merv
AnswerID: 503493

Follow Up By: Member - Ian G4 - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 00:13

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 00:13
Hi Merv,
Thank You
Regards
Ian
FollowupID: 782346

Reply By: Member - Ian W1 (QLD) - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 09:18

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 09:18
Hi Ian, wow, where to start! Will you be travelling alone or with other vehicles? So much will depend on the type of roads you will be travelling, your experience in 4WDriving (which will be so different when towing a van), how 'remote' you will be going etc etc. Assuming (rightly or wrongly) that you are totally new to 4WDriving as well as towing, its a good idea to start with a few shorter trips as this will help in deciding what you will and won't need on a longer trip eg how to pack the van correctly so it's balanced. Get a feel for what it's like with a heavy weight behind your vehicle. A good set of towing mirrors are a must; I would also recommend a new 80 channel UHF, a good 1st aid kit (plus the knowledge of how to use it, so 1st aid course would help. Again, depending on where you travel, a set of recovery tools eg snatch strap, long handle shovel, spare parts for tug and van. Personally, I prefer a good steel bullbar as I've hit a few roos with no damage to the vehicle, but I'm sure you'll get varying opinions on this. There are many other 'must have's' and even more 'nice to have's' depending on budget! I'm also sure others will give you more ideas too. All the best on your travels and enjoy the country. Cheers, Ian W
AnswerID: 503494

Follow Up By: Member - Ian G4 - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 11:54

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 11:54
Hi Ian W,
My apologies for not acknowledging you earlier I have no excuse ,just overlooked replying, thank you for your suggestion’s and advice.
We are travelling alone,staying on the bitumen only going off road if and when needed.
Good tip about shorter trips to work out loading,what to take etc. and of course what it is like with a heavy weight behind the car.
Can you recommend a set of towing mirrors?
Do you think we would need recovery gear when 99% will be on the tar?
Thank you for your advice and ideas.
Regards
Ian G4
FollowupID: 782366

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 09:34

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 09:34
The simply answer is put on as much or as little as you want, every one has different needs and wants........ and then you get some who must have to have everything to look cool.

Must have....
Cargo barrier.
First aid training.
Comprehensive first aid kit (with extra stuff you don't usually have in a first aid kit).
1.5-2Kg fire extinguisher.
Quality vehicle mounted UHF radio.
Quality battery jumper leads.
Tow rope.
Snatch strap.
Equalising strap.
Associated shackles to suit recovery gear.
Basic hand tools.
Spare shackles for chains on caravan.
Spare wheel nut for car and van.
Spare fuses.
assorted electrical terminals.
Cloth tape (100mp/h, duck, duct tape).
Electrical insulation tape.
Cable ties (big and small).
Tyre pressure gauge.
Trailer plug and socket.
400mm X 400mm X 6mm thick aluminium jacking plate.

Should also have.....
Air compressor.
Tyre plug kit.
2 X good quality torches.
Spare battery's for the torchers and headlights.
Handheld LED worklight.
Head lights to wear on your head.
Wide brimmed hats.
Ratchet tie down straps.

Might be a good idea.....
Steel bull bar.
Quality driving lights.
Aux battery.
Compressor fridge.
Roof rack.
Side car awning.

A long range fuel tank might be worth the money.

Also check to see if you jack can be used on the caravan and the car and make sure you can undo the wheel nuts...... (we carry a 600mm long 1/2 breaker bar with deep sockets to suit) and get your partner to do it as well.

Depending on where your going other gear might be useful.

AnswerID: 503495

Follow Up By: Member - Ian G4 - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 11:59

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 11:59
Hi Olcoolone,
My apologies for not acknowledging you earlier I have no excuse ,just overlooked replying, thank you for your suggestion’s and advice, you give food for thought with you extensive list, We don't want to look cool but just have the basics to have an exciting adventure.
regards
Ian G4
FollowupID: 782367

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 09:52

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 09:52
Hi Ian G4,

Firstly let me say that most will tell you that a bulbar is not essential, however as I live on a country road I consider them essential. Even a small roo can do some major damage.

Also a bull bar will give you something to hang your UHF radio aerial on. UHF radio is another essential for communicating with the truckies so that you can orchestrate an overtaking manouvre. Keeps them happy and keeps you happy. Also it is great in an emergency in case you need assistance, someone is always listening somewhere. There are exceptions I know.

The other thing you may like to think about is Clearview mirrors. These are the extendable mirrors which are fitted in place of the factory units. Those of us that have them swear by them.

As others have said, an Anderson plug at the back of the vehicle and on the front of the van is also a good idea for all sorts of reasons not the least of which is for charging the van batteries as you travel along.

A reverse camera is an extremely helpful device to have as it saves the yelling match when hooking up the van and also gives you a second set of eyes in case the grandkids decide to run behind the vehicle when you are about to reverse. Or anybody else for that matter. 4 wheel drives have a huge blind spot at the back, but then so do many ordinary vehicles.

Solar on the caravan is a brilliant idea. It means you are never without a power source to charge the batteries and you are not tied to a 240 volt power source either. A must for free camping in my opinion. They are getting cheaper in price all the time.
A 200 watt panel can now be had from ebay for just over $230 and a good 20 amp MPPT regulator can be had from ebay also for around $120 Add a bit for fitting and wiring and it will be much more handier than a generator, in my opinion.

There is a bloke running around the caravan shows called Sid Whiting, selling his line of DVDs entitled Grey Nomad 101 and has a series the latest of which is 104.
Here is the link

This will give you a good insight into what you need for your caravan on the road.

Olcoolone makes some good suggestions also although for a beginner a little too comprehensive if you are not intending to stray too far from the blacktop.

That is the best of my good ideas list.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 503496

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 10:05

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 10:05
I should have added that if you intend getting a bullbar then consider a winch compatible bar as the extra cost is negligible when compared to the cost of a complete changeover to a winch bar later on if you decide to go that way.. You never know if you want a winch until you need one. Then they become a priority.

Note that I do not have a winch at this stage but definitely have a winch compatible bullbar, just in case. I keep dreaming about a winch, maybe one day. They are certainly cheap enough these days.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 780197

Follow Up By: Member - Ian G4 - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:18

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:18
Hi Bruce C,
My apologies for not acknowledging you earlier I have no excuse ,just overlooked replying, thank you for your suggestion’s and advice We are looking at present for a steel bull bar but a few places don't have them for a Pajero exceed, yes a winch compatible bar is the way to go, not that I think I need a winch at this stage, it will save a lot of trouble if I get a winch at a later date.
I didn't realise I needed so much gear, I am still trying to take it all in.
Thanks again.
Regards
Ian G4
FollowupID: 782370

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 15:28

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 15:28
Ian,
Just go for the basics at the moment, such as bull bar and UHF radio and the other things can come as you think you need them.

It may be that your requirements are not as great as others. Plenty of people get out there and enjoy the experience with only the very basics. probably have more fun too.

Learn as you go along like most of us did, that is the best way to work out what suits you best.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 782390

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 10:29

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 10:29
Hi Ian,

You ask "what should be on or in the 4wd before we start to travel ", and you will get suggestions for all sorts of hardware. You say "we plan to do..." so Im assuming that there will be at least two people in the vehicle while you are travelling.

From our experience the most essential thing is a competent, capable co-driver, able to drive when towing and if you are off 4wding. Hopefully you already have this covered but if not, please do a 4wd and/or towing course and follow up by consolidating your learning with good on-road experience.

As we speak we have friends recently retired, house sold, doing the big trip in their new van - and he ends up in hospital with a heart attack. She has not driven with the van on. And in our travels we have heard many similar stories. You would not set out without a spare wheel - a co-driver is good travel insurance.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 503497

Follow Up By: Member - Ian G4 - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:25

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:25
Hi John and Val,
My apologies for not acknowledging you earlier I have no excuse ,just overlooked replying, We have a 4 wd but don't plan to go off the bitumen only if requied.Yes I would do one of those courses if we were actually doing all those 4wding .
Thank you again.
regards
Ian G4
FollowupID: 782372

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 11:52

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 11:52
Ian

Before you start preparing a shopping list from all the above great suggestions, you have to ask yourself what type of driving will I be doing?

Your idea of heaven may be sticking to the coastal highways driving between 9AM and 3PM, pulling into a powered site each night. If it is, then you don't actually need anything, you are right to go (assuming you have the brakes covered).

Good ideas though would be a 1st aid kit, suspension upgrade (not a lift), Premium RACQ cover, a 3 or 5W hand held UHF (cheaper) and the auto electric upgrade when you install the brake controller.
No need to WASTE your money on anything else, especially a bull bar & driving lights. I have a bull bar & lights on my Pajero, but I do a reasonable amount of driving at night in roo country.

As your 4WD demands go up, then yes go for all the above options in line with what you actually are doing, don't buy it just because "Mr 4WD does" or a magazine "reckons they are great".
AnswerID: 503504

Follow Up By: Member - Ian G4 - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:29

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:29
Hi Mark,
My apologies for not acknowledging you earlier I have no excuse ,just overlooked replying, thank you for your suggestion’s and advice.
We will be tavelling on the bitumen majority of the time and will only go off road if and when required.
Thank you again
Regards
Ian G4
FollowupID: 782374

Reply By: mick m4 - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 16:26

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 16:26
hi Ian I have two friends who own 2006 pajero's and tow 20 ft. vans and both have had circlips pop off the rear axle's inside the diff. One had it repaired in 2011 by mitsubishi no
charge. the other bloke repaired in 2012 and was charged by mitsubishi.Apparently if you
fit air bags inside the rear coils you dont have the problem. regards mickm4
AnswerID: 503515

Follow Up By: Member - Ian G4 - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:32

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:32
Hi Mick m4,
My apologies for not acknowledging you earlier I have no excuse ,just overlooked replying, thank you for your and advice about the circlips, I will keep my eye on them.
Thank you again.
Ian g4
FollowupID: 782375

Sponsored Links