Is the distance too great

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 20:32
ThreadID: 100268 Views:2463 Replies:2 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Just a quick question for the travelling Queenslander, and any body else who may have information that is pertinent. I am driving across from Perth in June this year I have most of the track worked out for the run across coming back is not an issue as we will have two or three weeks to do it in. the question is could I make Brisbane in three days from Winton and any suggested quick routes would be appreciated. The trip going across is a cannon ball run as time will be critical, leaving Perth on the 20/6/13 to be in brisbane to pick up the wife and grand kids on the 27th. thank you for your responses.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 20:40

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 20:40
Broodie,
You can do that run easily in two days. In fact a day and a half would be ok. Go Winton-Barcaldine-Blackall-Mitchell then straight through to Brisbane. Good roads and you can maintain 100 easily except for towns.

Have a good trip.
RA.
AnswerID: 503672

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 20:51

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 20:51
Thanks for the info Rockape, so my seven days from perth should be fine allowing one day for break down, or any other emergency. thank you
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 780412

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 21:07

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 21:07
Rockape is on the money, provided there are no more storms and road damage. Roads to the north and west of Brisbane are not good at the moment so speeds depends on road repairs, some roads are still being repaired after the 2011 floods.
FollowupID: 780415

Follow Up By: Rockape - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 21:48

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 21:48
Mate,
just a little friendly advise. You are travelling close to the end of the month. This normally means in Qld that there will be more police vehicles out there in the middle of nowhere, getting their monthly quota up.

In Qld 109 in 100 is normally ok with just the flash of the police vehicles headlights to tell you, you are sailing close to the wind. They allow some leeway, over that it costs.

RA.
FollowupID: 780419

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 23:17

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 23:17
Broodie,

Would endorse RA's and Rod's comments. With ongoing roadworks on the Warrego H'way, be prepared for odd delay too. Stop-n-go's and those bloody traffic lights on trailers, can cut into your travel time as well.

Also it's 110 kmh from Winton, down to at least Mitchell, I think, so you would make up some time there.

From Longreach down, the roos are pretty thick, so night driving ccan be........err, damaging at times.

Safe trip,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 780425

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 07:51

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 07:51
Hey RA. Put your laughing hat on. I read what he posted as "Wiluna" because I had just been following a possible trip down the Canning to Wiluna and eastward home.

I thought it was a stupid suggestion "one" day and everyone was basically saying the same. I couldn't figure it out.

Then the penny dropped. A bloody big penny. I feel good now. Woke up with a laugh.

Winiton to Brissy, easy in one day.

Phil
FollowupID: 780435

Follow Up By: Rockape - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 08:07

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 08:07
Phil,
stop drinking and find your glasses. Ha.Ha.

Have a good one,
RA.
FollowupID: 780438

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:31

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:31
Thank you for the info and suggestions fellas,and warning about travelling wildlife at night I am not looking at doing too much night travel,as I don't realy have any interest in damage to the vehicle, but the road conditions I shall have to check out as we go. with my previous experience I know road conditions can change overnight. now all I have to do is work out one more overnighter between Winton, and Brisbane. thank you all very much for your input.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 780442

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 16:07

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 16:07
Barcaldine -Longreach - Winton ,roos are in plague proportions as are emu ,, Winton to Roma is a good daylight drive , watch for mr. plod round Augathella ,, if you plan to overnight in Roma ,you need to book well in advance , mining co's have the place booked out and near impossible to score a bed on sale[yard] days , nigh on impossible to get a bed inbetween Roma and Toowoomba due to mining co's,,
FollowupID: 780457

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 17:21

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 17:21
We are planning to tent the overnight stops, do you know of any good free camping spots around Roma, as it may turn out to be our return trip camp site too. From what I have read from the previous replies it seems to me that the police haven't changed in any state for years with their patrol habits, also from the comments I gather the miners over there are the same as over here, book everything and hold it in case we need it we have the same problem in Hedland and Karratha, over here. thanks Alloy
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 780459

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 17:34

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 17:34
Don't know about "free" in Roma but the Big Rig c/van park is reasonable , still requires booking ahead even for a tent site ,,,
FollowupID: 780460

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 18:04

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 18:04
Any camp-sites out of town in that area that you know of, it is my last piece of my trip planing that I need I Hope l o l
Broodie
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 780464

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 20:27

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 20:27
G`day Broodie H3,
Buy, borrow or steal a copy of Camps Australia Wide, it will show you all the free/cheap camp spots Aussie wide.
About 40k east of Roma the Wallumbilla Show Grounds have Toilets,Showers and power and if you sniff around you might find a horse stable or shed that might save using the tent, and I think it`s free. LOL ( Ph 07 46235155)

Stay safe.

Scrubby.
AnswerID: 503733

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 00:05

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 00:05
Hi Scrubby, you appear to be a man after my own heart , I have slept in many stables and other places that didn't smell to good but at least they were dry and warm lol, then you get married and all those places that you thought were good for a night suddenly turn into tents and caravans and three to five star Hotels, must admit I have enjoyed the journey so far after forty years ya can't complain, Camps Australia never even gave it a thought, thanks Scrubby.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 780500

Sponsored Links