Trouble with a canopy lock on a trailer.

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 17:40
ThreadID: 100285 Views:2241 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I've got a trailer with a canopy that has four recessed locks with folding handles.

My problem is that one of the handles is so tight to unfold it takes two hands and a lot of strength, (something I lack these days), to open and close.

It looks like a fairly standard type lock with a locking lever sitting between 2 nuts on a threaded bolt connected to the handle, turn the handle and the lever turns etc.

When turning the handle it feels like its binding.

There is a piece that looks like a washer with spokes just above the top nut and hard up against the bottom of the recessed bit below the handle, but when I tap it with a punch and hammer it turns but does not loosen.

If anyone can understand the above and can tell me how to loosen the handle I would really appreciate it.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 18:22

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 18:22
Boo Boo,

Is it like this one?

Is it also tight when you've opened the door? Reckon a dose of "snake's pee"(WD-40, or CRC) would do the trick.

If it's only tight when you lock the canopy, then it may need some lubricant on the striker. Such as a teflon grease.

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503720

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 18:31

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 18:31
Bob

Thats the one.

It's tight when I've got the door open and try and close, or lift the handle.

I'll give it the good oil tomorrow morning.

Thank you.

Bob
FollowupID: 780467

Reply By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 19:44

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 19:44
Thanks Bob

My wife and I are leaving Narooma and heading up to Sydney on Saturday, then off to Melbourne Sunday.

I wanted the trailer to be trouble free. Sooo, I couldn't help myself, I went out to the trailer and sprayed the lock and hey presto it worked.

Again, I thank you.

Bob
AnswerID: 503729

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 20:00

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 20:00
Pleased it is fixed.

I use Lanotec, made from sheep Lanolin which comes in a hand spray bottle, Silicone pressure can spray or on a stick, or WD40 dependent on situation.

I find a spray can of brake cleaner also comes in handy to get rid of build up of gunk.

Tim
AnswerID: 503732

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 20:09

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 20:09
Thanks Tim

The brake cleaner will come in handy on our tripping around.

FollowupID: 780474

Sponsored Links