Bourke - The safety issue

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 20:34
ThreadID: 100324 Views:4317 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
How safe are you in Bourke? is a question which comes up frequently on the Forum.

Unfortunately statistics show the answer is "Not Very", here is an article from the SMH today outlaying the problems.

Bourke - Crying out for a new beginning

I don't know the answers but throwing $$$ at the problem doesn't seem to be working.

Mods......If you deem this OT please delete.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: miandering fiander - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 21:20

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 21:20
I think that you could say the same about Sydney, seems almost every night on the News that there is a shooting somewhere.
I would be careful anywhere you went. Lock up valuables and your vehicle.
The photos could have been set up , ie got the children with parents permission and put them in those places at that time.
Most news stories are only 1 sided and I bet you would not go to the war torn areas of the middle east and feel safer there. Quite a silly statement to make that Bourke is the worst in the world.
I am not saying that Bourke has not got its fair share of problems but so do a lot of other towns and cities around this country.
AnswerID: 503890

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 10:37

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 10:37
I would have said the same before I read that news article.Bourke population around 3000 and has a crime rate of 2853 per 1000,000 head of population with 88 victims. Yet Sydney with a population of millions has a crime rate of 2041 per 1000,000 head of population with 3746 victims. That says enough for me. I know that statistics can be tilted but that is one hell of a tilt. We have been there a few times in transit and after driving through on the first night I wouldn't stay there. We stayed at North Bourke. Just a few Kms up the road but it felt much safer.

I feel for all there and only wonder at what can be done. It's a sore state of affairs. Most of the youth have nothing to do. A bloody shame.

Phil
FollowupID: 780690

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 21:44

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 21:44
Lyn, I have stayed in caravan parks there and felt quite safe. I think there is only a potential problem if you free camp araoud the town area. And isn't one of the basic safety rules of free camping to camp well away from towns?
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503892

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 23:57

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 23:57
Its not the kids fault and there is no solution – it’s a fact of life.
Travel through any outback town and you will see shutters and bars all over the place to protect against theft and vandalism.
The solution is politically incorrect and mentioning it on a forum like this is likely to trigger the Thought Police into moderating the thread.
AnswerID: 503902

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 11:17

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 11:17
Gday,
Its certainly not on its own......Alice Springs was classed as the second murder capital of the world for years and its just been getting worse.
There is no simple solution, but as long as jail isnt a punnishment and welfare supplies grog and drugs it will continue to get worse.

Cheers
AnswerID: 503935

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 12:25

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 12:25
Hairy – that’s politically incorrect.
Everyone on welfare has a right to drugs and alcohol.
Next you’ll be saying they should be made to work for the dole – wash your mouth out before you get moderated!
FollowupID: 780701

Reply By: Tim - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:04

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:04
There are solutions to this problem and other problem towns as well. As touched on earlier, the solution is not what the do-gooders want to hear. There is also so much more to this news article but it obviously doesn't make the same headlines when it is a balanced article.

Responsibility and accountability are words some communities simply have no grasp of.
Tim
AnswerID: 503960

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 15:26

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 15:26
You are right Tim.
FollowupID: 780732

Reply By: Andrew & Jen - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 15:59

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 15:59
Hullo Lyn W3
We were in Bourke a few months ago and enjoyed ourselves very much - the new Back O'Bourke exhibition centre is excellent (needs at least half a day), the town is full of history and ALL the locals we spoke with were helpful. At no time did we feel unsafe as we toured and walked around during the day.
Sure, at night the shutters went up in the main street, as they do in many an outback town, but I was told that the localised problems were due to a small minority of (mainly) youths.
We stayed at the Kidmans CP at North Bourke for 3 days and did not hear anyone expressing concerns about their safety in town.
I also went to Brewarrina later on a separate trip and did not have any issues in that town either. When I discussed this with the people in the information centre, they said that some time ago the leaders of both main groups in the town (B&W) had earlier got together to solve some issues, that they now had generally good working relationships and had adopted a policy that troublemakes of any persuasion got one warning, with the knowledge that if they transgressed again, they would be run out of town. That does not mean everything is sweetness and light but by and large, it seems to have worked!
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 503978

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 19:31

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 19:31
It is a shame cause Bourke is a great town. Its time to call a spade a spade and treat people the same no matter their skin colour. If someone does a crime (no matter their age) punish them and make them suffer enough to think about it. If they do it twice get em off the streets cause they obviously dont have the brains to function as a normal human being

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 504001

Sponsored Links