Connie Sue Hwy

Hi all, my wife and I are planning to travel the Connie Sue in May this year. We are starting from central Victoria, heading towards Warburton, down to Cocklebiddy then back to Central Vic over about 20 days. We have a 2006 GU Patrol with an Adventure Tray on Camper on the back. I do plan to hire a Sat phone for an as well as carry an eperb. We would appreciate any little tips, advise or little hidden treasures for us to find and enjoy. I have been looking in the Trek notes ect on this site which have been most interesting and that is where the interest started.
Looking forward to the feedback.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 15:46

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 15:46
Hi Brendan,

We drove the Connie Sue between Warburton and Neale Junction over 2 days last winter. Good drive and the graders have since been through. Have a look at the link here to a blog that we wrote about it.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 504196

Follow Up By: Brendan M - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 16:07

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 16:07
Thanks Val ! great read.
FollowupID: 780996

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 17:11

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 17:11
A great trip and one you'll enjoy immensly. I did the trip in my GU wagon. Tis a little rocky and slow in the section north from Rawlinna and the corrugations for the 30 odd km between/around the Parallel Roads in the northern sections but other than that, a fantastic drive.Blogs cover it and there is a bit of video there to give you a taste as well.

Connie Sue - Heading down towards Neale Junction

Connie Sue - Neale Junction and South

Connie Sue - Premier Downs south to Rawlinna, Haigh and Cocklebiddy

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 504203

Follow Up By: Brendan M - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 20:12

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 20:12
Thanks great stuff. It come come quick enough.
FollowupID: 781009

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 20:33

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 20:33
Hi Brendan

The Connie Sue is a very under rated drive and for some strange reason, does not attract the same number of visitors that head for many of Len's famous tracks. You will have all type of driving conditions, so it will be a matter of driving them to suit you.

The only real sign that you will encounter after leaving Warburton is in an old 44 gallon drum, so if you are not looking for it, you will miss it quite easy. For this reason, it would help you greatly if you had a moving map (e.g. Ozi), as many of the great sites that lead off of the Connie Sue, are just two wheel track of no indication where they will take you. Two very good examples of this are Hennings Tank and Neale Breakaway.

Do as much research as you can, as there is a lot to see and some things are very easy to miss if you do not know that they are there or what you are looking for. You will have full Telstra NextG phone coverage at Rawlinna, so you will be able to catch up on family and friends when you arrive there. You will have to head west a couple of kilometres and keep an eye out for a gate (copy of photo below) on your left, and they just follow the green arrows as far as the dog fence, and from there in a general south direction. It is a slow drive, but has its own type of beauty. If you intend yo camp in this section, make sure that you have a small supply of wood, as you will find nothing.

A great drive and you will enjoy it greatly.

Here are some images of what you will find along the Connie Sue and then south from Rawlinna to Cocklebiddy.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 504216

Reply By: equinox - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 20:56

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 20:56
Take care when there is water about....

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 504220

Reply By: Sapper D - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 21:22

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 21:22
G,Day Brendan
We are doing something similiar, leaving east Victoria on a 25-30 odd day trip which includes the Connie Sue, after we've done the Anne Beadell----We--( three vehicles)-- should be leaving Warburton about 15-17th May to head south and finish on the Nullabor at Cocklebiddy, then head back across to Vic via Googs track.--we might come across each other at a night camp somewhere.
Cheers.....Sapper D
AnswerID: 504223

Sponsored Links