Cairns

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 11:56
ThreadID: 100464 Views:2313 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone let me know when is the best time to visit Cairns ?? We are not going by 4wd but flying up. Don't want it bleep down rain for a week (cant be predicted I know but don't want the wet season) but also don't want 40c either. Some where around the high 20's to 30's would be nice. I love the heat but wife's not real keen on 30 to 35 plus. I was thinking around may/june this year (we live in Sydney). Also we will be staying in a motel/resort any hints on a good one, there are so many on the net. We will hiring a vehicle up there so we can get around, hopefully a 200 series for a week. Any help would be appreciated, want to book in the next fortnight if possible, this is a surprise holiday for her.........Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 12:29

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 12:29
Rule of thumb for all he tropical regions of Oz - don't go north in months with an 'R' in them.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 504373

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 12:40

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 12:40
That's a good way of saying when to go LOL. So obviously from May to August sounds the go.......Cheers
FollowupID: 781175

Reply By: Pradobob - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 12:47

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 12:47
Cairns gets at least 2 metres of rainfall per year. Statistics show that July, August and Sept produce the least rain. June is probably next least rainfall.
Having said that, those months still have about 40mm.
I've been there twice, mid July, and mid August.... rained both times!! It was also freezing cold and windy. (2010)

Personally, I reckon Darwin is better at that time of the year. Dry as........
Bob

AnswerID: 504376

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 13:12

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 13:12
Sounds like June may be the go. I just hope its not freezing cold though lol, might as well stay at home for that. What are the June temps on average ?? Would it still be warm enough to swim or would the water start to be too cold ?? We have a 4 year old as well so she will want to be swimming along with myself........cheers
FollowupID: 781177

Follow Up By: Pradobob - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 14:29

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 14:29
Try this Kimba10

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/climate/station.jsp?lt=site&lc=31011
FollowupID: 781187

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 14:43

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 14:43
Cheers Bob...
FollowupID: 781190

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 13:28

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 13:28
Hi Kimba10

The weather is one thing that we have no control over. Last year in June we flew up and had a ball. When we booked our trip, they told us that June should be one on the better months to go up there. For 3 solid weeks prior to our trip, the whole of north Queensland received very unseasonal rainfall and it looked like we were going to be washed out. We had rain on the very day that were arrived, and then from the next morining and for the following 2 weeks, the most perfect weather. Here is a link to my Blog about our trip:-

Cairns Blog

Have a great time.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 504378

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 10:27

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 10:27
WOW what a blog, you certainly did some travelling. Our 4 year old would love that Cairns Crocodile Breeding Park, certainly plenty of places to visit, looking forward to it. Thankyou for that, it will give me some thing to work on.......Cheers.....
FollowupID: 781266

Reply By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 14:05

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 14:05
Early September!

I lived in Mossman for 11 years, and that is the best time of year for good weather.
AnswerID: 504385

Follow Up By: Rockape - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 18:31

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 18:31
I agree, light winds, chance of little rain and still cool enough.

RA.
FollowupID: 781217

Reply By: Patrol22 - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 14:09

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 14:09
I lived in Mossman just to the north of Cairns for the first 20 odd years of my life. These days I live on the south coast of NSW but I try to get "home" every other year. My preference is August for the best weather.....and fishing. But I also love the place after some really good rain....especially the rainforests of the Mossman Gorge and north of the Daintree.
AnswerID: 504388

Reply By: cruza25 - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 18:24

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 18:24
Hi Kimba10
We stayed in port Douglas last year.June was just perfect at 28 most days and only one afternoon of showers. Was 20 in the evenings so just nice.

We have booked again for this June.. If you fancy the port try rendezvous resort direct by phone ,,, we got it for 99 dollars a night for a two bed villa

It's only 60 k up the road.

Enjoy .... Cheers mike
AnswerID: 504411

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 22:11

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 22:11
When we had a daughter living in Cairns she sent us tickets for September as the best time.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 504427

Reply By: Smouch - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 01:18

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 01:18
I've lived in Carins for 16 years now and I would say that your first guess is a good one. My favourite time of the year here is around early May. For several reasons, one the humidity has droped out by then. It's just after or on the end of the wet season so most of the creeks and rivers are running but dropping, the place is looking it's best. Temps are moderate to, although still around the the 30deg mark. It's very rare to get a 40 deg day here anytime of the year. In fact there is not that bigger range in temp, only humidity. Another good reason to visit this time of year here is- it's not to busy. Although you do want to miss the school hols if you can. More domestic tourists then. Also the accomodation prices are a little more resonable around this time.
As to a place to stay, perhaps consider or have a look at somthing at Trinity Beach (a northern beachside suburb of Cairns), a few nice little resuturants there, not so commercial as the popular spots, down town Carins or the very nice but expensive Palm Cove but Palm Cove is only 10 minutes away and Carins an easy 25 away.
Where it's at here is the rainforest and Reef. IMO the beaches are brown and windy but Trinitiy offers a little more protection from the elements as well as being a little cooler than Carins city. Easier parking to. Perhaps take a look at the Roydon there or Coral Sands, or Blue Lagoon there is a few others nearby. Prolly all much of a muchness.
As for day trips there is plenty to do around the Atherton Tablelands. Cape Trib is an days drive and if you know where to look there is nice croc safe swimming holes not to far way.
Having said that early May can still bring rain but don't let it put you off. Statically most rain falls at night. The days are generally not to bad. If your going out on the reef for the day it's not so good but I think a short shower or two going to the rainforest can actually enhance the experiance not take away from it.
If you decide to go out to the reef and your here for a couple of weeks keep a local eye on the weather and book when there is little no wind. If the wind is strong it can really take away from the experiance more than the rain.

Hope this helps and remember take half of what you'll think you'll need and twice the amount of cash. We need that up here:)
AnswerID: 504438

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 10:21

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 10:21
Thankyou Smouch, I will look all those places up and check them out. I have no idea what's around the area's so all information is much appreciated. Trying to organize with out the wife knowing and what's also going to be fun for the 4 year old is a bit of a challenge when I don't know the area at all. We went to Singapore in March a few years ago, the heat was ok just the humidity was a killer more for my wife then me so as long as its not as bad as Singapore we'll be write lol........Thankyou for the tips appreciated.....Cheers.......
FollowupID: 781263

Sponsored Links