Darling River Run ??

After two aborted attempts over previous years (due to road flooding)- we are making another go in March.

Recommendations please from others who have done this trip. We will be starting from Bourke and heading South.
What side (West of East) is the best way??
What features, towns, campsites should we not miss??
Aim is to finish that trip at Wentworth, then spend a little while in the Victorian border desert areas.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Wombat
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 14:31

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 14:31
Wombat

Water going down towards the Darling now from Qld and Northern NSW.

We did that run last year. We camped in the NP north of Wilcannia and found it wonderful and quiet beside the river. We were advised in Bourke to go on the East side.

At Wilcannia, after filling up at the BP depot which is a left turn after the bridge, we stayed on the west side to Menindee. Numerous locations to camp beside the beautiful lakes.

Then we camped in the camp ground attached to the Mungo NP. This is must see.

We found the small communities along the river great to visit. Wilcannia has some great buildings to look at but sadly it has problems. A lot of history along the river.

Wentworth was really nice and we stayed in the Caravan Park on the River. There was a lovely Gallery Cafe an easy walk from there.

Use the Tourist Information centres in each town and village and sometimes the locals can tell you other great spots, too.

Enjoy it as we did.

Cheers
DW

AnswerID: 504467

Follow Up By: wombat100 - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 15:21

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 15:21
Thanks DW......and a good vehicle you have also !!! (wink- wink)..

FollowupID: 781295

Reply By: Member - Michael A (ACT) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 14:51

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 14:51
We did the run around xmas and took our time. The road is quite good on the east side, it also seems to be closer to the river. If you want to do it make sure that you stop when you can and have a look around. It actually took us abot 5 days from bourke to menindee. We could have done it in 2 dys but we chose to check out Kinhega, Gundabooka,Paroo-Darling Mungo national parks, Also if you havent been there go have a look at Cobar and the surrounding areas, There is the aboriginal rock art at Grenfell reserve, mine tours and other things in the area.
It pays to do your research, my wife thoroughly enjoyed the trip(even in summer) and learnt a heck of a lot of history into the bargain.

Regards

M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 504469

Reply By: Grant L - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 19:38

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 19:38
Hi wombat,

Just a thought if staying in Bourke you might try "Mays Bend" about 9klm north of nth Bourke past Kidman camp you can't miss the sign only if you like bush camping and don't mind a Yabby or two we love the spot don't tell everyone though
Grant
AnswerID: 504479

Follow Up By: baz&pud (tassie) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 20:11

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 20:11
Found the bend several years age, didn't know anyone else new about it, who told you ?????
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 781309

Follow Up By: Grant L - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 23:48

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 23:48
Hi baz &Pud,

Don't no what the world is coming to thought it was a secret but obviously even taswegens no about it.
To tell you the truth found out about it from an old fella with a swag who whilst listening to a certain radio show one Sunday morning (on his crystal set) told of hearing a fella ring into this radio show complaining bitterly about Haveing to get hundreds of yabbys out of the horses tails which he had just been swimming in the river at Mays Bend.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Regards

Grant
FollowupID: 781337

Reply By: Tim - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 20:54

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 20:54
Just FYI, the Toowomba/QLD flood water is on its way. The expectation is between 7 and 10m at Bourke which is enough to close the road again. I think it is too early for peak predictions yet but it won't be long and the SES will have the info.
Tim
AnswerID: 504491

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 07:39

Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 07:39
The water going down the river now will be terrific for the river and there are no expected road closures along the DRR. Got this from Liz at Trilby Station. Cheers Toni
AnswerID: 504847

Sponsored Links