Mt Crozier Tk & Mt Honeymoon Hut Tk

Submitted: Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 19:02
ThreadID: 100494 Views:2357 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

am going to be out Mildura way early March and thought we might check out the Pink Lakes. I've seen there is the Pink Lakes Trek that you can use to cut through Murray-Sunset National Park meaning we'll see some great sights (including the Pink Lakes themselves) as well as get some 4WD action.

A few quick questions as we are still pretty new to 4WD. Anything major we need to be aware of? I know it's dry and reasonably well driven so it's not brutal but I figured I'd suck up my pride and ask.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 20:48

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 20:48
Phil no 4x4 action on either of those tracks to speak of being just loose sand & possibly a couple of slippery clay pans if wet but otherwise suitable for most soft roaders or novices.
Biggest issue we found last time was the wild bees. They come out & swarm all over you any time you bring food or water out. If it rains in the interum you should be right. Fire risk presently is very high.
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 504538

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 23:05

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 23:05
As Craig has indicated, watch the claypans. Some beautiful country that won't cause you any issues.

Out in the Murray Sunset

Enjoy. I'll be on the river in the Kulkyne at that time myself.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 504548

Reply By: Member - Peter S (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 00:12

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 00:12
Hi phil
If your coming from pink lakes heading north you can get onto the sunset trk,head west to the border to and then north along the border trk,quite a few decent sand dunes along there to challenge you,good camp spot around the rock holes ,then head north east along the south bore tk to the shearing shed,from their you can get on to settlement rd and to to werrimul. You will see some great country through there and sme good driving.

Cheers
Peter
AnswerID: 504551

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 13:48

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 13:48
Hi Phil,
Got a property out that way & was out there a couple of weeks ago.
It's been pretty dry lately so drop your tyre pressures because the sand is very soft at the moment. Watch the claypans if it rains. I wish!!!

You won't have any issues except for the bloody feral honeybees! Lately they have been after every bit of water they can get because the dams are dry. They will seek out any water you leave around so tip your waste water out well away from camp.
I spent a while spraying their hives in the trees hollows a few weeks ago but they are still as bad as ever.

Enjoy the area. It's beautiful country & they don't call it Sunset country for nothing.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 504581

Reply By: Philby - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 13:22

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 13:22
Thanks so much everyone. Great advice. I look forward to my trek up there
AnswerID: 504673

Sponsored Links