Sunshine Coast to Adels Grove

Hi all

I am trying to plan a trip with the Boss & the 2 dirt magnets (16 months & 3.5). We have some time in April & we have the following thought but are open to some more experienced ideas. We have a 2012 Troopy & will be towing a Jayco Outback Hawk.

1. S/Coast to Roma
2. Roma to Blackall
3. Blackall to Longreach
4. Longreach to McKinlay
5. McKinlay to Mt Isa
6. Mt Isa to Normanton or Karumba
7. Normanton or Karumba to Adels Grove
8. Adels Grove to McKinlay
9. McKinlay to Barcaldine
10. Barcaldine to Roma
11. Roma to S/Coast

We are allowing 16 to 20 days. Are there any alternative routes anyone suggests? Should we bypass anywhere? Or is there somewhere we really should go? We can free camp or use parks - we are set up for either. We are really just going for a 'look around' & to do something...which s better than being home bound!

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance

Stef

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 13:24

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 13:24
Thought about heading via Canarvon Gorge on way there or back? Going over the Drummond Range from Barcaldine I wouldn't have thought would add many kms or time, just the extra days you want to spend in the Gorge, plus would give you a significantlly varied route.
Hope you are allowing 3 days at Adels Grove between Lawn Hill NP and the Fossil fields that will go in no time.

Mark
AnswerID: 504579

Reply By: Rockape - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 13:42

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 13:42
Stef,
If you haven't been to Winton I would stop there as the swaggie centre is worth it, also down to Lark quarry and old Cork if you have time. Give Mckinlay a miss, you can just drop in to the pub to have a look if you want. Give The Mt Isa caravan park a miss unless the neighbours in the back street have moved on.

Good way to go is up from Cloncurry to the four ways and across on the Wills Dev Rd. You can come back to The Isa on the way back.

Have a good trip,
RA.

AnswerID: 504580

Follow Up By: Stefandsal - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 14:05

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 14:05
Mate of mine is the copper there...gotta stop overnight & say hello
FollowupID: 781437

Reply By: baz&pud (tassie) - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 14:11

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 14:11
G'day Stef,
If in Roma on either a Tuesday or Thursday, go to the cattle sale, it's worth the experience, even if there for just half an hour.
At Blackall camp on the banks of the Barcoo River $5pn, toilets, showers and permit at the info centre, go for a swim in the heated poll, beautiful.
Longreach, the Qantas museum, Stockmans Hall of Fame.
McKinlay, if you blink at the wrong time you won't see it, but have a look at the Pub.
Mt Isa doesn't do a lot for us, may for you, we usually only stop for supplies.
Couple of interesting buildings in Normanton, a day trip from here to Karumba was sufficient for us, but do try the fish and de chips.
Adels Grove, you could spend three or four days here, the canoe trip up the Gorge is wonderful, but may be a bit difficult with the kids.
Enjoy the trip, and safe travels.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 504583

Reply By: Jeffrey B2 - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 23:24

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 23:24
Hello Stefandsal, Reading between the lines I get the impression that you may be trying to do too much in one go.

For example, Sunshine Coast to Roma is a very goods days travel especially with youngsters.

Have a closer look at your maps, I would go straight to Normanton and then Karumba from Cloncurry.

Adels Grove from Burktown and back to The Burke and Wills road house.

I would have no good reason to Visit Mt.Isa except to go on to Boulia and then back to Winton

Or alternately head South East to Julia Creek from The Burke and Wills road house and then on to Charters Towers and south to Emerald.

From Emerald to Rolleston and back through Monto and Gayndah.

A different route home and a good drive.

You have outlined a fairly big trip and to do all that in 3 weeks is a big ask.
you will miss a lot of interesting spots.

Give me a P.M.if you think I can help further

Haji-Baba

AnswerID: 504642

Follow Up By: Stefandsal - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 18:00

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 18:00
Thanks Haji (and everyone else)
I did think I might be squeezing a bit in in a short time. I will look at suggestions & possibly revise some of the trip. I have been to all places previously but the wife wanted to check them out. Mt Isa wasn't my ideal choice. I am not a financial member so I don't think I can P.M.
Stef
FollowupID: 781541

Follow Up By: Jeffrey B2 - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 09:38

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 09:38
Just give me a ring on 0408156903 and I might be of some assistance to you. Particularly camp spots.

Haji-Baba
FollowupID: 781573

Follow Up By: Stefandsal - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 20:35

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 20:35
Appreciate the offer Haji-Baba. Will call you in the next day or so.
Stef
FollowupID: 781648

Reply By: rumpig - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 21:42

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 21:42
here's a link to a trip report i did a few years back that took us through some of the areas you have mentioned, though a different route altogether. if you read the whole report you'll see where we stopped on the way back near Biloela as a treat for the kids.
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=121720
keep in mind this was a rushed trip, we knew it would be that way when we planned the trip but we didn't care. this is just to give you an idea of another route and some of the stuff to see along the way, there's heaps of stuff we missed and knew this at the time we planned the trip.
AnswerID: 504699

Follow Up By: Stefandsal - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 20:34

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 20:34
Thanks rumpig
That is a fantastic write up. We know we are doing things fast (other than driving), but just want to get out there again.
FollowupID: 781647

Follow Up By: rumpig - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 21:20

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 21:20
enjoy the trip, there's some beautiful places to see no matter what route you end up taking there and back. some people have heaps of time to explore places, others like ourselves tend to have a quick stop and then move on. it matters not how you do it IMHO, so long as you are getting out there and seeing the country one way or another.
cheers
FollowupID: 781658

Follow Up By: Jeffrey B2 - Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:05

Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:05
Spot on Rumpig, this country is altogether too big to see it all in one trip and we have been lucky enough to have been able to take our time.

At the moment we are preparing a new vehicle with all the add-ons to be able to do some more travelling.

As we get older I hope we get a little smarter and can ferret out the bush camps, fishing spots and wonderful scenery that exists.

I have found over the years that one of the best places to get up to date info. is from the local police station.

Anyway safe travels and if you are heading to Cairns or Darwin just keep the water on the right.

My favorite hobby ?????? is getting bogged.

Have fun Haji-Baba
FollowupID: 781696

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 18:11

Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 18:11
Hi Stef and Sal

We had a look around parts of central and northern Qld last year and wrote a few blogs about the places we went to - have a look here for some more ideas.

If you are passing through Tambo (and have deep pockets) stop and have a look at Tambo Teddies. Also around Muttaburra/Hughenden you are in (fossil) dinosaur territory, so if you eldest has reached the dinosaur stage yet you might enjoy not only the fossils but the dinosaur-foot rubbish bins and other dinosaur themed things around those places.

I think you are trying to cram a lot in a short time. If time is short I would drop off the Normanton-Karumba leg - getting a campsite there can be tricky and there is the risk of sandflies, not much fun for the kids.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 504827

Sponsored Links