Doing The Darling River Run Mid April

We are planning on travelling down the Darling in mid April in our Jayco Outback, and wondered if any recreational vehicle owners were doing the same trip at about that time?

We plan on leaving from Bourke, and travelling the East side, and as we have no time restrictions, we would enjoy some travelling company, mainly for safety considerations.

If any one else has any travel suggestions, which side is best/times of travel etc we would appreciate any bits of info as well.

Thanks in advance

Robert

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 08:13

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 08:13
Robert,

I would be keeping an eye on the flood water that is just entering NSW now from QLD (Balonne River) as well as the water already in NSW from the Barwon River, although it appears that they are predicting Mionor Level flooding for that region.

Also old locals here in Chinchilla are also predicting another flood in the next few weeks so it is quite possible for more water to follow.

On our return trip from Silverton we did the Western side and stayed at Trilby Station. Kids had a great time :)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 504912

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 09:24

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 09:24
Hi Robert,

Great country out there. Another vote for Trilby station.

Suggest watch the weather when you are there - it is black soil country and even the slightest rain makes it very slippery.

You might find our travel report here of interest.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 504914

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 12:24

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 12:24
Anyone planning trips through areas of Australia that are effected by flood waters generated by the "Wet" should take into account that the wet season has only just started in the north. That may mean a short season or a late one. Cyclones can, and do, occur until well into April and frequently dump a great deal of water into the catchments of inland rivers. There could be a great deal of water to come dawn the rivers yet.
As a further point of interest, and entirely in the other direction, I noted when looking at Queensland National Parks web site the other day that they are predicting that camp grounds in the south of Cape York will reopen in 1st May and on 1st June in the north of the cape - subject to weather. If my memory serves me correctly graders did not get out onto the Cape York roads until early June last year and that flooding around areas of the Darling continued well after that.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 504928

Reply By: wombat100 - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 15:32

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 15:32
Hiya Robert
We'll be leaving Bourke about March 20 for the same trip.
I posted the same question a couple of weeks ago (check out 100481).
Hope you have agood trip also.

Cheers
Wombat
AnswerID: 504999

Follow Up By: BrigalowO - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 17:29

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 17:29
Many thanks to all replies. It is very much appreciated

Robert
FollowupID: 782193

Reply By: Member - silvwayne - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 21:52

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 21:52
Will be starting work between Louth and Tipa on Monday. The east side from Tilpa to Wilcannia is in excellent condition ATM. The darling is expected to peak below minor flood level on March 16 and same at Tilpa on 20. Will le.t you know more when I get there.

WayNe
AnswerID: 505218

Follow Up By: Member - silvwayne - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 20:58

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 20:58
Road from Bourke to Wilcannia is reasonable. As usual Louth To Cobar is shocking. River peaked while we were there and was falling when we left. It is starting to rise again at Bourke.

Wayne
FollowupID: 784350

Reply By: Karen D3 - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 15:51

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 15:51
Hi Robert and All
We left Brewarrina on the 27th Feb'13 in a tinny for the trip to Wentworth, our current position is 70 river k's downstream of Wilcannia. The river is now receding, we camp in a tent on the shore at night or stay at one of the www.outbackbeds.com.au There is a camp spot at the North Bourke Boat Ramp that is beautiful and right on the river, also across the river is the Back 'O Burke Gallery, stunning! Trilby Station is well worth a visit, Liz is a magnificent cook and yabbies were great, swimming pool and right on the river.!
Louth Pub, Shindy's Inn has powered sites or cabins and the best Steak Sandwiches or free camp across the bridge! Yabbies plentiful there! We camped across the bridge and used the pubs showers and laundry, my husband loved doing the laundry that day!!!!
At Tilpa, a must do is the signing of their wall, lunch great and plenty of campsites, guys have a chat to Bobby the barmaid!
We left Wilcannia today! There is a small caravan park in town but the new one opens on Good Friday just a few k'sdownstream out of town on the river! Have a talk to the locals at the 'office' the Golf Club, they were all very helpful and willing to share info on Wilcannia. So far we have travelled over 700 river miles to get updates go to Darling River Tinny Trip 2013 on Facebook! TBC
AnswerID: 507141

Sponsored Links