long range fuel tank and suspension

we are in Victoria and are looking to remove the injected gas system off our 80 series and put on a long range tank. half the places we travel do not have gas and if they do the price is the same as petrol so we figure as it is not a daily driver remove it. Can anyone recommend a good company and roughly what they paid I know of brown davis and arb and longrange just want peoples thoughts on who they have used and their experience with the particular tank they have. also what do people recommend for suspension does it need an upgrade we have new shocks it is lifted but springs may need replacing we are not towing anything. thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 10:33

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 10:33
Danielle, there is ample on these two topics and the manufacturers you have mentioned if you search back through the forum. Having said that I prefer a company that make their own product and will therefore stand by it. In that case your choices will be Long Ranger automotive and Brown Davis. ARB peddle products produced by others under their own badge and are very reluctant to stand by the product once it stuffs up, fuel tanks in particular. My advice, great for bull bars and bar work but steer clear re fuel tanks. I’m not enamoured of their suspension products either having seen far too many of the OME products fail once the going gets tough (and all outback tracks are tough these days due to corrugations.

One stop shop for both tank and suspension leaves you Brown Davis – Their tanks are of good quality and they will stand by their products. They will do suspension works for you at the factory using the manufacturer of your choice. I’d recommend Tough Dog but again, your suspension choice should be based on your needs and research.

Have a look here under the “Getting Stuff done” heading.

Ute build - Brown Davis

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 505157

Follow Up By: Member - Chris (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 18:36

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 18:36
Hi Mick,

I don't know about all the tanks supplied by ARB but the one I purchased from them for a Nissan D40 was an LRA tank, it came as a complete kit all marked LRA, no ARB branding to be seen.

The tank was well made, very good fitting kit with all instuctions.

Chris

Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

FollowupID: 782133

Follow Up By: Mick O - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 18:52

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 18:52
Hi Chris,

just to be sure are we talking the Longranger tanks of Queensland as supplied by ARB see here; The Longranger

or "Long Range Automotive" as in the fuel tank manufacturing company of Croydon; See here:Long Range Automotive - LRA

I have owned both, having had an LRA product in my D20 Navara and an Longranger in my Patrol. If you had an LRA product you have done exceptionally well as Roger and the boys at Croydon do good work. Their tanks are well made and strengthened and they provide excellent after sales service.

When the other product failed in my Patrol, ARB didn't want to know about it. I ended up having Brown Davis remove and gusset it and strengthen all the corner points with pacmen.

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782136

Follow Up By: Member - Chris (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 19:32

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 19:32
You started me thinking Mick, so I had to check, found an email reply from the manufacturer when I had a query.
The tank was definently an LRA (Long Range Automotive) and purchased through ARB on the Sunshine Coast.

Maybe at the time Longranger did not make a tank for the D40?

Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

FollowupID: 782138

Follow Up By: Mick O - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 22:02

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 22:02
You're probably right Chris. Either way you have a very good tank in one from LRA.

Cheers
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782160

Reply By: Member - nick b - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 13:52

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 13:52
this link may give you some ideas , when i asked a similar question re L/R fuel tank .

long range fuel tank options
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 505175

Reply By: Member - Danielle h - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 20:49

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 20:49
thanks all for your advice - much appreciated, spoke with long range automotive on the weekend at a four wheel drive show might look at going through them
AnswerID: 505211

Reply By: Ross M - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 21:06

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 21:06
Danielle H
I was under the impression some of the 80 series had two tanks. If you fit a large long range unit all the fuel and all it's weight is in the one container.

On one of the forums an owner had to remove his long range tank on one of the popular tracks and reweld the brackets which held it in. Not common but definitely a pain in the armpit.
If you have a main and a sub tank then all your fuel eggs aren't in one basket case if one of them fails.
Possibly worth investigating if this tank setup is available from wreckers.
May be a few around as many have fitted BIG LR tanks.
Just depends on how much fuel you need to carry.

Ross M
AnswerID: 505213

Reply By: Member - John - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 06:58

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 06:58
Where abouts in Victoria are you? If near the outer south east of Melbourne, can recommend Grge Smith, Smithies Outback Gear in Cranbourne for suspension advice and fitting, as well as tank fitting. Agree, LRA tanks are a good product. Greg will give you all the options and not try and push you towards one brand or an other. He can be contacted on 03 59954325 Premise is at 1/218 High St Cranbourne

John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 505226

Reply By: Member - Danielle h - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 17:31

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 17:31
thanks John and julie spoke to him this morning and he was great we live about 5 minutes from cranbourne - did not know he installs tanks though and he did not mention that he did he gave me advice on the springs we need so will speak to the husband and might get a price on the tank installation from greg too thanks again
AnswerID: 505249

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 09:39

Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 09:39
Danielle,
from your comments it appears you view the gas injector as purely a cost saving device. I find that it improves power, torque and fuel economy. It also increases range.
Unless it is programmed correctly, you won't achieve these benefits. It might be worth having it assessed and measure the parameters I mentioned before committing to the costly course of replacing it with a LR tank (and associated suspension mods).
I also go places where gas isn't available. In these situations I turn the gas off until I need the extra power/torque for a tricky dune etc. Using the gas makes getting to these remote places far more economical (eg the drive from Victoria to say Alice Springs).
My 20L gas tank lasts as long as the 120L fuel tank, but improves range by a lot more than an extra 20L of diesel.
I love the gas injection system. I'd urge you to fully explore its benefits before making a an expensive and rash decision to dump it.
Bob

AnswerID: 505286

Reply By: Matthew G3 - Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 13:44

Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 13:44
Hi Danielle

I have an 93, 80 series with a 170ltr tank in the back [265 all up] by Longranger [ARB] ive had it in for 16 years with no problems. The best on road at 110kmh ive got is 1265kms from the 170. I run ARB springs at 400kg above standard with poly air bags just to take the bownce out on h/way, but i do have a twin carrier on the back and rear draws. I had nothing but trouble with ARB shocks. For a heavy stiff vehicle which i have done the Cape around the gulf to Darwin, Googs Track, Simpson, all fully loaded with no cracking fatigue problems.

I have the matching springs in the front but i do have a high mount winch + bar+ side rails+ the d/b.
AnswerID: 505309

Sponsored Links