Towing 18' Jayco Sterling

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 05:28
ThreadID: 100802 Views:5297 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello people,

Need some advise, my wife and I are going to look at on Sunday a 2008 Jayco Sterling Outback caravan specs are Tandem Axle, Ensuite, 18', Pop Top for purchase.
Questions are: 1) Are there any issues with this model we should be looking out for.
2) We have an 80 Series Landcruiser 4.2 diesel manual for towing the van tares off at 1800 kg, I guess 2100 kg GVM, besides being a bit slow would the cruiser be able to handle this towing weight?

Any advise and thoughts on the above questions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Allan and Ang

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 07:09

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 07:09
Hi Allan. Even if your Cruiser is pre 2006 it is still rated to tow 2.5 tonne so it will have no problems handling that van's weight. As you said, it may be a bit slow though. Maybe fit an turbo in the future.
The van itself, provided it has been looked after should be still in reasonable condition. You will have to go through the internal items and make sure all work, Fridge, Stove, Water Pump, Hot Water, Water tanks, Battery and Battery charger, Air conditioner if fitted, Radio, TV etc. Make sure the Poptop raises and lowers correctly. Check the inside thoroughly for any signs of water leaks.These all take time but will save a lot of heartache down the track. They can be also known to wear the rollers in the roller/rocker suspension if the suspension has not been greased regularly. It may pay to either check or have checked, the suspension, electric brakes and wheel bearings. Also have a good look over and under for any signs of major damage or bits loose or falling off. Get a vehicle check from the National register as well. Good Luck with it. Hope it all goes well. Cheers,Bob.
AnswerID: 505717

Follow Up By: Member - Allan H (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 07:31

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 07:31
Thanks Toyocrusa,

Sound advise, I shall print your reply off and take it with us, thank you again.

Cheers

Allan
FollowupID: 782669

Reply By: bluefella - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 07:29

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 07:29
The cruiser might not be the fastest tug but it will be one of the most reliable,
enjoy your caravaning.
AnswerID: 505718

Reply By: WBS - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 07:58

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 07:58
I can't help with the Jayco.

I've towed an 18.5' Regent of about the same weight with my 80 Series (fitted with an aftermarket turbo) for a few years. It had no problems doing that but don't expect to break any speed records. Even with the turbo it was no rocket. I always towed in 4th gear and kept my revs at or below 2400 rpm when cruising. Whatever the speed I got to doing that was the speed I travelled at.Mine has been an extremely reliable vehicle that has never let me down. It can get frustrating when you are holding up traffic some times but if you can put up with that you should have no problems. The van won't be pushing the vehicle around either, which can happen with lighter vehicles.

Good luck and enjoy your travels

WBS
AnswerID: 505720

Reply By: Rockape - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 08:10

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 08:10
Allen and Ang,
Another thing to look out for is that the door closes square and doesn't sag. This is often a sign the van can be twisted or sagging.

Old 80 series will be fine although slow. Just don't stress her out to much by trying to use 5th gear or travelling more than 85 kph. You will just use more fuel in 5th and cause the internal engine heat to rise. If driving over a cliff by all means use 5th. LOL.

Try and keep your travelling weight down also. If I haven't used a non essential item on a trip out it comes.

RA.
AnswerID: 505721

Follow Up By: baz&pud (tassie) - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 09:27

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 09:27
When towing the van, don't use 5th at all, or you could end up blowing the gear box.
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 782670

Reply By: Member - Allan H (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 20:48

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 20:48
Ang and I would like to thank everyone for their time to reply to questions, there is some very useful advise which we will take on board.

Thank you again everyone
AnswerID: 505775

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 13:44

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 13:44
Allan H
we have owned the Outback version of that van for 3 years now, bought it as a 3 yo van ex Sydney. Since then we have towed it well over 50,000km around the block once and up to Darwin & outback Qld once. Except for a little dust ingress on the first trip (I have since sealed the hose & services entry points underneath the van), now even that is no longer any issue. Just be sure your pop top roof clamps are as tight as necessary, to avoid dust getting into the pop top surround.

Service the van mechanicals regularly IE Bearings, Brakes, Spring shackles coupling etc... and if you have half the fun we have had you will have had a fantastic time.
Get out & enjoy.
Colin.
AnswerID: 505827

Follow Up By: Member - Allan H (NSW) - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 20:43

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 20:43
Thank you both for your reply and it is reassuring that you haven't had any major issues with your van. I will pay particular attention to your suggestions.

Thank you and maybe will catch you around the traps.

Allan and Ang
FollowupID: 782753

Follow Up By: ozjohn0 - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 08:03

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 08:03
If the Tare is 1800Kg then the ATM will most likely be around 2275Kg.
Ozjohn.
FollowupID: 782777

Sponsored Links