Rear view mirror monitor for reversing camera.

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 14:13
ThreadID: 100812 Views:5124 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

I am trying to find a rear view mirror monitor for a reversing camera such as this one - http://dx.com/p/universal-7-tft-lcd-rear-view-mirror-monitor-with-remote-controller-961081303, but want to know if I can attach 2 cameras to the unit. I have one camera at the back of the vehicle and the other at the back of the caravan and want to connected them to the monitor, so that I can switch between the 2 as I need to.

The units that I have found so far say that they have multiple inputs - camera, DVD, etc. Can the input for the DVD be used for another camera? Others say that they have an AV1 and AV2 input - does that mean that I can use them both for cameras input?

If anyone has any experience or knows, I would be very appreciative of an answer.

Regards

Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 14:41

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 14:41
short answer - yes & yes. Have one of these fitted in my troopy tray

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7-TFT-LCD-Car-In-Car-Rear-View-Mirror-Monitor-for-Backup-Reversing-Camera-/180993388029?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a240bedfd

have a high distance camera and a low reversing camera... can switch between the two by pressing one button. Make sure the spec says av1 & av2.

Plenty of similar items on e-bay both stand alone and with camera packages... given the price (less that $70) - not much can go too wrong....
AnswerID: 505746

Follow Up By: pprass - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 14:50

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 14:50
G'day Scott - that is one of the units that I have been looking at and even sent them a query, but their answer was not quite as precise and clear cut as yours!

Thanks for your the response - I'll be ordering one straight away and only $40!

Peter
FollowupID: 782682

Reply By: Member - Des Y (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 14:47

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 14:47
Yes you can use 2 cameras one to each input look at loudroomcreations site for the setup have just done 2 vehicles this way
AnswerID: 505747

Follow Up By: pprass - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 15:13

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 15:13
Thanks - gives me more confidence. I used to have an 8" touch screen monitor bolted to the dash of the vehicle with the 2 cameras attached, but it was just too big and got in the way of the passenger, resulting in the mounting bracket being cracked a few times.
FollowupID: 782683

Reply By: Member - SeabreezeOZ - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 15:14

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 15:14
That's the monitor sorted, what do you do for cameras?
AnswerID: 505749

Follow Up By: pprass - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 16:58

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 16:58
As mentioned in my original note, I already have 2 cameras set up which were connected to a touch screen on the dashboard of my vehicle. So they are just sitting there waiting to be connected :) According to the email I received from the supplier, the monitor should be here on 5 March - just fantastic service!
FollowupID: 782690

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 19:23

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 19:23
Peter,

I can recommend Brash Imports

Have been using both a camera and mirror mounted monitor or several years now and David is quick to respond to queries, or dispatch items purchased.

AV1 and AV2 are the channels used for one or two camera input.
AV1 is the default and is automatically switched on when you engage reverse gear.
You can also select either channel manually and leave it on that channel if you desire.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 505767

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 21:38

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 21:38
Bill

I have to agree with you.

I was down Melbourne way a few weeks ago and bought some rear vision gear from him.

Good prices and very, very helful.

FollowupID: 782707

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 23:08

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 23:08
Hmmmm .... same item as on ebay, but about $100 more...
FollowupID: 782715

Reply By: Member - DereelGirl - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 20:20

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 20:20
Hi All, I got a reversing mirror and camera but I have the problem that the monitor won't fit over the existing mirror because the one fitted in my Xtrail is too close to the roof. I've been looking for something cheap that will either replace the old mirror completely or something I can mount else where. Any suggestions?
Don't mean to side track things but I thought it was along the same theme.
Cheers
Dereelgirl
Dereelgirl

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 505773

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 22:39

Thursday, Feb 28, 2013 at 22:39
Could you attach it to the existing mirror with double sided tape or self adhesive Velcro tape?
FollowupID: 782713

Follow Up By: pprass - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 09:59

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 09:59
Not so much a "side-track" Dereelgirl, but the next logical point that I will be confronting as well!
I have an overhead console for the UHF radio and I am concerned that it is too close to the existing mirror, which will either not give me any room to clip the new monitor over it, or the new mirror will be obstructed in part by the console.
I'll just have to wait and see when I get it.
In the meantime regarding your problem, you may need to remove the existing mirror and replace it with a simple bracket that screws back into the roof and then attach the reversing mirror at the other end, making sure that it is longer than the original mirror to clear the roof line.

FollowupID: 782725

Reply By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 21:39

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 21:39
I had a similar unit a couple of years ago. As others have said, two cameras are fine.

I had two problems with mine. The clips that hold it to the mirror failed after about a year of Aussie sun. Cunning use of cable ties around the remaining bits fixed that! The second problem was harder to deal with - on hot days the grease in the original mirror ball joints didn't have sufficient viscosity to hold both mirrors. Eventually used some small occy straps for support (not too tight as the reverse problem occurs with the mirror "sagging upwards").

Replaced it with an indash unit "with the lot" which was a neater solution all round.
AnswerID: 505858

Reply By: pprass - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 16:57

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 16:57
Just received the camera in the post - very fast service indeed. No problems with clipping the reversing camera mirror onto my existing mirror and it is not fouled by the overhead console - just looks very bulky which I guess I will get used to. The "mirror" is not like a normal mirror, but I could see well enough. Maybe it changes to look like a real mirror when the power is connected, but at the moment it looks like when you flip the mirror for anti-glare. Will have to see what it looks like at night as well.

My issue though is the plugs for the 2 cameras. The reversing mirror came with 2 yellow AV plugs - one male and one female. However the plugs at the end of my cables that are attached to my existing cameras are both Male! What happens now? Do I have to change one of the plugs from the cameras to a female plug - willl it work?
AnswerID: 506053

Sponsored Links