Halls Creek to Broome

Submitted: Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 13:45
ThreadID: 100899 Views:2267 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Am travelling the CSR in late August with some East Coasters who (because of time constraints) will have to fly home from Broome. I'd like to take a few days from Halls Creek to Broome and was thinking of turning off just past Fitzroy Crossing and heading up through Windjana, onto the Gibb and down to Broome.
Any advice on points of interest between Halls Creek, Fitzroy Crossing and Broome would be most appreciated.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 14:10

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 14:10
Hi DB,

As I recall there is not much to see west of Windjana Gorge - the country is just flatish floodplain. The road in from just west of Fitzroy Crossing to Tunnel Creek and Windjana (Leopold Downs Rd) is very scenic and well worth driving, and there are good bush camps where the road goes through the Oscar Ranges. Once you have done Tunnel Creek and Windjana I would suggest going east along GRR for as much time as you can spare, then returning to the bitumen to go into Broome. The Mt Hart and Bell Gorge turn-offs are not too far along the GRR from Windjana. Basically you need to be east of the Napier Range to get into the scenic country.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 506035

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 14:14

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 14:14
The most obvious point of interest, though not directly on your route, is, of course,
the Bungles. The other main ones are Geike Gorge at Fitzroy Crossing, Tunnel Creek
& Windjana Gorge, both on the Fitzroy/Gibb road. Then the attractions of Derby..
jetty, prison tree etc. None of these, Bungles excepted, will take several days, in fact
we did Broome..Derby..Windjana & Tunnel Ck to Fitzroy easily in a day. No specific
things come to mind between Halls & Fitzroy. cheers....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 506038

Reply By: V8 Cruiser Ute Paul - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 00:06

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 00:06
Gday Dingo Blue
Don't rush the Kimberley Never done the CSR very jealous . Your East Coasters are lucky enough to have you showing them . Maybe next year they can come back for a proper GRR , Mitchell PLateau, Bungles , etc , trip . ( Kimberley local n x tour guide very passionate about this area ) . U have limited time.
Doold Halls Creek , Gieke Gorge cruise . turn R on the Fairfield / Leopald road About 20km out of of Fitzroy and do tunnel creek ( awesome ) bring a torch ,Lillimumilura ruins , Windjana gorge , Mowanjan art centre , Derby , prison tree , Willare road house does good food , Sunset Cable Beach , Staircase to the moon over Roebuck bay is August 21st to 23rd which proble don't work . happy if u need more info this is Gods country
Drive safe n enjoy
Regards Paul
AnswerID: 506077

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 10:20

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 10:20
Thanks V8
will contact you later for more info
DB

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 783040

Reply By: Member - Phil H (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 19:41

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 19:41
You will love the CSR it will be B cold at night take it your travelling south to north (did same last year)
Drove from Sydney to Broome via Halls Creek ,Fitzroy crossing ETC ETC, There is one spot not mentioned by others 192k W of Halls creek , called Ngumban Cliff Lookout.
( Don't be tempted to camp up the top, but be there early in the morning),
About 10-15k W of Ngumban cliffs is a fantastic spot Mimbi caves(need to book through Halls creek Info centre) Allow 1/2 day.
What a great country we have? Enjoy your trip mate.
AnswerID: 506122

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 19:13

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 19:13
Thanks Phil,
Can't find Ngumban Cliff lookout on my Hema maps but have found reference to Mimbi caves. Will check with Halls Creek info centre.
Thanks again

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 783140

Sponsored Links