Cape York August 2013 interary feedback sought

Hello all,

Planning a tip to Cape York in August and got a bit of a trip itinerary planned and wondering if the more experienced Cape York travelers would care to provide some feedback.

I've read many books and articles, looked at heaps of maps and brochures,etc etc but looking for some more intimate feedback based on experiences. Curious about the distances between locations, whether they are actually drivable in the time-frame or whether it's hard work, if anyone knows or can recommend Camping around those locations (bush camping) that I can investigate, changes etc,etc

To Cairns from Brisbane
Night 1Cairns
Night 2 Cairns
Night 3Cape Tribulation
Night 4 Endeavour Falls
Night 5 Endeavour Falls
Night 6 North from Wujal Wujal to Roaring Med Falls (not interested in doing
all on the CREB)
Night 7 Lakefield National Park
Night 8 Lakefield National Park
Night 9Archer River Roadhouse
Night 10 Bramwell Junction
Night 11 Elliot Falls/Canal Creek/Nolans/Dulhunty River
Night 12 Elliot Falls/Canal Creek/Nolans/Dulhunty River
Night 13 Punsand Bay
Night 14 Punsand Bay
Night 15 Punsand Bay
Night 16 Captain Billys Landing
Night 17 Moreton Telegraph Station
Night 18 Weipa
Night 19 Weipa
Night 20 Archer River Roadhouse
Night 21 Port Stewert
Night 22 Hann River Roadhouse
Night 23 Palmer River Roadhouse
Night 24 Mareeba
Night 25 Chillagoe
Head home to Brisbane

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrol22 - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 14:15

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 14:15
I'd make the following observation regarding you proposed itinerary Paul:

(1) You have Endeavour Falls down for Nights 4 and 5 and then Night 6 as in the Wujal Wujal/Roaring Meg area. Endeavour Falls (I'm assuming you mean the caravan park) is between Cooktown and the Battlecamp Track over the hills into Lakefield NP. Wujal is between Cape Trib and The Lions Den so you might want to swap these around a little.

(2) Eliot Falls is a magnificent camping spot for a few days as too are some of the creeks along the OTL. Just be aware that Nolans has a bit of a reputation for claiming the unaware and unskilled.....by the time we were then in Aug 2012 the Ranger told us that 46 vehicles had been recovered to Bamaga with major issues following 'drowning'.

(3) Remember all NP camping areas in QLD must now be prebooked online. We booked several last year and all work well for us.....no delays or double bookings experienced.

(4) The Weipa Caravan Park now also requires you to prebook either online or give them a call.

(5) If you post an email address I can send you a bunch of stuff from the trip last year including key telephone numbers and oziexplorer track and waypoint files.
AnswerID: 506102

Follow Up By: Pauly_T - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 14:24

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 14:24
oops, you are right. When I was typing it out I got it all around the wrong way should be
To Cairns from Brisbane
Night 1 Cairns
Night 2 Cairns
Night 3 Cape Tribulation
Night 4 North from Wujal Wujal to Roaring Med Falls (not interested in doing all on the CREB)
Night 5 Endeavour Falls
Night 6 Endeavour Falls
Night 7 Lakefield National Park
Night 8 Lakefield National Park
Night 9 Archer River Roadhouse
Night 10 Bramwell Junction
Night 11 Elliot Falls/Canal Creek/Nolans/Dulhunty River
Night 12 Elliot Falls/Canal Creek/Nolans/Dulhunty River
Night 13 Punsand Bay
Night 14 Punsand Bay
Night 15 Punsand Bay
Night 16 Captain Billys Landing
Night 17 Moreton Telegraph Station
Night 18 Weipa
Night 19 Weipa
Night 20 Archer River Roadhouse
Night 21 Port Stewert
Night 22 Hann River Roadhouse
Night 23 Palmer River Roadhouse
Night 24 Mareeba
Night 25 Chillagoe
Head home to Brisbane

Know about having to prebook - pain in the derriere.

Re the offer, I think I've already got all of that off of you but just in case paulatatton@gmail.com.

Thanks Paul
FollowupID: 783058

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 14:38

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 14:38
Sent the stuff just in case Paul. I note you are going back to Mareeba and then on out to Chillagoe. You could leave the PDR just north of Laura (approx 20km) and head out through Palmerville and Mt Mulgrave - this will bring you back onto the Burke Development Rd west of Chillagoe - this is a total distance of approx 210km. It is then a further 80km into Chillagoe. It is a very easy drive....some corrugations but I reckon you would have no trouble in doing the drive from Hann River Roadhouse to Chillagoe in a day....with ample rest stops.
FollowupID: 783061

Follow Up By: Member - OnYaBike - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 23:43

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 23:43
If you were staying at Palmer R and only going to Mareeba the next day you could duck out to Maytown for a look. The road out is excellent and scenic or it was last November. It is only from the Palmer Crossing that the roads degenerate into unimproved tracks to Maytown (about 10 km) and the other goldfield sites.
In fact you could do Hann R to Palmer Crossing and camp there and come out to Mareeba the next day.
FollowupID: 783094

Reply By: Mark T6 - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 15:02

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 15:02
We did Chillie Beach (and loved it) last year...also had a look at Lockart River airport (famous in world war 2), the little Coffee Shop on the water at Portland Roads (past Chillie) was great as well. Didn't do Captain Billys as we reckoned it would be the same as Chillie Beach.

Loved the drive out and back, especially through the river crossings and rain forrest.

We stayed at Loyalty Beach and can reccomend 100%, the road to and from the tip was probably the worst we encountered and as such we were veryt pleased we didn't use Punsand Bay.

2 nights in Lakefield (we stayed at Kalpower Crossing and I would suggets this is the spot).

2 nights on the OTT is the go, lots of places along the way to free camp BUT Elliott / Twin Falls is bloody spectacular so spend the whatever per night and stay there...magnificent!!

Prebook Weipa, it's always full
AnswerID: 506184

Sponsored Links