Planning Birdsville trip - During Race week or not ?

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 17:04
ThreadID: 100942 Views:1642 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Just looking at arranging a trip through Cameron's Corner, Innamincka, Tibooburra, Birdsville etc from Sydney with several families this year.

Never been to this part of the country and after opinions whether it should be Sept to coincide with the races or July,August ?

Regards
Jeff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robyn R4 - Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 19:00

Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 19:00
Hubby, dog and I did this from se Qld late last September.
A terrific trip!
It all depends if you're into the crowds, really.
Even McHugh wrote a fabulous book about his 12 months in Birdsville (called, er "Birdsville", funnily enough!) and it's a great read before, during and after a trip to Birdsville.
He describes the transformation of the town of 60ish people into a town of 6000 for the races-it's amazing, and run with precision and great experience!
We missed the races but were still fascinated with soooo much more (even knowing and appreciating how technical their grocery shopping is, makes Dusty's yummy beef and salad rolls at the Bakery even more interesting!!)
Get Evan's book and perhaps that'll help you more than we can...
Enjoy your trip!!
:)

AnswerID: 506272

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 22:13

Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 22:13
It actually depends on if you want to see the "real" Birdsville or if you want to see Birdsville when there are 6000 plus people in the town , Race week/end is THE event of the year for locals and visitors but in reality does not show Birdsville at its 'best' , the pub generally takes down all memorabilia 3/4 days prior to the we/end , Big Red becomes like Sydney harbour bridge at peak hour ,, yes race we/end is magic if your into CROWDS and drunks and horse races ,,,, that said ,, our 1st time was 2002 , now have been 4yrs in a row [ nothing like having your own/share in a horse running in the Birdsville Cup] ,,,,,,
AnswerID: 506288

Reply By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 14:08

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 14:08
Jeff,
I've been up to Birdsville 4 times in total, each time I purposely avoid race week. If I wanted crowds, I'd stick to Adelaide.

You've got to ask yourself, how good could the infastructure really be to support such a crowd? It's hard getting a meal at the pub during normal tourist season without the hassel of the races. The Simpson dunes get carved up, accomodation is hard to come by and the roads in and out are like Highway 1.

I guess it depends on what you want to go there for. As above, if you want to see the real Birdsville, go there during the quiet times or even summer!!!! And YES, do yourself a favour and read Ewan McHugh's Birdsville....a great read.

Fab.
AnswerID: 506339

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 21:19

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 21:19
G'day Jeff,

If you like to have a fun week try to get to Birdsville from the Wednesday before the races and stay for 4 or 5 days.
If you're keen to stay in a caravan park and have heaps of room and the services you expect from a caravan park, don't go in race week.

If you don't mind stretching yourself to have a heap of fun and experience one Austarlia's great outback gatherings, go in race week and camp on the common, just out of town.

I'm going back up this year and we're looking forward to it so much, for so many reasons.

It's up to you if you prefer a sedate stay or a party.

Steve
AnswerID: 506365

Sponsored Links