Where to mount roof rack????

Hi all,

The side rails/gutters have been cut off my fj55 (when the respray was done).
I want to put a roof rack on top but not to sure how to fit it.

Should i:

1: Bolt it to the roof (will it weaken the roof?)
2: Run rails up the side of the 4b to support (unprefered method)

Keep in mind it wont need to carry excessive weight.

Thanks for any replys!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 11:32

Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 11:32
You already have the rack?

If not, what about one designed for cars with no gutters? like new cars?

I think the exoskel style looks crap too..

AnswerID: 44723

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 11:43

Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 11:43
Your roof gutters would have been cut off when the previous owner cut all of the rust out of the roof. Alternatively he has just bogged the roof up( better check if this is so). If you do not intend carrying anything heavy up on the roof see if you can find a roodrack with suction caps( they used to be around in the '60's and 70's...don't know if you can still get them). Other than that you may have to fit a full roll cage but that is hardly worthwhile. Come to think of it see if you can do without a roofrack.

Cheers,
Willem

Googs Lake camp
AnswerID: 44726

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 15:16

Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 15:16
When I put a roof rack on my 4 Runner there is no gutters so I got a set of runners and bars from Opposite lock worked well( they rivet on) the extra runners will actually add strenght to your roof ,A friends wife flipped his pride and joy on the roof at 120 km an hour and it ran a fair distance on its roof down the black top ,she was saved by the roof rack ,they had a basket type that took most of the scraping ,it got so hot sliding it turned the metal blue99 GU Patrol 4.2 TD
Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 44752

Reply By: Member - JimW - Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 15:33

Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 15:33
The 80s Falcon wagons used strengthening bars and a basket bolted to the roof. I wouldn't put much weight on there, but OK for ladders etc. Don't know where to get one these days. Probably try the wreckers.

Jim
AnswerID: 44756

Reply By: kiwi2 - Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 17:10

Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 17:10
A mob in Sydney make a number of rack mount variations including one that lets you screw railings to the roof and the crossbars then slide/fix in whatever position you choose. They claim to be better/stronger than others and sell direct rather than through retailers. Check them at www.roofracks.com (no "au") - the strength of the rails might solve the problem of a dubious roof structure. Has anybody else tried them?
AnswerID: 44766

Sponsored Links