Coleman Instant Up 8P for Family of 5?

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 12:41
ThreadID: 101064 Views:2591 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
just wondering if anyone has a view on whether this tent would comfortably fit 5 (2 adults on stretchers, three kids on thermarests). I can't find it set up anywhere in Melbourne to view it (and just missed the camping show!), but I spoke to someone at kangaroo Tent City in Sydney who said the sides slope quite a lot and it might be a squeeze for 5.
She suggested as an alternative the Black Wolf, which is much more expensive and heavier, on the downside, but also probably much stronger and more waterproof. Not sure which Black Wolf I would need (twin or plus).
Or another alternative would be to get a couple of the little three man speedy tents - Companion Exo or EPE Speedy.
I want it as a quick alternative to setting up the camper trailer on our trip up north, for places where we are only staying a night. I would prefer to all be in one tent as the kids are of an age that otherwise we would split up to have an adult in each tent. I know the Colman might not be so good in windy/rainy weather but I guess we could always do the camper trailer if necessary. I don't want it to be too heavy and it doesn't make sense to get a really expensive one when we are going to be pulling a trailer as well!
Any suggestions?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 14:02

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 14:02
We have a 6 person Coleman which we got in the USA, not too sure if they are available in Oz but two of them would be ideal.

Coleman instant tents
AnswerID: 506700

Reply By: sweetnam - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 14:02

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 14:02
One of my many tents is a blackwolf turbolite plus (bcf 270)

We can just fit 4 x stretchers in it and have a tiny bit of room to move around

4 x mats on the other hand is very spacious

Just need to wif to stick with the mats

My mate has the turbolite twin 240 and can easily fit 2 strechers in each end without using the centre section which for him is storage and walk in area

Hope this helps

Ben
AnswerID: 506701

Reply By: gerard m2 - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 10:25

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 10:25
We have the 6p and love it, they really do go up in a minute or two. I'm not sure about the size of the 8p but the Coleman Instant tents are all on the smaller size ie the 6p is really a 4p and so on. We have no problems in recomending them and our daughter has just bought one.
AnswerID: 506766

Follow Up By: Gado - Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 09:45

Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 09:45
We bought the Coleman 4p last year for two of us to go across the Simpson desert, it is ideal for two adults but any more would be a squeeze. Floor area is 2.4m x 2.4m but sides slope in a bit.

It's very easy to put up and pack away for overnight stops, that was our main requirement. It was not expensive but we didn't buy it to last forever. It is pretty light material and luckily we didn't have to cope with windy conditions as I'm sure it would struggle, although it should be waterproof.
FollowupID: 784007

Reply By: Carolyn R2 - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 21:10

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 21:10
Thanks everyone for your replies. I had looked at the Black Wolf turbo tents but they are significantly more expensive (and clearly better!) as well as being heavier. I managed to see a Coleman instant 4 at Ray's Outdoors, which gave me a bit more of an idea of the sloping sides. I have basically decided to get the 8P, which I think we will all fit into at a squeeze, provided we are all on thermarests. Fingers crossed!
AnswerID: 507075

Sponsored Links