Muzbry's Corner - Avon Wilderness Area

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 20:22
ThreadID: 101074 Views:3982 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I spent last weekend with life member Muzbry (I do like mixing with royalty:-)) on the Avon River, up in the Avon Wilderness Area. To say it was hot was a huge understatement! At least there were no bushfires in the area, and the local DSE and CFA guys were having a much needed break.

The Avon River in this area was the lowest I’d seen it in the eight years I’ve lived in Victoria. I’d taken my trout fishing outfit, however there wasn’t enough water to float a lure let alone sustain fish that need cold water. Even the occasional deep water hole had weed blooms growing in them.

We headed over Huggett’s Crossing and up the Mt Angus Tk. Quite a few families were camped at Huggetts, mainly in the river! Vehicles, gazebos, chairs and tables – the whole works in the river. A very interesting collection of plastic floatation devices were also being used by the kids. A far cry from the car tube of my childhood.

All of the tracks beyond Huggetts showed the damage caused by the freak windstorm late last year. Member Muzzarich warned us that there may be a shortage of firewood. There was good firewood everywhere - like everywhere! The only difficulty was that the tracks were often partially obstructed by fallen timber at the entry point to river crossings. This was somewhat character building as the vehicles sometimes slowly slid down the churned up slope toward a fallen tree! We could petition the State government to buy DSE personnel with bigger chain saws.

After a few deviations we made it through to Muzbry’s Corner to camp for the night, about 20k upstream from Huggetts. It was bloody hot until about 9.00pm, when the thunderstorm dumped on us. Then it because bloody hot and bloody humid. We spent the remainder of the night listening to the sound of distant, and not so distant, timber crashing down.

All in all a beautiful part of the world, although winter will be interesting – when the river rises again and cuts off many of the track diversions it will be interesting to see how we travellers respond, and whether the DSE will attempt to clear up the sections that are closed at the moment.

Happy travels!
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 20:42

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 20:42
G'day Muzbry,
Thanks for Sharing with us.
It certainly is a great part of the world. Been going there for a long time & always have fond memories of Inner Tubing all the way from "The Channels" down to Wombat crossing with the family. Great way to spend a day in the water.

Had many night swims in the river because it runs East/West for awhile the water warms up in the day & keeps running down warm well into the night. Shame there is not much water at the moment. My friend has Kayaked it in full flood & let me tell you the Channels look pretty impressive when it does.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 506731

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 21:50

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 21:50
Gday
Leave the inner tube at home Stu, just wear your runners and hike the river, its mostly pretty dry

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 783785

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 08:34

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 08:34
Yea, I have walked it some years ago when it was also dry.

It's actually quite a scenic walk to do as long as you don't twist your ankle on the river rocks.
FollowupID: 783826

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 21:46

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 21:46
Gday George
What a great weekend. Pitty the fella with you didn't bring his own cuttlery and plate. We had a very plesant time , even with the rain, George read the paper and I played solitare on the gizmo. The drive out on Sunday was without dust, not like Saturday on the way in , some places George dissapeared in the dust. All in good relaxing fun.
Murray
Muzbry

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 506739

Reply By: Tim Owen - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 22:17

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 22:17
G'day all, This inspired me to get out the rooftop maps. Thinking about camping at Huggets for Easter. Requirements are dog allowed, accessible with 4WD tourer (ie. relatively easy grade 4wd tracks) and pref with toilet, but not essential. Pref to just base ourselves in one spot and explore on foot. Any advice from those in the know appreciated. I know Tim from Stratford is an expert on the area, so would particularly put a call out for his input, but of course all contributions welcome.

Where exactly is "Muzbry's corner"? Looks like a nice spot.
AnswerID: 506743

Follow Up By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 22:26

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 22:26
Tim
that's top seceret
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 783793

Follow Up By: Tim Owen - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 22:32

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 22:32
ah c'mon, help a guy out who is under the pump to find a holiday destination....

without spelling out my email address here, you can work it out from this....

firstname.surname@internode.on.net

I promise not to break the code and publish it on the web.
FollowupID: 783794

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 07:04

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 07:04
Gday Tim
Huggets is ok for a weekend but you might have to get there early. There is a drop dunny and a low river. You can hike down streem through the gorge , climb the hill and walk back the long way,( mind the traffic) or just walk back up the river.When you have done that, go up streem for a look.Then have a swim.
Have a look on the other side of the river and head for Mt Angus track, it goes around in a big circle back to Huggets.The road will be in your map book, or just follow the traffic.

Muzbry

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 783818

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 08:41

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 08:41
G'day Tim,
If we go there at Easter we take Backpacks, park the car & take the walking track down the river for a half hour or so & find our own private swimming hole.
Great to get away from everyone for a bit of "skinny dipping" although it sounds like swimming is not possible at the moment.

There some great swimming holes upstream from Dermody's camp that usually hold water even when the river is dry.
FollowupID: 783828

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 22:18

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 22:18
Hi George
Looks like I missed a good weekend, see that the rain gods were upon you again so it must be you or Muzbry who is the jonah for rain and not the other people that have the pleasure of travelling with you two. Must say that Muz almost looks like royalty in his OE shirt in the photos. Great report.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 506744

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 08:23

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 08:23
Hi George

Great time of year to be driving isn't it - good to see you and Muz geting into it.

Wasn't that far away recently in another beautiful valley following the Freestone creek but thankfully missed the rain.

I think you might have to get a bigger chainsaw , I don't think DSE are cleaning up much.

Keep on exploring.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 506759

Sponsored Links