From Alice to Pilbra

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 12:26
ThreadID: 101139 Views:2094 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
We're heading over from Alice Springs to Marble Bar during June July August via Gary Junction track and wondering if anyone has had any recent experience.
One of us will be towing a rather large Kedron and basically need to know if the track is suitable.
We were thinking of joining the Telfer mine road to Marble Bar. Any insight re fuel, camp sites etc would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks
Judy and Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 13:29

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 13:29
We have not done the Gary Juction Track (yet) but did the Gunbarrel in 2010 East from Carnegie station with a 19' Bushtracker. Magic trip with no problems. Heavily corrugated in places with a few washouts. Some places the track was hemmed in by the Mulga Trees - but their soft foliage created no issues if you drove carefully through at a walking pace. Whilst not the same the country would be similiar I suspect

Cheers John
AnswerID: 506976

Follow Up By: jimbamb - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:54

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:54
hi john
we are travelling to laverton and were hoping to go to carnegie from there via prenti downs. which road did you go to carnegie and do you know if its possible to go through the lake wells track. we will be driving in 2 vehicles, a hilux and a landcruiser towing a camper trailer. we would appreciate any information you can give us.
thank you
kay

FollowupID: 784183

Follow Up By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 19:56

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 19:56
We looked after Lorna Glen and Earaheedy Stations for DEC for 14 months in 2008/9 From Wiluna we headed up Granite Peak road, past Millrose Station Where we spent 5 months helping Rex and Norma Ward with their mustering. Through Sydney Heads, not a bad spot for a camp and on past Glen Alye Station (belongs to Lou Ward - Rex Wards brother) to Carnegie. This is the northern route and is pretty in places. You could call into Millrose and say Hi to Rex and Norma or take a side trip out to Lorna Glen and stay a couple of days. Great BBQ, etc in green lawns and has showers and toilets. DEC have been doing an endangered species release program there.

Or, you could take the "middle road" along the Wongawol Road up to Carnegie, not quite as scenic as the Granite Peak Rd but still interesting or take the southerly route via the Wongawol Rd, out to Prenti down then north to Carnegie - cannot advise as I have never done that trip.

The two roads first mentioned are usually in pretty good condition, wide and usually well graded - once you get well out of Wiluna anyway. Pretty much camp where you like, plenty of fire wood just be very careful with the fires, making sure they are well dead and buried before leaving. You can usually get fuel etc at Carnegie but I would check before departing Wiluna. There may not be fuel at Wiluna, The supermarket that sold the fuel closed as we were leaving and I do not know the current status. Fill up at Leinster if coming up from the south.

Hope this is of some value

John

FollowupID: 784231

Follow Up By: jimbamb - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 23:07

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 23:07
thank you very much for the reply, it sounds like you had an interesting trip.
thanks again and really appreciate all your information
kay
FollowupID: 784248

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 17:18

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 17:18
A decent blog here Jude.

http://www.bushtrackerforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1702
AnswerID: 506992

Reply By: Judy L - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 17:48

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 17:48
Well, thank you for your advice. Excellent reading and very grateful for the information.
Sounds like our friends will make it after all!

Cheers
Judy
AnswerID: 506996

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 20:21

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 20:21
Hi Judy

A lovely drive - and not as corrugated as most inland roads. My blogs cover - the main one here: Gary Junction Blog

Check links for more details including where you can get fuel and good campsites or Google "Can you get fuel on the Gary Junction Road between Marble Bar and Alice Springs?". You will have no problems with your Kedron; enjoy the scenery.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 507004

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 23:23

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 23:23
We were on the Gary Junction for its full length in July. The road is a reasonably well maintained but will get a bit rough in and around the communities. No problems with the van providing the usual cautions are taken. It's quite nice for a camp around the Dovers Hills area west of Kintore.

From Kurnawaritji on, the Telfor mine road is a great hall road. Again, it is roughest around the communities of Punmu and Kurnawaritji. From Woodie Woodie you are on the bitumen of the Rippon Hills Road all the way to Marble Bar. Watch out for the 3 dog side dumpers carting manganese out of Woodie Woodie. They can be a bugger on your windscreen. This section of road is particularly scenic and a favourite of ours.

Blogs and a bit of video;

On the Gary Juntion from Telfer

A few issues on the Gary Juntion Road

On the Gary Junction heading North from Alice (via Haasts Bluff)

Gary Junction to Mount Webb

Gary Juntion - Kiwirrkurra & the Pollock Hills

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 507015

Follow Up By: Judy L - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 07:27

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 07:27
Hi Mick O,
That's a pretty impressive reply!
Lots of "thank you's" for that.
The video makes me want to go now!

How was the fuel situation? There are 3 of us, all with Deisel Land cruisers.

Judy & Peter
FollowupID: 784164

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:02

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:02
A great drive, one of our favorites.
Slide show from 2008.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome.
AnswerID: 507033

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:03

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:03